Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting property - some tips

Renting property - some tips

Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Location: Sydney since February (and loving it!), London before that.
pangit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting property - some tips

I received a couple of emails from estate agents in Sydney about what paperwork to bring to help in renting a house when you first arrive. I don't know how necessary some of this is, but I'll be taking the lot with me to make it as easy as possible, and I thought I'd pass it on you everybody.

Here's one:
To make life easy for you it would be a good idea to get your previous Real Estate agent (if you have rented before) to write you a reference on letter head saying that you paid your rent on time and kept the property in good condition._ If possible get a couple of references from different Real Estate Agents if you have rented a few properties.

It is also important to prove that you can afford to rent the property, if you have a job in Australia a reference from your employer stating that you work for them and in a full time position etc is fine._ If not a bank statement showing that you have sufficient funds in your account.
_
This should be sufficient, a landlord wants to know that you will look after the property and you will pay the rent on time.
And the other one:
In regards to references/documentation, you will need tenancy references, personal references, copy of passport and visa and conformation of employment. If you have not secured employment yet, we will require a copy of a bank statement confirming that you can support yourself during your stay.

A personal reference should be from a person who knows you in both business and personal life. A reference should state how long they have known you, what sort of a person you are, in what capacity they know you, and their opinion of you financial stability_(without going into depth)
_
Comments such as " .......... is of reputable character" " Is financial stable in my opinion" "alway meets his commitments" are all statements that would normally appear in a personal/character reference.
Hope they help!

Pangit
Old Jan 9th 2004, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thanks that will come in handy.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Having loads of money in the bank will not get you into a rental property with some agents....we know this as it happened to us! We proved we had a six figure sum in the bank and we were turned down by the owner because I put down on the form I did not have a job.

We got round it by paying 6 months rent up front........not ideal, but at least we had a roof over our heads!

Steve