Rent assistance

Old Dec 20th 2009, 4:15 am
Just Joined

dave76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rent assistance

can someone clarify this for me?
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ly_arrived.htm

does this mean as a PR holder you can claim rent assistance or not in the first 2 years? in NSW? single, no kids, no income. haven't received anything from the govt.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent assistance

My understanding is that you can claim CRA if you are eligible for Family Tax benefit base rate + (which you wont be with no kids) as a new migrant or in receipt of some other benefit (which you wont be because you havent been here for long enough). So I think the answer is no you cant. However were you in receipt of FTB (more than the base rate) then you would be eligible. It also depends on the cost of rent as well

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/ch010_0310/$file/ch010_0309.pdf
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:12 am
ABCDiamond

I agree.

You would need to be getting Family Tax Benefit (FTB) to be eligible for that Rent Assistance.

Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

As other have said you need Family Tax B, Ive just started getting family tax A/B.

Also it says it can not be government housing as this is already reduced rent.

Gems
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

Have been here 3 months. Hubby still looking for work. We are PR visa holders and get rent assistance. We get part A family allowance but not part B.
Lou
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:58 am
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Hi LouB, thats interesting news - we hadnt realised.

We (wife, 3yr old daughter & I) are preparing to travel out to QLD/ Brisbane (somewhere?) next year on 176 PR visa. I'm assuming I'll be unemployed for at least a few months also.

How soon did you start claiming rent assistance? and is it worth the effort?

Is there anything else you have found to be eligible for?

How did you sort out your initial rentals etc before you arrived? any tips?

If you prefer PM me,
many thanks and happy 1st christmas,

Hoolio
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

Hi HOOLIO,
We applied for family tax credit 4 weeks ago as hubby still out of work. Phoned the help line and they went through the online process. We basically filled in our details and they worked out what we were able to have. We got a back dated allowance from arrival date and received rent allowance which is paid fortnightly. It is worth receiving if you are able. As I said, we get part A only.
I n the UK my hubby and I received family allowance only. We have never had any benefits so it's a funny place to be right now (or not if you get my meaning). We hope Les will get a break soon and will inform the Centrelink people straight away. There is the option of receiving allowances fortnightly or banking them until the end of the financial year. If you have enough right now you can do that and not risk receiving overpayment.
As for rentals, it will probably depend on where you are. We are in Redcliffe and had no problems securing a renatal. You will need referances from your estate agent if you have just sold up or referances from previous landlords. All other documentation is relatively easy eg passport. Driving license is easily picked up over here (read up..lots of threads).
Good Luck! It aint easy to start but give it a whirl!
Lou