Renovations.

Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

jamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant future
Default Renovations.

Hi

Whilst I was in the UK I had a side line where I'd buy a property, renovate it (and normally live in it), then sell it on.

In the UK the guidelines as to what you can do yourself are pretty lenient, so long as you pass the building inspector and get your electrics etc passed off by a sparky. Of course the planners were pretty anal at times as well, but thats the same anywhere I'm sure.

I want to do the same here in NSW (Sydney), is there anything I need to be aware of? I would imagine wiring and gas (I would never go near gas anyway) wouldn't be allowed without 100 certificates but anything else?

Has anyone had any experience of doing up a place themselves and selling on?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

jamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Renovations.

Just giving this a sneaky bump......
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:10 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

If your just looking at cosmetic reno you'll be ok.If you want to avoid capital gains you have to live in the property for 12 months.If you do major reno involving an extension and the like you would go down the owner builder route.You are allowed to do 1 every 3 years as an OB.When you sell you have to provide building insurance for 7 years from completion of works.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:44 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamo123
Hi

Whilst I was in the UK I had a side line where I'd buy a property, renovate it (and normally live in it), then sell it on.

In the UK the guidelines as to what you can do yourself are pretty lenient, so long as you pass the building inspector and get your electrics etc passed off by a sparky. Of course the planners were pretty anal at times as well, but thats the same anywhere I'm sure.

I want to do the same here in NSW (Sydney), is there anything I need to be aware of? I would imagine wiring and gas (I would never go near gas anyway) wouldn't be allowed without 100 certificates but anything else?

As well as the gas and electrics, plumbing is the other one that needs to be done (or certified) by a licenced person.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

jamo123;

Its illegal to do any Electrical or Plumbing work in Australia, without employing a qualified person with relevant skills & the correct License. if you do it yourself & there is any problems your insurance is Void, any if any person receives an injury your in massive trouble.???
would you consider it worth while doing it yourself, also the fines for illegal work can be massive i get the electrical magazine from the energy safe people & every month people are being fined very large amounts for illegal work.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:33 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamo123
Hi

You need to check the various council regulations relating to renovations in the area the building is in. Here in the city of Sydney, you pretty much need a development approval for sneezing in your house, and they are very time consuming and costly things to obtain. DAs don't just apply to extensions and things that can be seen from the outside - an awful lot of internal modifications and changes require them too.

Some things are considered an exempt development, but the list of things that are not exempt is very long indeed. Naturally this differs from council area to council area.

Have a look at the City of Sydney web site:

City of Sydney Development Approvals

S