Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Removals - what do you wish you had left at home?

Removals - what do you wish you had left at home?

Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:25 am
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light
Question Removals - what do you wish you had left at home?

Hi there,

We are deciding what to take with us. There seems to be so much, goodness knows how much container space we'll need!

Those of you who have already made the move - what do you regret taking with you?
I've read that the TV may not work, mattresses are £150 to move so you may as well get one once you arrive. Is there anything else which could be a waste of time?

Cheers

Jo
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removals - what do you wish you had left at home?

Originally Posted by sparkleauz
Hi there,

We are deciding what to take with us. There seems to be so much, goodness knows how much container space we'll need!

Those of you who have already made the move - what do you regret taking with you?
I've read that the TV may not work, mattresses are £150 to move so you may as well get one once you arrive. Is there anything else which could be a waste of time?

Cheers

Jo

My hubby
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:41 am
Happy little vegemite

blimeyj is an unknown quantity at this point

What a good question! I'll look forward to see what people say - we are trying to bring the bare minimum. I have a load of craft stuff from when I took up Scrapbooking and went really overboard in buying stuff... but I thought I may as well send it over rather than try to sell or whatever.

Last edited by blimeyj; Oct 16th 2006 at 11:44 am.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

All OH's 'stuff' that was in our loft in the UK (for 10 years) which will shortly be transferred to our loft here.....
Old Oct 16th 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Auzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really nice

Hi Jo,

Who told you that mattresses are £150 to move???

Jane
Old Oct 16th 2006, 12:39 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My hubby

Ditto + Kids
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My hubby
LOL i was going to say that
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

We shared a container. I wish now we'd bought a whole one and brought everything with us because my hub (disorganised as he was) ended throwing a whole load of stuff away at the tip and that really pissed me off. I hope it went to good homes. I'm sure it did but ...

Bring it over if it's useful. If it isn't, and you don't love it, get rid of it before you come. Better to bring stuff you think may be useful rather than feel hacked off you have to buy exactly the same thing again over here to replace it.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:22 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine didn't bring much over - just a few boxes of personal stuff. She gave away all of her pots and pans etc. The week after she'd moved in she decided to make shepherd's pie and boiled the spuds. Guess what! She didn't have a masher!
There's nothing really I wish I'd not brought with us- it's more the things I threw or gave away. Even things like brand new dishcloths - when you first move over money goes through your hands so those dishcloths would have made a difference!
If you are getting a container, I'd say cram it with as much stuff as you can. Work out what you really want to take, get that put in first, then fill up with the rest.
Tracey
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:22 pm
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Auzziebound
Hi Jo,

Who told you that mattresses are £150 to move???

Jane
Hi Jane,

Have just had a look for the thread that I saw this on. Check it out below:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400240

Jo
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Cheers

Jo
Good thread, shall watch it with interest
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:36 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I'd bought more with us, other half forced me to sell lots of things at car boot sales, give things away to friends etc.

We left behind a sofa, dining table and chairs - the people buying the house wanted them - 2.5 years later we still have no dining table and chairs and just the one sofa, because money's too tight to buy new and I begrudge buying second hand!

Didn't bring mattresses, but only because the beds were pretty old.

What I wish we had left behind - my brother-in-law's cd collection from his student days. For some strange reason, my partner thought we should bring this with us as he was certain his brother (who now lives in Adelaide) would want to be reminded of how poor his music tastes once were. The collection is still at our house, because I refuse to use up all my luggage space on flights to Adelaide on dodgy cds.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:25 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chels
Wish I'd bought more with us, other half forced me to sell lots of things at car boot sales, give things away to friends etc.

We left behind a sofa, dining table and chairs - the people buying the house wanted them - 2.5 years later we still have no dining table and chairs and just the one sofa, because money's too tight to buy new and I begrudge buying second

Aw Chels, that's really rough. I try not to look back on it or I'd be upset about the stuff my hub gave away. Trying to look forward all the time is tough esp when you're reminded of it every day.
Hope you get your sofa and dining set soon.
x
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I say bring the lot too. Its OK buying new but it takes time and money. Not sure if you have children or not but try shopping for furnishings and the like whilst dragging 2 kids around the shops, nightmare.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything except - clutter and junk (and of course the things AQIS won't let you bring)

Do a serious declutter of paperwork stuff, clothes you don't wear, things you really don't use and that have lived in the loft for years.

Hi there,

Cheers

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.