Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental on arrival help & advice please.

Rental on arrival help & advice please.

Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rental on arrival help & advice please.

Hi everyone.

We arrive in Perth in August this year. we have been on holiday there before and used poms in perth furnished rentals for 3 weeks which are ideal for the newly arrived.I like PIP as we know them and they are very good.We are not taking much stuff and they are ready made rentals.

We want to stay in the northern suburbs and have found 3 that are in the right sort of area (Hocking & Pearsall),however we would like to live near kinross, Iluka or the surrounding suburbs after 3 months or so (we like that side of Perth).

The problem is getting the kids into a school near Hocking e.t.c then moving them again which is something we definitely don't want to do.

My question is how easy is it to get into a school out of catchment (5 & 7). I am thinking of maybe getting the kids into a school where we want to live and then getting a rental in that area couple of months later. Sorry for the long post and hope it makes sense.

BTW does anyone know of a good rental company in Perth they have personally used.

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:41 pm
Banned

Major Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rental on arrival help & advice please.

RE agents very hard work and sometimes I think arent interested or , have been educated at an infant school through out their lives.

As for catchment areas, I hear impossible unless your living in the catchment area.

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi everyone.

We arrive in Perth in August this year. we have been on holiday there before and used poms in perth furnished rentals for 3 weeks which are ideal for the newly arrived.I like PIP as we know them and they are very good.We are not taking much stuff and they are ready made rentals.

We want to stay in the northern suburbs and have found 3 that are in the right sort of area (Hocking & Pearsall),however we would like to live near kinross, Iluka or the surrounding suburbs after 3 months or so (we like that side of Perth).

The problem is getting the kids into a school near Hocking e.t.c then moving them again which is something we definitely don't want to do.

My question is how easy is it to get into a school out of catchment (5 & 7). I am thinking of maybe getting the kids into a school where we want to live and then getting a rental in that area couple of months later. Sorry for the long post and hope it makes sense.

BTW does anyone know of a good rental company in Perth they have personally used.

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Major Edmund Lockyer
RE agents very hard work and sometimes I think arent interested or , have been educated at an infant school through out their lives.

As for catchment areas, I hear impossible unless your living in the catchment area.
Thanks.
I am a realist and will probably just try to stay in initial rental area due to the schools. I mean I do like most areas I just prefer others.

Thanks James.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on where you want to live, we have a great rental agent in Joondalup. She went to bat for us with the owners so we could make our rental our home instead of just the house we live in. She's always there when we have a problem and returns calls usually within an hour or so if she's not in the office.

We live in Clarkson, so if you're looking at this area I could give you her name. Also, Bobcat is a real estate agent in Carramar, so maybe PM him for some ideas for houses.

And, as Major Edmund has said, if you're not in the catchment area then it's pretty difficult to get your children enrolled in the schools. Unless of course you intend to go private, then it won't matter.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Hi there,

We arrived and stayed in a furnished rental in Beldon (if you'd like I could PM you the details), and enrolled the kids in the local school there thinking we'd find a rental nearby.

As it turns out, there's half a dozen people going for each of the 4 or 5 rentals that are new on the market that week, so we were stumped. We're living in Carramar now, nice area - but didn't want to move the kids out of school after only just getting them used to the one at Beldon.

The lady at the school said not to worry about catchment area, she said as long as we're happy having to travel to drop off/pick kids up then fine for them to stay there. You'll probably find that whichever rental you get, you'd move anyway, so i think its going to be inevitable that the kids move schools at some point, main priority is to get them in the same school to make life easier.

As we're building, we'll wait til we move again in about a year before changing schools.

sorry - this was a longwinded way of saying, some school won't be fussed, some will. Depends on the area/school and how much in demand it is.

Good luck,
KAREN
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Karen and Dorothy.

Weare looking at one in Tapping which is near St. Stephens school I think. Am I right in thinking that most private schools are the religious based ones.Also are they much different in standards to the state ones, thanks James.