Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rental - gardener not doing the gardening

rental - gardener not doing the gardening

Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:28 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default rental - gardener not doing the gardening

can anyone point me in the direction of legislation (or the like) that I can use against the rental agency for work (gardening) not carried out, even though it is included in the rent. Now nearly 2mths since certain gardening work should have been done, but many reminders from me, & excuses/promises broken (from them) still not done.

Of course can not stop or reduce rent payment to compensate, but do I have any grounds to claim compensation?

thanks
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:54 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rental - gardener not doing the gardening

Originally Posted by walaj
can anyone point me in the direction of legislation (or the like) that I can use against the rental agency for work (gardening) not carried out, even though it is included in the rent. Now nearly 2mths since certain gardening work should have been done, but many reminders from me, & excuses/promises broken (from them) still not done.

Of course can not stop or reduce rent payment to compensate, but do I have any grounds to claim compensation?

thanks
Of course you do. If its in your lease agreement that gardening is to be included then issue the Real Estate agency with a breach, just as they would if you didnt pay rent etc. If its not acted on within a certain period of time then courts can and will make compensation orders against the agent.

Depends on which state you are in to which Real Estate institute you need to get a breach form from.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:01 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Of course you do. If its in your lease agreement that gardening is to be included then issue the Real Estate agency with a breach, just as they would if you didnt pay rent etc. If its not acted on within a certain period of time then courts can and will make compensation orders against the agent.

Depends on which state you are in to which Real Estate institute you need to get a breach form from.
it is the period of time that I'm not sure on - we are in NSW - have looked (briefly) at nsw OFT re residential stuff but nothing jumping out at me re this kind of situation

just getting peed off that chasing them to do it we could have done it in less time, but on principle not done as don't like doing stuff I have paid someone else to do.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure when they say gardening they mean just that, only I've noticed a lot that say they include gardening but what they actually mean is someone comes to mow the lawn every so often. Dont think I've ever seen a gardening firm that actually does weeding or looking after the plants!!

When we had rental problems I got in touch with the Tenancy Advisory Service, I think they are state based but I would think NSW will have something similar, might just be called something else.

They're worth giving a call as we got some sound advice which resulted in my sending a letter to the real estate agent and all was resolved as soon as I said I'd spoken to them!

good luck
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:25 am
no longer searching

It states in contract that gardener is responsible for borders - at last inspection they were pointed out & agent sid would get gardener to do - the main pain is they are overhanging the pool causing the pool to be full of leaves at the slightest breeze, making that more work for us & not so nice to go for a swim)

(I know what you mean by putting mower in general direction of grass, then going)

any will look up TAS & give a call
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
It states in contract that gardener is responsible for borders
That's good then if it's specified in the contract good luck with TAS and let us know the outcome