Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting Accommodation - Before or after you leave UK?

Renting Accommodation - Before or after you leave UK?

Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future
Default Renting Accommodation - Before or after you leave UK?

When you know you are ready to move to Oz how do you go about renting accommodation. Do you book into a hotel for a couple of weeks and then find a place to rent or do you enter into a rent agreement before you get to Oz? How long is a typical rental agreement (in case you don't like the place)?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:50 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting Accommodation - Before or after you leave UK?

Originally Posted by cybie
When you know you are ready to move to Oz how do you go about renting accommodation. Do you book into a hotel for a couple of weeks and then find a place to rent or do you enter into a rent agreement before you get to Oz? How long is a typical rental agreement (in case you don't like the place)?
Hi,

When we're ready to go we plan on renting a holiday let for a couple of weeks and then get a short term lease for about 6 months. That way we'll have a better idea of areas etc.

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:30 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Brisbane at least, renting from the UK in any half decent area is quite hard as there is alot of competition for rental properties, so most agents dont even want to know about you until you are actually in the country. Also, as many people will attest to, alot of long term rentals are pretty scruffy, so its definitely better to see them in person before handing over your cold hard cash. And unless you know the areas that you are looking at fairly well, you could end up somewhere pretty dire in a really dodgy area which isnt always a good start to your new life .

Most people tend to rent short term furnished apartments & houses etc for a couple of weeks to enable them to get their bearings & find somewhere suitable in an area that they like.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:51 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others responses. Where are you planning on going and what time of year - it can make a difference with the type of accommodation avialable and price obviously. There was another thread on here about some recommendations on the short term holiday stays try searching under Big4 I think.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get temporary accomodation, a mailbox and apply for work. Once I had work, I would then choose the area to live in. Having work also helps as they will want references etc and also would determine how much rent I could also afford, and therefore the type of rental I could afford.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I'm going to stay in a hostel, or holiday let for a couple of weeks while I look for a 6-12 month lease.

SS
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

We have decided to do a short-term let for 4 weeks, taking a holiday when we get there and also researching areas. Hopefully in that time we will be able to decide where to take longer term rented accomodation.

Theresa
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

so chuffed somebody asked this question as i wasn't sure whether people rented before they left or after they arrived.

i can definately recommend BIG4 camp , holiday sites as i've stayed in them a couple of times on previos trips to oz.

never in a million years though would i have thought about renting a mobile home for a short let! what a great idea and the prices are really good too and all facilities excellent.

thanks folks

debs x
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:41 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, just took a look at BIG4 website, this is a brilliant idea...is there restrictions on how long you can stay? Cheers
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:10 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
never in a million years though would i have thought about renting a mobile home for a short let! what a great idea and the prices are really good too and all facilities excellent.
Just a comment Debs, you may want to check the prices of cabins against other short term rentals - in our case, our fully furnished 4 bedroom home with everything provided is actually cheaper than staying in a cabin in the closest Big4 park in a cabin.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Just a comment Debs, you may want to check the prices of cabins against other short term rentals - in our case, our fully furnished 4 bedroom home with everything provided is actually cheaper than staying in a cabin in the closest Big4 park in a cabin.
thanks mrs dagboy, i haven't checked prices yet because its quite a way off for us yet. but i'll bare it in mind.

would you advice coming out and staying 3 or 4 weeks is long enough to find a rental property?

debs x
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:55 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You're right there Mrs D, i did a comparison the other day on prices of different accommodation types as opposed to fully furnished and equipped homes, i have published the findings on our site, but the gist of it is that short of a tent pitch you wont find anything more reasonable plus you have everything you need right down to your wooden spoons and washing machine.

Debs

We usually recommend a short term rental for at least 3 weeks, you can do it in less if you know the area well and have a little bit of luck, but most people stay for longer, leaving when their furniture arrives. But it is different for everyone, depending on whether you are travelling with young children or if you like your home comforts or are happy to sleep on the floor while you wait for your belongings to arrive. (Sorry Mrs D I'm answering your question)

I can only comment on Perth, those in other cities may have other ideas.

Lynn
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We seem to be doing the same as a lot of others renting a holiday apartment for four weeks which we think will give us plenty of time to find a good house to rent. Were looking at renting the house from 6 months to a year but will decide this as we go along
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Lynne, no problem .

Debs, in Brisbane in our area it seems to take about 3-4 weeks to find a rental, so you're pretty right. People have commented that its hard to find something decent, it usually takes them at least that long especially if they want a specific area. So in that 3-4 weeks you can get your bearings, decide which suburb you want to live in & then find your rental.

Most people that stay with us dont wait until their furniture arrives (unlike Lynn's mob in Perth) & usually just buy/borrow stuff to get them by. As Lynn said, it depends on the family & what you need/expect, its different for everyone .
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:56 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting this question,i was wondering this myself .
Ive also been thinking about what to do when we get there and know i now were having a holiday.
Anyone know of anywhere nice to stay around melbourne way?

Last edited by lor; Aug 11th 2005 at 12:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.