Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Oz - white goods/rates

Renting in Oz - white goods/rates

Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:00 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Oz - white goods/rates

Originally Posted by xzibit
But then many people couldn't work out why I wanted a toilet plumbed into my lounge so I didn't have to miss out on any of the F1 by going to the bathroom.
Well, well, well. I have one of those as well! Are you my long lost twin!

Sorry, we are going way off topic now. Luckily the OP is not a newbie, so will probably be used to this!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
But then many people couldn't work out why I wanted a toilet plumbed into my lounge so I didn't have to miss out on any of the F1 by going to the bathroom.

Edit: @ Pollyana - WTF?? That's just crazy. Do ozzies generally not bother washing their clothes? I wouldn't rent/buy anywhere that didn't have room for a washing machine. I could kind of cope with a communal laundry room, but to have it outside...

Anyway, I fear this is going a little off topic. Sorry.
It was only the fact that everything else ticked the boxes that convinced me, I must say. And its a quiet corner of a quiet block, but all the same its weird. The landlord is just too tight to board the underneath of the house in.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:09 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Place I live now has a completely open space under the units - open to passers-by, the weather, any cat looking for something to pee on....... and the only space for the three units to put washing machines is there, by three huge sinks under the units. No option really as there is nowhere to fit the machine inside the unit, even if it could be got up the steps. Means for one thing the machine can't be covered by insurance, which is insane. I'm quite resigned to the fact I'll come home one day and find it either gone, or destroyed by a storm and I'll have to fork out for a new one
Spiders????
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:15 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Well, well, well. I have one of those as well! Are you my long lost twin!

Sorry, we are going way off topic now. Luckily the OP is not a newbie, so will probably be used to this!
Haha! well used to it

So basically I will most likely have to buy a fridge/freezer and possibly a friggin washing machine too?! And have it in the bathroom??

I HATE laundrettes, HATE! I used to spend time in one in Streatham (doing laundry, not just casually hanging out...) and it was the most depressing place in the world. Made me feel like I was living in Eastenders...

Maybe I'll just 'weekend' at my brothers in the 'Gong, he has a utility room outside the house right next to the washing line in the yard, makes perfect sense to me.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:53 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Spiders????
Not as yet.........
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:56 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by RedT
Haha! well used to it

So basically I will most likely have to buy a fridge/freezer and possibly a friggin washing machine too?! And have it in the bathroom??

I HATE laundrettes, HATE! I used to spend time in one in Streatham (doing laundry, not just casually hanging out...) and it was the most depressing place in the world. Made me feel like I was living in Eastenders...

Maybe I'll just 'weekend' at my brothers in the 'Gong, he has a utility room outside the house right next to the washing line in the yard, makes perfect sense to me.
Lots of places have separate laundry rooms so you may well be OK.
Know the feeling about launderettes - when I was at college I had a part-time job in one. Three lasting memories - the hairdressing salon that used to bring in approx 300 towels for service washes each day; the local vet who used to bring in DOG BLANKETS covered in all sorts of yuck to be washed each night (never did my washing there once I realised that!), and the old men who used to bring in carrier bags of clothes for service washes...you can imagine what they smelt of Worst job I ever had, I was soooo glad to leave and move up in the world to telesales for double-glazing
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi RedT, am I right in thinking you're going to end up in Sydney in a smallish house or an apartment?

You'll probably have a "laundry" in a cupboard, maybe in your bathroom. Alternatively if you get an apartment in a converted house, an outdoor laundry. (Mmmm, spiders ) Either way, the washing machine will likely be down to you, and almost certainly the FF will be.

Are you shipping yours over? If so, you can lease them short-term.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:52 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bad experience renting a fridge from a rental company: in short, it was old when they promised me a new one, and it had cockroaches living in it. I will name and shame later today bc I have forgotten the company name (they are a chain).

If you're buying, go to Winnings APpliances or somewhere similar - they sell Bosch and other factory returns, overstocks etc. Many are brand new in box, all with the usual guarantees and delivery.
http://www.winningappliances.com.au/
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HelenTD
It's also possible to buy what is called a bar fridge here (about the size of a lot of UK underbench fridges) for a reasonably small amount of $. We've got one of those in the garage for bbq drinks.
Extra special red hot price of $249 in Harvey Norman advert today, 115 litre bar fridge.

or $195 shopping around
Attached Thumbnails Renting in Oz - white goods/rates-bar-fridge.png  

Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not as yet.........
Well I won't be visiting you any time soon. I don't do open doors/windows/walls unless there is a screen door closed in the space. I get really twitchy going to houses where they leave the doors and screen doors open, I'm always imagining a plate sized spider or cockroach to come running towards me
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:54 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well I won't be visiting you any time soon. I don't do open doors/windows/walls unless there is a screen door closed in the space. I get really twitchy going to houses where they leave the doors and screen doors open, I'm always imagining a plate sized spider or cockroach to come running towards me
I'm safe from a visit then , no fly screens here and surprisingly not too many insects except for the mozzies that used to eat Bernie, and they left when he did
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

The 3 rentals we have lived in all had a cooker and 2 of them had dishwashers in them with rates we have not paid them at all the landlord does,water we didnt pay when we was in Mackay Queensland but here in New South Wales we are paying just for water use.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:06 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of places have separate laundry rooms so you may well be OK.
Know the feeling about launderettes - when I was at college I had a part-time job in one. Three lasting memories - the hairdressing salon that used to bring in approx 300 towels for service washes each day; the local vet who used to bring in DOG BLANKETS covered in all sorts of yuck to be washed each night (never did my washing there once I realised that!), and the old men who used to bring in carrier bags of clothes for service washes...you can imagine what they smelt of Worst job I ever had, I was soooo glad to leave and move up in the world to telesales for double-glazing
Oh that sounds just LOVELY! I used to have people trying to blag 20ps off me for the washer. Some of them seemed a bit unhinged so I used to bring extra to give away...it was either that or argue with them...

Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:08 pm
not sure...

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi RedT, am I right in thinking you're going to end up in Sydney in a smallish house or an apartment?

You'll probably have a "laundry" in a cupboard, maybe in your bathroom. Alternatively if you get an apartment in a converted house, an outdoor laundry. (Mmmm, spiders ) Either way, the washing machine will likely be down to you, and almost certainly the FF will be.

Are you shipping yours over? If so, you can lease them short-term.
Yep, definitely small house or flat I reckon. We had a laundry in a cupboard in the holiday apartment we had in Cairns and it was grand, I just don't fancy actually having it in the bathroom.

My bro has an outdoor laundry and I never saw any spiders...then again, I wasn't really looking

We're not shipping anything other than books, clothes etc, definitely no furniture or white good (maybe the hoover though once I saw the price of them in Oz!! )

Are you settled in to your new place yet?

Tx