Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Remortgaging from here

Remortgaging from here

Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:27 am
Just Joined

tryn67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remortgaging from here

Hey does anyone know can we remortgage our property in the uk while we are resident here in oz?

Also can we use that money here in oz?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remortgaging from here

Why not just sell it?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tryn67
Hey does anyone know can we remortgage our property in the uk while we are resident here in oz?

Also can we use that money here in oz?

You would have to get some kind of expat mortgage which no doubt will attract a higher exchange rate and then you would be moving money at rubbish exchange rate. It seems foolish to me and causes an exchange rate mismatch between income and expenses which is never a good idea. Why not borrow what you need in Australia?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:21 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You would have to get some kind of expat mortgage which no doubt will attract a higher exchange rate and then you would be moving money at rubbish exchange rate. It seems foolish to me and causes an exchange rate mismatch between income and expenses which is never a good idea. Why not borrow what you need in Australia?
So can you get a mortgage in Australia for a property in UK?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

We looked at getting a mortgage in Ozz, but despite having a house in the UK, I was told I still needed a minimum of 5% deposit here still. They said that having a house in the UK was irrelevant so we just send our money over to the UK!
As said above, selling our house now and then transfering those finances would not be sensible under the current climate.

If this information is not correct, I would be interested in knowing which bank would help.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
So can you get a mortgage in Australia for a property in UK?
Not sure what you mean.

Do you mean get a UK mortgage on a UK property whilst living in Australia?

Or do you mean get an Australian mortgage on a UK property?

The former is what I was referring to, expat mortgages expensive but doable. The latter, an Australian mortgage on UK property, I think would be almost impossible.