Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocation: Phil Down Under

Relocation: Phil Down Under

Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:11 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation: Phil Down Under

Originally Posted by TrentEnd

I enjoyed the show, but I had to laugh at the bit in Sydney where Phil was making out that everybody in Sydney commutes by ferry! If only! My commute to work in Sydney is much worse than it ever was in London - endless traffic jams and idiotic drivers.
I liked the bit where the Aussie estate agent said around 1 million people in Sydney had harbour views!

Who is he trying to kid?

At least Phil made an attempt at being honest.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:31 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I liked the bit where the Aussie estate agent said around 1 million people in Sydney had harbour views!

Who is he trying to kid?

At least Phil made an attempt at being honest.
they obviously took into consideration all the hotel rooms.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by TrentEnd
I think the woman was born in Ireland (her name was Bronagh after all..) but she obviously grew up in England (Essex). That's my bet anyway.

I enjoyed the show, but I had to laugh at the bit in Sydney where Phil was making out that everybody in Sydney commutes by ferry! If only! My commute to work in Sydney is much worse than it ever was in London - endless traffic jams and idiotic drivers.

As with most things of course, it depends on your individual circumtances. My commute to work in London was excellent - Twickenham, through Teddington and Bushy Park and down past Hampton Court. In Sydney, it's twice as long as i'm going in the same direction as everyone else on the appalling road system. Commuting by ferry would be nice but i'll leave that to those who can afford to buy a house in Manly ( I can't!).
But Sydney kicks the crap out of London in terms of quality of life. IMO (and I dont mean you here) a lot of people are not comparing like to like. They want to move to a place with a much better quality of life than the UK AND have everything go their way AND it be as cheap as chips AND live in a great area. If that were all possible, they'd have to close the borders.

Also - thats not really a "London commute" you describe there - its suburb-suburb as opposed to suburb-centre. I currently commute Esher-Kingston which is dead easy but I wouldn't use it as a basis for comparison.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigdave764
Don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to post this show on to YouTube? - unfortunately 4oD is region locked to UK users only, so it doesn't work from Sydney!!
If anyone has foxtel, they're showing this at the moment. Watched the Perth episode last night - don't know whether it was the first or not. It's on the Lifestyle channel.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:35 am
Just Joined

ozrover is an unknown quantity at this point

Relocation: Phil Down Under - Perth? Beware!

This programme is already outdated and misleading. With todays rate of exchange @ 1.6Aud to the GBP the money from your house does not go far. Our last holiday before immigration was 2.9Aud to the GBP and just continues down.

Perth is lovely. But it is expensive.......A recent report i read stated approx 20 to 40 % more expensive to live in Perth than elsewhere in Aus.

We have approx GBP250000 - Which, 2 months before our move would have netted approx Aud$580000 today with rate changes, tax and expenses it will net just under AUD$400000. Meanwhile the median house price in the suburb where we rent has risen from 500,000 to 580,000 - but every house we would consider living in is between AUD $650000 to AUD $850000. You can forget a beach view for less than 850000.

Quinns Rocks is very nice but is almost at the end of the (Northern) world when visiting Perth. No trains and no freeway and at peak hour well over an hour to drive into town.

Do your homework before selling up and be very realistic - the economy here is booming not crashing!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:50 am
Just Joined

ozrover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyC
There's not a lot in it. If you pack in the UK, Ireland and the Scandinavian countries into the gaps - I reckon they're almost equal..
Check out the quoted areas - Australia is "bloody huge!"
And remember flight deals are not like Europe. They are more expensive here.

Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

This is what annoys me about all these shows, as I have said before it is like the people have never done their own research...........Australia might be behind the times on "technology" but houses are on the internet nowdays! check things out before you go!!!

Originally Posted by littda01
But Sydney kicks the crap out of London in terms of quality of life. IMO (and I dont mean you here) a lot of people are not comparing like to like. They want to move to a place with a much better quality of life than the UK AND have everything go their way AND it be as cheap as chips AND live in a great area. If that were all possible, they'd have to close the borders.

Also - thats not really a "London commute" you describe there - its suburb-suburb as opposed to suburb-centre. I currently commute Esher-Kingston which is dead easy but I wouldn't use it as a basis for comparison.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:52 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozrover
Check out the quoted areas - Australia is "bloody huge!"
And remember flight deals are not like Europe. They are more expensive here.

http://the-travel-pages.com/images/A...20v.Europe.jpg
http://www.scorpiosail.com/maps/aus_europe.jpg
So in summary, the continent of Australia is bigger than Europe if you only consider (contrived) political and not geographic boundaries.

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Apr 12th 2010 at 12:55 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this show last night, what exchange rate are they using

For around 200,000 pound the couple were looking at acerage homes in melbourne well about an hours commute from melb IME of the areas they were at ) out past emerald.

Phil did make some realistic comments about the harsh weather OZ gets, rare for a UK show but the areas he was looking at were in prime bush fire territory and that wasnt even mentioned

Now Ive got to watch it next week, weds on lifestyle in OZ cause its one million buck houses in sunshine coast, another area we know very well, bet its bloody canal homes

Show was dated winter 2009, UK winter I assume so a few month ago, making the exchange rate even more of a puzzle, he also said aus prices were 10% down, however most recent info here is melb prices 19% UP.

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 14th 2010 at 8:03 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if/when this is repeated as I missed last nites?!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Nites?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

caulkhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Show was dated winter 2009, UK winter I assume so a few month ago, making the exchange rate even more of a puzzle, he also said aus prices were 10% down, however most recent info here is melb prices 19% UP.
The programmes were filmed Jan 2009 - you may remember that was when the exchange rate shot up to 2.60!!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caulkhead
The programmes were filmed Jan 2009 - you may remember that was when the exchange rate shot up to 2.60!!
Thanks, didnt realise it was so high only a year ago, what was that for - one day

Seriously it wouldnt take 30 seconds for them to say when and what exchange rates, and what month/year they are talking about would it? Must have given UK people a right trot up the garden path if they came with those expectations.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Nites?
I understood what she meant. It is a valid word.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/NITES
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:10 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I understood what she meant. It is a valid word.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/NITES
Some people just have too much time on their hands to poke holes in 'txtspk' lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.