Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving license?

Driving license?

Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about
Default Driving license?

so whats the deal with the driving license thing??

I have a full uk bike and car license and would love to know what i will need to be doing when i get to oz?

i hear stories of people giving up the uk license for a aussie one, is this true?

will i need to retake all my tests again?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

annajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Driving license?

Hi Pickle

It depends on the State you intend to move to, as licensing regulations differ by State. For instance, I know now in Victoria you can simply trade your UK car licence for a Victorian one.

Anna
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

Queensland.

if its a trade do i loose my uk license? don't think i want to loose my uk license.............maybe if i get a extra copy of my uk license..........just a thought.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

annajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Driving license?

Well I think they ask you to hand in your licence, so yes you lose it in that sense.

Its very easy to swap back though. When I first arrived in the UK, I swapped my Victorian licence for a UK one. The DVLA kept my Victorian licence, so it seems to be a reciprocal arrangement.

Getting a duplicate UK licence sounds like a good idea if you can manage it.

Anna
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

opps i think i have lost my license...............i will have to apply for a new one
Old Aug 8th 2005, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

moke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pickle
Queensland.

if its a trade do i loose my uk license? don't think i want to loose my uk license.............maybe if i get a extra copy of my uk license..........just a thought.
Unfortunately (for me too!) QLD still require a theory test for UK license holders.
See http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...sing_question1

Dean
Old Aug 8th 2005, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moke
Unfortunately (for me too!) QLD still require a theory test for UK license holders.
See http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...sing_question1

Dean
PS: You don't lose your UK license, you have it cancelled for use in Australia. They normally do this by hope punching or cutting a notch in the plastic part of your licence.

Last edited by moke; Aug 8th 2005 at 6:13 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 6:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moke
PS: You don't lose your UK license, you have it cancelled for use in Australia. They normally do this by hope punching or cutting a notch in the plastic part of your licence.

PPS: If you fail your test, you are no longer allowed to drive in Australia on your UK licence!
Really They are not going to punch your UK one until you have passed the theory. If you can take it again and again presumably at some point you will pass. Another good reason to do it as soon as possible when you get there and not leave it until the three months are nearly up
Old Aug 8th 2005, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Really They are not going to punch your UK one until you have passed the theory. If you can take it again and again presumably at some point you will pass. Another good reason to do it as soon as possible when you get there and not leave it until the three months are nearly up
Apologies for the misinformation, I was just editing my post as you replied.
QLD apparently will let you keep driving upto the 3 allowed months after arrival.
I believe NSW does have a rule such as this but of course they no longer require a test for uk drivers.
Dean

Last edited by moke; Aug 8th 2005 at 6:31 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:44 pm
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

I have a full uk bike and car license and would love to know what i will need to be doing when i get to oz?

i hear stories of people giving up the uk license for a aussie one, is this true?

In WA your British licence is valid for 1 year as a tourist or 3 months if you are on a Permenent Visa. Your British licence becomes invalid after this time. To get a WA licence you only need to show your British licence so they can apply the relevent driving catagories, in your case car and motorbike. There is no theory test and it costs about $85.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:14 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Queensland.

You may as well apply for it when you get back. I think the cost is the same as getting a replacement. Also when you get back you can drive on your Aussie licence for a while

A.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
You may as well apply for it when you get back. I think the cost is the same as getting a replacement. Also when you get back you can drive on your Aussie licence for a while

A.
Not sure if anything has changed in UK, but in 1996, you could swap an Australian Licence for a UK one with no tests.

Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:22 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure if anything has changed in UK, but in 1996, you could swap an Australian Licence for a UK one with no tests.
Maybe, but then he doesn't need to do the test because he's already had a UK licence. I was referring to getting your old licence reinstated. I think it is the same charge as replacing a lost licence and is probably similar to the charge for getting your Aussie one converted.

A
PS: I just had a quick search and it looks like it is the same form (D1) and charge for coverting your foreign licence back to a UK one, as it is for replacing a lost/stolen one (£19). Whereas converting a foreign one, not having held a UK one, seems to cost £38.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/D100.pdf

Last edited by kirsty&al; Aug 9th 2005 at 12:45 am.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:56 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Maybe, but then he doesn't need to do the test because he's already had a UK licence. I was referring to getting your old licence reinstated. I think it is the same charge as replacing a lost licence and is probably similar to the charge for getting your Aussie one converted.

A
PS: I just had a quick search and it looks like it is the same form (D1) and charge for coverting your foreign licence back to a UK one, as it is for replacing a lost/stolen one (£19). Whereas converting a foreign one, not having held a UK one, seems to cost £38.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/D100.pdf
i have done exactly what you did, just phoned dvla up and said i'd lost my licence when i hadn't and got a new one sent out. Then when the buggers punctured my licence at the RTA in Sydney i still had an unblemished UK one...

Rules have changed but i had to do two theory tests one for my car and one for my motorbike. Changed now in NSW just and eye test done at the counter you apply at and payment of fees only in NSW
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:14 am
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we have been here a year and only just took our theory for the sa licenses, passed and cost us $25.00 for the test, you can just add your bike license as long as it is shown on your UK license. Nowadays they do not take your uk license as there is some sort of agreement between both countries as we as this question last week. You should take your driving license test within 3 months of arriving. we have found them lenient.Forgot to say yu then have the choice of pay for 1, 2, 3,4, 5, or 10years on a license. Hope this helps.

clevs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.