Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental terminology

Rental terminology

Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:51 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Rental terminology

We're moving to Oz in 2 weeks (Mandurah); one of the houses we like the look of, states that it is a "break lease" - what does this mean?

Also, do rental properties normally come with white goods?

Thanks

Kareena
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental terminology

Originally Posted by kar-kier
We're moving to Oz in 2 weeks (Mandurah); one of the houses we like the look of, states that it is a "break lease" - what does this mean?

Thanks

Kareena
Hiya, a break lease just means that the person who was renting the property has for 1 reason or antoher, decided to either rent somewhere else or move back to where they came from. An no, normaly the propery doesn't come wih white goods unless stated in the rental advertisement.
We are in Woodvale WA if you need a chat when you arrive.
Jackie
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:36 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Thanks for that. I thought that was what it meant, but then my husband thought it meant they could break the lease at any time.

I've sent my washing machine over, so glad they don't come with white goods!

And thanks for the offer of a chat!

Kareena
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:05 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I thought that was what it meant, but then my husband thought it meant they could break the lease at any time.
He's right, but they (the original tennant) have to give the agents/owner notice in writing and are responsible for any rents due and usually any costs involved in getting another tennant, until the new tennant takes over the lease. Also another reason they break the lease apart from renting elsewhere/moving back, is that they may, in the meantime, bought their own house.
http://www.rentalagreementsdiy.com.a...reement_sa.php

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 27th 2008 at 9:09 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

Yep - I've just broken my rental lease in Tapping - the reason being we found a house for sale with a price ticket that was just too good to miss out on. We're now responsible for the costs of finding new tennants. It's a bit of a pain, but apparently there'll be an influx of new people in January.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:15 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Kareena
If you dont pay the rent you get broken (legs)

Seriously its where a party usually the tenants need to leave before the end of the lease ie 6 or 12 months. With clearance from the landlord/agent its called a release or breakage of the lease.