Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

renting references

renting references

Old Mar 20th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough
Default renting references

Hi, just interested to know if anyone knows if you are at a disadvantage if , when you come to oz and try to rent a place but in the uk you were a home owner/mortgage payer so do not have any renting references.

just read a post about renting where by the poster advised that you have a much better change of securing a place if you are one of a number of applicants for the property but you have good references from previous rentals.

We have owned our place for the last 3 years but did have a 6 month rental before that but cant find any rental reference in our records and probably too long ago now to get one, does bringing mortgage statements etc count as the same thing,

cheers, ross........
Old Mar 20th 2005, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renting references

We had no problem getting a rental but I did bring two references from UK, from people that we knew or had worked for, as a way of a character reference. This seemed to be sufficient. Also to be on the safe side we brought a bank statement and utility bill.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Ian_H has a spectacular aura aboutIan_H has a spectacular aura aboutIan_H has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mand8002
We had no problem getting a rental but I did bring two references from UK, from people that we knew or had worked for, as a way of a character reference. This seemed to be sufficient. Also to be on the safe side we brought a bank statement and utility bill.
Hi Ross
We have owned for seven years, and have never rented. We have been told to get a reference from the estate agent that sells your house. Ask them to confirm that you left the property in good order. Mortgage statements will prove that you are reliable at paying rent. Hope this helps
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

I'm so glad I came across thread. I've never rented and always been a home owner, but will be renting in Oz. I'd never thought about references at all!

I'm taking my dog too which I've heard will narrow my chances with properties so I think I'm gonna need a lot of luck when finding a house to rent!

I'll take the advice about getting a ref from our Estate Agent and grab a few character ref's before I leave I think.

Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I'm so glad I came across thread. I've never rented and always been a home owner, but will be renting in Oz. I'd never thought about references at all!

I'm taking my dog too which I've heard will narrow my chances with properties so I think I'm gonna need a lot of luck when finding a house to rent!

I'll take the advice about getting a ref from our Estate Agent and grab a few character ref's before I leave I think.

Cheers
we to will be looking to rent with our dog,so will do the same and try to get somekind of references.glad i read this one!
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough

thanks for the replies.

What about trying to rent before you get jobs, does this go against you badly as we will probably need somewhere to stay before we actually land jobs,

thanks, ross....