Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Oz, could do with some reassurance

Renting in Oz, could do with some reassurance

Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:02 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting in Oz, could do with some reassurance

I'm a bit worried about whether i'm going to have problems finding somewhere to rent when i arrive in Oz.

I'm a single bloke with no job offer but am confident i'll find work reasonably quickly once i get there, will also have enought cash to support myself for at least 6 months.

But will the estate/letting agents etc rent to me?? or am i going to have problems?

Any advice or thoughts would be great.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Renting in Oz, could do with some reassurance

Where are you going and what do you want to rent?

I can only tell you about Sydney, but if you want shared accommodation there are endless houses/units with rooms to rent where you will get reasonably priced accommodation in nice areas with plenty happening, no hassle with agents, and maybe some nice people who will show you round a new city and introduce you to their mates. When you have a job you can then think about getting somewhere on your own.

If you want to do that you need a copy of Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald which will have lots of ads under "shared accommodation".
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

It is widely recognised that the rental market is at its lowest vacany rate in years, it is pushed quite heavilly in the papers here.

That said, plenty of people have house shares and are looking for room mates. Spend an evening at a pub and I am sure you would find someone needing a flat mate. Vacancies arent plentiful (in Melbourne at least) but I know of several just in my circle of friends.

Cross that bridge when it comes, it will be ok.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:02 pm

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, sharing is definately a good idea have done it here in the uk before but was put off alittle as my last flatmates were a bunch of party animals whereas i like the quiet life.

At the moment i'm looking at the airlie beach area as i've worked in a marine engineering/holiday rep roll for the last ten years, plus i loved it there last time i visited.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't choose an unemployed person from overseas personally to rent my property to. Agree you should try sharing until you have a job.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by augigi
I wouldn't choose an unemployed person from overseas personally to rent my property to. Agree you should try sharing until you have a job.
Very true, nothings ever easy is it lol.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

And if you have rented before, and are able to, can you bring a reference from your landlord to say that you are a reliable payer etc. Not that it is a guarantee you will get a place but every little bit helps given the dearth of places these days.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:56 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bello
I'm a bit worried about whether i'm going to have problems finding somewhere to rent when i arrive in Oz...
Can you put 3, or even better 6, months rent down up front...? Money talks...
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:05 pm

Think i'd struggle to get references as i've always rented off freinds and family apart from an industrial unit that i rented for awhile.

It wouldn't be a problem to pay 6 months up front though, infact it'd be quite nice to pay up like that then not worry about the rent bill for half a year
If i give the agent that offer as soon as i see somewhere i like do you think that'd sway the decision for them?
Thanks btw
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:08 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bello
...If i give the agent that offer as soon as i see somewhere i like do you think that'd sway the decision for them?...
Worked for us... We viewed about 12-15 properties here on the Northern Beaches before we saw something we really wanted... Offered double the deposit if they'd let us have dogs and 3 months rent in advance... Shook hands on the deal straight away...
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by DrWho
Worked for us... We viewed about 12-15 properties here on the Northern Beaches before we saw something we really wanted... Offered double the deposit if they'd let us have dogs and 3 months rent in advance... Shook hands on the deal straight away...
Thanks for that, i officially feel reassured now
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

www.thegumtree.com see column on far right side.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
www.thegumtree.com see column on far right side.
Bookmarked, thanks for that
I've only been using realestate.com.au so far..