Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocation logistics

Relocation logistics

Old May 8th 2004, 5:05 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Relocation logistics

Hi everybody, we're hoping to be in melbourne before the end of the year (fingers crossed). I'm worried about the logistics of moving & flying to Oz with 2 very small kids. When do you send your furniture? Do people book their airline tickets for the day they sell their house? And what about stopovers, as I don't think we could manage a 24-hour+ flight with the kids? I'd appreciate hearing how other people have managed.
Old May 8th 2004, 6:23 pm
ceinwen

Never one to do things by halfs ,we are moving to Aus with a 4yr old ,3 yr old and me 20 wks pregnant !!!
We are at the sorting stage due to fly out on June 8th .
We have had to hire some help to look after the children while we sort the house (better and less expensive if you have willing family ).
Q1. Our furniture is going to be shipped the weekend after we leave and arrive in Aug .We are staying with family in Adelaide though.

Q2. We havent had to sell our house ,we are renting but we booked our tickets for 3 months after we recieved our visa (gave us something to work towards )

Q3. We first flew in 2002 when they were much younger and I was very worried how we would cope !!
We booked a night flight .They spent a wild few hours running around the airport then promptly fell asleep at 10.30 when we got on the plane and slept untill we were 2hrs from Singapore.
We stopped for 5 hrs at Singapore which was long enough ,I just wanted to get there
I gave them a lttle capol on the plane which helped calm them down a little and they each had their own backpack of fun little things (some new ,some not) to look through and throw on the floor !!!!!!!!
Ive been collecting a few little things together for new backpacks this time ;
My eldest likes polly pockets ,ELC does new pens that dont stop working if you loose the lids and my youngest likes Thomas the Tank .
Anyway sorry this is so long ,theres been lots on here about flying with children .I would try a search ???

Old May 8th 2004, 8:26 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Hi Cierwen,

thanks v. much for your message - it's a relief to know someone has been through the same thing! You were lucky to have obliging family both ends - ours live miles away here and we don't know anyone in Melbourne, so I guess it'll be a hotel. But we'll worry about that when we get to it! Hope you are enjoying life in Adelaide. Take care!

Jenny
Old May 8th 2004, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure more of the Melbourne lot will respond in the morning... hope you get the info you need.
Old May 8th 2004, 8:54 pm
mark,abbi,tia & max

mark warner is an unknown quantity at this point

hi treefrog(good name)
we are flying to brisbane via 3hrs in singapore next tuesday week with 2 kids aged 4 and 2 hopefully it wont be too bad but i will let you know more once we arrive
cheers
mark
Old May 8th 2004, 9:15 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Originally posted by mark warner
hi treefrog(good name)
we are flying to brisbane via 3hrs in singapore next tuesday week with 2 kids aged 4 and 2 hopefully it wont be too bad but i will let you know more once we arrive
cheers
mark
Good luck! I used to live in Brissie and it's a fantastic city, no matter what the other Aussies say! Be sure to take the kids to the Southbank lagoon, and the Riverside Markets on a Sunday are worth a visit too. I'll be very interested to hear how you get on during the flight. Take care!
Jenny
Old May 8th 2004, 9:26 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Originally posted by mark warner
hi treefrog(good name)
cheers
mark
Good luck! I used to live in Brissie and it's a fantastic city, no matter what the other Aussies say! Be sure to take the kids to the Southbank lagoon, and the Riverside Markets on a Sunday are worth a visit too. I'll be very interested to hear how you get on during the flight. Take care!
Jenny