Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Remuneration Packages

Remuneration Packages

Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Jim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant future
Default Remuneration Packages

Hi

With my current employment in the UK (quantity surveyor) I have the benefits of a company car, Bupa and pension. Can the same be expected from a similar role in Perth? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have search employment webistes but only states approximate salary.

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Boilerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Remuneration Packages

Originally Posted by Jim n Nic
Hi

With my current employment in the UK (quantity surveyor) I have the benefits of a company car, Bupa and pension. Can the same be expected from a similar role in Perth? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have search employment webistes but only states approximate salary.

Thanks
My experience is yes you can - but these things tend to be negotiable so watch the small print in your offer.

You also have to watch 'taxable perks' as tax here runs fairly high particular for the higher income earning that you could expect for a senior engineering position.

Private medical insurance is taxable. However, if your total family income exceeds about $90k (in Queensland at least - I don't know about Perth) you'll get charged an extra 1.5% medicare levy. When you work it out this can essentially be the same as paying for private medical insurance.

Bottom line is watch the package being offered and do the sums on it. Sometimes the perks can cost you more in tax etc than just negotiating a better salary and paying for the thing you want yourself.

Good luck though.

Steve
Old Sep 11th 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boilerman
My experience is yes you can - but these things tend to be negotiable so watch the small print in your offer.

You also have to watch 'taxable perks' as tax here runs fairly high particular for the higher income earning that you could expect for a senior engineering position.

Private medical insurance is taxable. However, if your total family income exceeds about $90k (in Queensland at least - I don't know about Perth) you'll get charged an extra 1.5% medicare levy. When you work it out this can essentially be the same as paying for private medical insurance.

Bottom line is watch the package being offered and do the sums on it. Sometimes the perks can cost you more in tax etc than just negotiating a better salary and paying for the thing you want yourself.

Good luck though.

Steve
Hello

Similar sort of comment to the last post. You can package just about anything into your salary, however non cash salary is subject to Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) this is payable by your employer, however the total 'grossed up' figure will appear on your Group Certificate (P60) and you will pay the medicare levy on the total grossed up figure. (this often pushes people into the higher medicare levy figure without them even realising it! So private health insurance becomes important) This grossed up figure is complicated to work out, so before you package too much in make sure that the benefit outweighs the cost to you.

Cars particularly are becoming very expensive for employers under the FBT program. I prewviously worked for a sales based organisation in Aus and all of the cars (including sales reps) were replaced with car allowances. The paperwork and cost is becoming prohibitive to maintain company cars. This seems to be a direction many (in my experience anyway) employers wish to take unless you incur many, many business miles.

Just to be clear FBT is a business not personal tax, however it will impact your salary.

Anyway, you may be best to take some tax advice from an accountant in Aus when you get offered a package if you wish to include non cash items.

Also be aware that some employers offer (in job advertisments) is inclusive of superannuation and others are exclusive. This can make a big difference when you work out numbers!!

Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2005, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant future

Thank you both very much.

Most helpful.

Cheers