Reload this Page >

REmovals (self packing) weight limit for boxes 25kg

REmovals (self packing) weight limit for boxes 25kg

Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:18 pm
ReMember?

G'day_Australia! is an unknown quantity at this point
Question REmovals (self packing) weight limit for boxes 25kg

Hi there,

We've been told that we shouldn't go over 25kg with our packing for each box. This is going to be pretty impossible with most boxes surely with shoes, books and kitchen items being pretty heavy. And spreading the load is going to be cumbersome.

I think it's fairly unreasonable to stay under 25kg - we're shipping this stuff after all, not going by air.

Has anyone had any grief from removal firms about weight? You'd think they are used to weighty boxes after all?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: REmovals (self packing) weight limit for boxes 25kg

The 25 Kilos will be from a safety point of view. Although they are being shipped they still need to be lifted and put onto the container, lifted off the container and back on again when your goods get here and then lifted off when they get to your home.

It is the same with luggage on an aircraft and there are restrictions with weight too for health and safety.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:25 pm
ReMember?

G'day_Australia! is an unknown quantity at this point

I realise it's OHS etc, but with hand trolleys and other lifting equipment I still think achieving under 25kg is difficult. It's not like they're hand lifting each box seperately onto the ship!

Besides a lot of the furniture will weigh more than 25kg also.

Last edited by G'day_Australia!; Apr 30th 2010 at 11:27 pm. Reason: addition
Old May 1st 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I can only comment from when my removals were done but all our stuff was manually lifted to the lorry carrying the container and then put onto a hoist to get to the door of the container and then carried again to its resting position in the container.

Same for the reverse here. They lifted everything.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'day_Australia!
I realise it's OHS etc, but with hand trolleys and other lifting equipment I still think achieving under 25kg is difficult. It's not like they're hand lifting each box seperately onto the ship!

Besides a lot of the furniture will weigh more than 25kg also.
Furtniture can be more easily moved by trolley and by more than one person. Even if all the packers are doing is trying to move the boxes down a couple of front door steps, they still need to know they can pick the box up. My boxes had to be carried downstairs from a flat, and at the ther end the door was too narrow for their trolley so the boxes had to be carried inside. Just be careful when packing - spreading the load is easy enough - something like books in the bottom, kids soft toys on top.
Also bear in mind that if the box is too heavy even if it is on a trolley the cardboard may not take the strain,
Old May 1st 2010, 9:12 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you're saying, OP, but you're creating a rod for your own back if you pack mahoosive heavy boxes of books. They're a pain (possibly literally) for you/the mover to shift, and the boxes are more likely to split and get dropped if they're heavy. Photocopying paper boxes (know what I mean?) are ideal size for book packing.

Obviously washing machines or whatever are going to be heavier than 25kg but try not to have individual boxes weigh more than that.