Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental Agent References

Rental Agent References

Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Question Rental Agent References

Hiya-

Only 4 weeks to go now until we leave and am starting to panic- please help !!!!

I went on to some of the rental agency websites and had a look at the application form to see what type of references I would need.
I know there has been loads of threads on this before and I know I need to get references from mortgage company, estate agents etc but what is really stumping me is the personal references that seem to be required.

With two of the agencies it says I need 2 personal references and that they can't be family. Does anyone know if these need to be people in Australia ??
If so then I am stuck as the only person I know in Australia is my sister !

Also it asks for 2 business references aswell= does this mean just work references or references stating that you would be suitable and responsible to rent a property ??

I am really stressing about renting a place at the moment especially as we have two cats and that seems to make the process even harder.

We aim to pay 6 months rent up front so we had hoped this will make us more appealing as tenants !!

Thanks for your help

Nat
Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:50 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental Agent References

Hi Nat,

I don't know whether you saw the thread I started about a week ago? If not, here's the link. A few people responded, so that might be a starting point to reassure you a bit?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291000

Good luck!
GG

Originally Posted by natty
Hiya-

Only 4 weeks to go now until we leave and am starting to panic- please help !!!!

I went on to some of the rental agency websites and had a look at the application form to see what type of references I would need.
I know there has been loads of threads on this before and I know I need to get references from mortgage company, estate agents etc but what is really stumping me is the personal references that seem to be required.

With two of the agencies it says I need 2 personal references and that they can't be family. Does anyone know if these need to be people in Australia ??
If so then I am stuck as the only person I know in Australia is my sister !

Also it asks for 2 business references aswell= does this mean just work references or references stating that you would be suitable and responsible to rent a property ??

I am really stressing about renting a place at the moment especially as we have two cats and that seems to make the process even harder.

We aim to pay 6 months rent up front so we had hoped this will make us more appealing as tenants !!

Thanks for your help

Nat
Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:51 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Just done one of these succesfully.

I put down UK references with UK Mobile phone numbers ! they didnt ring them.

The main thing is that you can afford to pay - if you put the money down up front ( 3 mths should suffice rather than six ) then you're ok. If you've got mortgage statements etc then they're all good too. They are very used to dealing with this situation so dont worry about it - you'll be fine. You'll end up with LJ Hooker because they seem to have a monopoly over here !!! ;-) you'll see what I mean when you get here.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Just done one of these succesfully.

I put down UK references with UK Mobile phone numbers ! they didnt ring them.

The main thing is that you can afford to pay - if you put the money down up front ( 3 mths should suffice rather than six ) then you're ok. If you've got mortgage statements etc then they're all good too. They are very used to dealing with this situation so dont worry about it - you'll be fine. You'll end up with LJ Hooker because they seem to have a monopoly over here !!! ;-) you'll see what I mean when you get here.
The other large agent - certainly round here - is Ray White; we are taking up a rental from them, and although The Bloke has lived here for 11 years the git of a landlord will not give us a letter to prove it, nor does he have a contract. Ray White's were quite happy with proof we lived here (phone bills) and a phone call to the Dodgy Landlord Git, plus passport/licenec ID. They were more concerned to see letters confirming we could pay the rent, and although we supplied personal references in Oz and the UK none of them were contacted.
It seems that in spite of what their websites say, if you are completely honest with them - like telling them about our dodgy landlord - they will do what they can to help. we went round 8 different Real estate companies, and only one was a bit sticky, wanting a contract for the current place.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by natty

Nat

Don't stress...you've done the hard bit!

Here's what we needed;

2 Aussie contacts, personal/professional to give you a reference.
Bank statement, proving you can pay the rent for the term of the lease.
Evidence of regular mortgage payment in the UK. (if you didn't pay rent)
Bank reference from UK, confirming that you can organise your money.

this link was running last week

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292679