Renting?

Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Default Renting?

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if you have to have proof of earnings to rent a property in Oz, like you do in the UK? As a new migrant do they take into concideration that you won't have a job immediately, very little or no capital?

Thanks
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting?

Originally Posted by Marlo
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if you have to have proof of earnings to rent a property in Oz, like you do in the UK? As a new migrant do they take into concideration that you won't have a job immediately, very little or no capital?

Thanks
Proof of earning is one of the primary things the agent wants to see. If (like us) you opt not to work for a few months after arriving, then renting becomes a problem. (Would you rent your property to a family with no income and no history that you can check?)
However, if you offer to pay a certain part of the rent up front as a goodwill gesture, this magically seems to remove any other requirements with most landlords. Guess, money talks!
We paid 6 months in advance initially and have had no problems since, but we do have some income now, so we shouldn't be in that situation again
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:20 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
Proof of earning is one of the primary things the agent wants to see. If (like us) you opt not to work for a few months after arriving, then renting becomes a problem. (Would you rent your property to a family with no income and no history that you can check?)
However, if you offer to pay a certain part of the rent up front as a goodwill gesture, this magically seems to remove any other requirements with most landlords. Guess, money talks!
We paid 6 months in advance initially and have had no problems since, but we do have some income now, so we shouldn't be in that situation again
Sorry don't know who you went with all we had to do is say i had a job and that was it not one of the agents we went with wanted to see what i was earning we are now with Raine & Horne and they did not ask to see what i was payed. they were more interested in references so bring as much about any renting you did in the UK,Raine & Horne will ring the UK to get references from those you put down.P.S forgot to mention did not have a job realy just gave them the number of a friend that said i workrd for him but they did not even ring him. But as said by MarkandJulie it can be very hard to get a place to live with out that kind of help.

Last edited by Homer; Aug 7th 2005 at 6:24 am.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

What happens if you have never rented in the uk because you have always owned a house?
I can't get proof of renting because i never did it.
I can give them a letter from a hire purchase company that i got my car from which shows i didn't miss a payment,would this help?
Lynn
Old Aug 7th 2005, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
What happens if you have never rented in the uk because you have always owned a house?
I can't get proof of renting because i never did it.
I can give them a letter from a hire purchase company that i got my car from which shows i didn't miss a payment,would this help?
Lynn

Nope, it's didn't help us one bit. We had to show proof of income, give references (the only one we had was the friend we stayed with when we arrived) AND pay a hefty bit of cash upfront. They're right bastards & don't give a fig about you having owned a house or anything before.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 8:46 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Marlo
Hi All,

Thanks
We didn't have much of a problem, i think most real estate agents assume the uk migrants come over with some capital behind them, we didn't have jobs, we got a couple of references from relatives over here saying we where ok people and trustworthy, we paid a month upfront and the bond, I did however offer to pay 6 months all in one go but they declined.
Its worth going to several real estate people and seeing what their criteria is.
Jenny
Old Aug 7th 2005, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Different agents have different requirements. Mine photocopied my job offer letter (hadn't started the job yet) and did actually ring my new employer to check I would be working there. Problem came with giving references because I hadn't rented in the UK, owner-occupier. Needed to give someone's name in Australia, not a relative. Luckily had one name to give but she had come over at the same time as me so not an established resident! Point to note - lots of things here work on a fortnight. Get paid fortnightly, pay the rent fortnightly.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Thank you all for your replies.

This information is for friends who will be out there soon and having a bit of a nightmare trying to find accommodation.

Old Aug 9th 2005, 8:00 pm
FVC
Forum Regular

FVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the rough

Hi, like you we have never rented as we own our house in UK. We have got a reference ftom our mortgage company stating that we have not defaulted on any payments it cost us £10.

Hopefully this will be enough an proof of my husbands earnings, however as we are not there yet time will tell!!!!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 8:05 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now we don't have jobs (i'm nurse and hubbie design engineer) it seems easier to job hunt when we are actually there (because i'm looking for community nurse work not ward work)

We have never rented in UK but was thinking of getting my mums partner Alex to do us a ref as we are living at my mums just now - the would verify that we were good renters if they phoned them.

It worries me that not having a job might affect us - surely loads of people arrive in Oz with no job initially and no family?

Our family are arriving back in UK for 1 year any day now so we won't have any family or friends out there in Brisbane. Is our only option to get a job or pay 6 months rent upfront?! Surely not???

Lynn
Old Aug 10th 2005, 1:19 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Right now we don't have jobs (i'm nurse and hubbie design engineer) it seems easier to job hunt when we are actually there (because i'm looking for community nurse work not ward work)

We have never rented in UK but was thinking of getting my mums partner Alex to do us a ref as we are living at my mums just now - the would verify that we were good renters if they phoned them.

It worries me that not having a job might affect us - surely loads of people arrive in Oz with no job initially and no family?

Our family are arriving back in UK for 1 year any day now so we won't have any family or friends out there in Brisbane. Is our only option to get a job or pay 6 months rent upfront?! Surely not???

Lynn
We got away with just showing a bank statement with enough in for a few months rent and a credit card statement showing plenty of capacity there...

at the end of the day whatever method you use, you just have to show them you can pay the rent.... if it gets sticky offer an extra month up front or a bit bigger bond another grand or something? that should work
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:36 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjonboy
We got away with just showing a bank statement with enough in for a few months rent and a credit card statement showing plenty of capacity there...

at the end of the day whatever method you use, you just have to show them you can pay the rent.... if it gets sticky offer an extra month up front or a bit bigger bond another grand or something? that should work
Thanks good advice, will remember that,

Lynn