British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Renting in Oz - white goods/rates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/renting-oz-white-goods-rates-680394/)

RedT Aug 9th 2010 12:58 pm

Renting in Oz - white goods/rates

Hi all,

Am I correct to assume that even in an unfurnished rental white goods will be provided in the kitchen? Daft question I'm sure but I know the rental market is different so I thought it best just to check! Don't fancy moving in and having to go buy a fridge etc! :rofl:

Also, as a tenant do you have to pay any council tax type rates etc?

ta in advance!

Tx

Sherlock Holmes Aug 9th 2010 1:09 pm

Re: Renting in Oz - white goods/rates

I'm surprised you haven't had any answers to this yet - so I've bumped it back up the list by replying.

I think (only) that white goods will be there and that rates are paid by the owner. However, this may vary so hang on for some better advice!:)

HelenTD Aug 9th 2010 1:14 pm

As far as I know, you can only rely on an oven/stove being supplied. That's all we got in our rental a few years ago, and that's all we saw in the various properties we viewed, although one place only had a microwave:eek:. We also look after 2 other properties and an oven is all they've got as well.

Another thread a few days ago talked about where to hire whitegoods and other stuff when you first arrive. I think the discussion was about Perth, but the info should apply nationwide. It's also possible to buy what is called a bar fridge here (about the size of a lot of UK underbench fridges) for a reasonably small amount of $. We've got one of those in the garage for bbq drinks.

As far as bills are concerned, as a tenant you pay the rent (plus any bonds, etc), the water usage, gas and electricity. If you're lucky, any lawnmowing might be paid by the owner, sometimes pool maintenance as well.

Sherlock Holmes Aug 9th 2010 1:21 pm

Aldi (from time to time) are knocking out fridges and freezers (separates) that are roughly under shelf size and also bigger freezers for low dollars. You have to be quick mind (here at least) as they fly off the shelf. Occasionally they knock the last few out even cheaper but it's a gamble if you wait.

We have bought one of each of the above and they have performed well. :) We also have a monster fridge but you can probably manage without one to start with.

RedT Aug 9th 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks all!

So it looks like we might have to buy a bloody fridge/freezer then. Off I go to add that to my 'things to buy on arrival' spreadsheet...(it's a slow day at work, inevitably the spreadsheet comes out...!)

Tx

Pollyana Aug 9th 2010 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by RedT (Post 8763600)
Thanks all!

So it looks like we might have to buy a bloody fridge/freezer then. Off I go to add that to my 'things to buy on arrival' spreadsheet...(it's a slow day at work, inevitably the spreadsheet comes out...!)

Tx

My experience is that a lot of places provide a dishwasher and an oven/cooker/hob, beyond that though its largely up to the tenant. Fridge or fridge/freezer is almost always down to the tenant.
As for the rates, generally the council rates are paid by the owner, as are the basic water rates (at least in Queensland) - some owners will bill for excess water usage though, so check it all out when signing the contract.

xzibit Aug 9th 2010 2:33 pm

What about washing machines?

And you're not allowed to put them in the Kitchen are you? Have to be in Utility or Bathroom?!? Damn useful if you've got a tiny bathroom in a flat that is!!

HelenTD Aug 9th 2010 2:38 pm

You might be lucky and get a washing machine included, doubt it, though. I hadn't heard that you're not allowed to put one in a kitchen, it's just that most places have a laundry/utility room. Some unit complexes have a shared laundry room, if the bathrooms are too small to fit one in. Or there's always the laundrette ...

Pollyana Aug 9th 2010 2:41 pm

A few places come with a washing machine, but usually you supply your own. Can stick them where you like, they often aren't plumbed in, and you have to attach them to taps on laundry sinks, that kind of thing. Some units have communal laundries, some house/units have a laundry room, many kitchens don't have the space for a machine, varies a lot.

Sherlock Holmes Aug 9th 2010 2:42 pm

Not allowed in the kitchen - tongue in cheek maybe? My Aussie wife couldn't understand my washer in the kitchen in England..simple really, there was nowhere else. Utility rooms seem ingrained.

Not sure about not allowed but the plumber will give you a funny look for sure! :)

Pollyana Aug 9th 2010 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8763751)
Not allowed in the kitchen - tongue in cheek maybe? My Aussie wife couldn't understand my washer in the kitchen in England..simple really, there was nowhere else. Utility rooms seem ingrained.

Not sure about not allowed but the plumber will give you a funny look for sure! :)

unless he's a pom :lol:

xzibit Aug 9th 2010 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8763751)

Yes a bit tongue in cheek - I design houses for a living, and design a space for a WM, and the plumbing for it. Just seems so alien that many places don't have a dedicated space for a WM!! I've seen so many people with them plumbed into taps in the Bathrooms. Crazy...

Sherlock Holmes Aug 9th 2010 2:52 pm

I musn't bore you to death (but I will) but when my transportable office was plumbed in, the Oz plumber (a bloody good bloke) was horrified that there wasn't plumbing in the bathroom (a public one for the office) for a washing machine and begged me to let him add it. I showed him the space in the kitchenette thingy with the plumbing already there (as per my design request) for the machine and he just couldn't work it out! :)

Pollyana Aug 9th 2010 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by xzibit (Post 8763761)
Yes a bit tongue in cheek - I design houses for a living, and design a space for a WM, and the plumbing for it. Just seems so alien that many places don't have a dedicated space for a WM!! I've seen so many people with them plumbed into taps in the Bathrooms. Crazy...

Place I live now has a completely open space under the units - open to passers-by, the weather, any cat looking for something to pee on....... and the only space for the three units to put washing machines is there, by three huge sinks under the units. No option really as there is nowhere to fit the machine inside the unit, even if it could be got up the steps. Means for one thing the machine can't be covered by insurance, which is insane. I'm quite resigned to the fact I'll come home one day and find it either gone, or destroyed by a storm and I'll have to fork out for a new one :rolleyes:

xzibit Aug 9th 2010 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8763767)
I musn't bore you to death (but I will) but when my transportable office was plumbed in, the Oz plumber (a bloody good bloke) was horrified that there wasn't plumbing in the bathroom (a public one for the office) for a washing machine and begged me to let him add it. I showed him the space in the kitchenette thingy with the plumbing already there (as per my design request) for the machine and he just couldn't work it out! :)

But then many people couldn't work out why I wanted a toilet plumbed into my lounge so I didn't have to miss out on any of the F1 by going to the bathroom. :rofl:

Edit: @ Pollyana - WTF?? That's just crazy. Do ozzies generally not bother washing their clothes? I wouldn't rent/buy anywhere that didn't have room for a washing machine. I could kind of cope with a communal laundry room, but to have it outside...

Anyway, I fear this is going a little off topic. Sorry.