Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To Rent Out or Sell - that is the Question..

To Rent Out or Sell - that is the Question..

Old Oct 11th 2003, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

This is a long one.

My parents split up when my brother and I were very young.
My father, new wife and brother went out to Oz 34 years ago on the £10 each, 6 weeks on the boat.

My Mother and new stepfather went to live in Spain over 20 years ago. (He's Spanish).

15 years ago, we were all set for going out to Australia to start a new life, but were persuaded to go out to Spain. Made a lot of mistakes - one of them changing our mind about Australia. Then my husbands brother suddenly died, and that made hubby want to come back to UK.
Came back, picked up and carried on with life for all this time, but both wishing that we had gone to Australia.
I started to have more and more contact with brother, and then myself and youngest daughter went out to Oz for a long visit.
Straight away, fell in love with the place, and made sure that I checked out every little thing that could that probably brought us back from living in Spain.
Hubby kept asking what it was like, but decided that although I loved it, I definately wouldn't try and gloss it up for him.
Came back and really wanted to move out there, but didn't want it to be me that pushed us all to moving out there.
December came and hubby was made redundant.
He was getting on my nerves basically, so I went and got him a flight for the new year, and told him to go on a mission and make up his mind.
He looked at businesses, tax, schools, Albany, Bunbury, Mandurah, Rockingham, Perth, Freemantle, Estate agents, solicitors, accountants. You name it, he did it.
He came back and it has been 100% go for it.
I am glad that we went and did the Spain thing all those years ago, because we know where we made our mistakes, plus we are older now and you tend to see life differently as you get older.
I know that we won't be back.

Whisky
Old Oct 11th 2003, 5:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whisky
This is a long one.

My parents split up when my brother and I were very young.
My father, new wife and brother went out to Oz 34 years ago on the £10 each, 6 weeks on the boat.

My Mother and new stepfather went to live in Spain over 20 years ago. (He's Spanish).

15 years ago, we were all set for going out to Australia to start a new life, but were persuaded to go out to Spain. Made a lot of mistakes - one of them changing our mind about Australia. Then my husbands brother suddenly died, and that made hubby want to come back to UK.
Came back, picked up and carried on with life for all this time, but both wishing that we had gone to Australia.
I started to have more and more contact with brother, and then myself and youngest daughter went out to Oz for a long visit.
Straight away, fell in love with the place, and made sure that I checked out every little thing that could that probably brought us back from living in Spain.
Hubby kept asking what it was like, but decided that although I loved it, I definately wouldn't try and gloss it up for him.
Came back and really wanted to move out there, but didn't want it to be me that pushed us all to moving out there.
December came and hubby was made redundant.
He was getting on my nerves basically, so I went and got him a flight for the new year, and told him to go on a mission and make up his mind.
He looked at businesses, tax, schools, Albany, Bunbury, Mandurah, Rockingham, Perth, Freemantle, Estate agents, solicitors, accountants. You name it, he did it.
He came back and it has been 100% go for it.
I am glad that we went and did the Spain thing all those years ago, because we know where we made our mistakes, plus we are older now and you tend to see life differently as you get older.
I know that we won't be back.

Whisky
Excellent. You have always seemed aware and prepared for the move. Very good move sending your husband over here.

I was in a company that was going to close so I jumped ship. My wife was not that fond of her job and we have no kids or property so nothing to lose. I did the working holiday in 97 and had a great time and last year seemed like the perfect opportunity to return.

I might one day end up back in the UK as we do not have a large preference over each country. We will just take the opportunities as they present themselves.

My parents moved around as a kid so I will not be surprised if I get itchy feet again in a few years. I love travel and working in a culture is by far the best way to experience it. I am not sure why but Japan lures me. I am going for a week next month. If the place impresses me I might keep my eye open for opportunities there. Sydney is my home for a few more at least. You never know I might set down some roots for once in my life.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Excellent. You have always seemed aware and prepared for the move. Very good move sending your husband over here.

I was in a company that was going to close so I jumped ship. My wife was not that fond of her job and we have no kids or property so nothing to lose. I did the working holiday in 97 and had a great time and last year seemed like the perfect opportunity to return.

I might one day end up back in the UK as we do not have a large preference over each country. We will just take the opportunities as they present themselves.

My parents moved around as a kid so I will not be surprised if I get itchy feet again in a few years. I love travel and working in a culture is by far the best way to experience it. I am not sure why but Japan lures me. I am going for a week next month. If the place impresses me I might keep my eye open for opportunities there. Sydney is my home for a few more at least. You never know I might set down some roots for once in my life.
We have never stayed in the same house for very long, though I am hoping that that will change as the years go by, but its not to say that we would stay in the same house or area. If something else took our fancy in another part of Oz we would more than likely go for it.

Whisky
Old Oct 11th 2003, 7:03 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To Rent Out or Sell - that is the Question..

Originally posted by Bonus
Have been reading through your tales of excitement (and panic!) and it seems that many of you are selling up rather than renting out - we're trying to decide what to do - is it really that much of a pain to rent your UK place out?
We were looking at renting our property with a view to sell it a few years down the line. Found out we would be taxed big time on any profit made when we sell. As I remember something like 48%. Oz gov want a huge percentage of any money you bring into the country after you have emigrated. If you take the money with you when you go its tax free! This is what made our mind up. We have made almost 100% profit on our house and decided we wanted the money with us, not with the tax man

Alan Collette has lots of useful info on this subject, search the archives, loads was said about it before, you may find all you need to know.

If you are planning to rent indefinitely then its not a bad option, but if you are looking to sell later down the line it may be a problem.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: To Rent Out or Sell - that is the Question..

Originally posted by teresa.c
We were looking at renting our property with a view to sell it a few years down the line. Found out we would be taxed big time on any profit made when we sell. As I remember something like 48%. Oz gov want a huge percentage of any money you bring into the country after you have emigrated. If you take the money with you when you go its tax free! This is what made our mind up. We have made almost 100% profit on our house and decided we wanted the money with us, not with the tax man

Alan Collette has lots of useful info on this subject, search the archives, loads was said about it before, you may find all you need to know.

If you are planning to rent indefinitely then its not a bad option, but if you are looking to sell later down the line it may be a problem.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Using Alan Collet as our agent and have found him to be very helpful so I thought Id bring this tip to the top!