Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how times have changed

how times have changed

Old May 7th 2004, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how times have changed

we were all having this discussion last night about cubs and brownies, it appears in the early 70's they were grooming us girls for housewife status

why because the badges we got were for cleaning, cooking, sewing, blacking the grate and looking after babies

what did the lads do.... learn how to light fires, camp out and how to fix and make things

i think i know who had the better time and it wasnt me

arlene
Old May 7th 2004, 10:30 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

That discrepancy was entirely the reason I got thrown out of the Guides - we had been sent off to find 10 wildflowers to pick and then arrange for a supper table - I took my patrol off down the scout hut where we caught a fish and cooked it on an open fire with the boys.

Returning to the Guide hut about 1/2 hour late, stinking of wood smoke and fish guts amd in response to the inevitable inquiry saying that picking wildflowers was a 'girlie waste of time' saw my time in the blue uniform at a premature end.

The Guider told my Dad when he came to collect me what had happened and that I had always been a 'troubling influence' on the other girls and he said he couldn;t have been happier about the way his daughter was turning out and took me down the pub for half a shandy (at 13) to celebrate!
Old May 7th 2004, 10:40 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya Poll!!!!

These days at least girls are now allowed to join cubs and scouts. When my lad was in cubs there were more girls than boys!

When I was a kid I was in the brownies and my brother was in cubs....and he always got to have loads more fun than me!! ....sniff I also remember on parade days the cubs and scouts used to always take the p*ss out of us brownies because we had such a poxy small flag to carry. The scouts/cubs and guides always had huge flags compared to ours
Old May 7th 2004, 10:41 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Pollster
The Guider told my Dad when he came to collect me what had happened and that I had always been a 'troubling influence' on the other girls and he said he couldn;t have been happier about the way his daughter was turning out and took me down the pub for half a shandy (at 13) to celebrate!

Got thrown out too. Too namby pamby for me anyway.

Parents wouldn't let me leave [had spent too much on new uniform].......... so I wasn't bovvered that I'd been asked to leave

Fink I like your dad. Will he adopt me...... pleeeeeeeeease

Phoenixuk2oz

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; May 7th 2004 at 10:43 am.

Old May 7th 2004, 10:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Pollster

So does that means you aren't going to organise any tupperware parties?
Old May 7th 2004, 10:42 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I did the brownies and then the girl guides but then I went on to do venture scouts ... different kettle of fish entirely ... we did kayaking, climbing up scarfell and parascending loved every minute

Last edited by sky; May 7th 2004 at 10:46 am.
Old May 7th 2004, 10:44 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how times have changed

Originally posted by arlene
we were all having this discussion last night about cubs and brownies, it appears in the early 70's they were grooming us girls for housewife status

why because the badges we got were for cleaning, cooking, sewing, blacking the grate and looking after babies

what did the lads do.... learn how to light fires, camp out and how to fix and make things

i think i know who had the better time and it wasnt me

arlene

Arlene,

Ha,ha, just wondering what happened to me then?? I went to Brownies and guides, got all my badges and was made a sixer of the elves????? (what a saint)

But as for me being able to cook,sew and clean.......i think they failed miserabley on that one (or so my other half would say)

love laura
xxx
Old May 7th 2004, 10:46 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by bondipom
Pollster

So does that means you aren't going to organise any tupperware parties?

Prob not (although all the free stuff you get makes it tempting!)

I was thinking of a survivor party - go up into the bush, build a shelter, catch and kill a rabbit, skin and gut it, light a fire and cook it, a few beers, an uncomfortable night in the rain and cold - what could be better?

So whose coming? anyone? hello? Hevs? Polly? hello?
Old May 7th 2004, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sky
I did the brownies and then the girl guides but then I went on to do venture scouts ... different kettle of fish entirely ... we did kayaking, climbing up scarfell and parascending loved every minute
Sounds just like me, I did the whole Brownies and Guides thing(even got my Queen's Guide award) but was always pushing for more interesting activities, which I finally got in Ventures - loved every second of it. They even encouraged me to apply for (and be accepted on) Operation Raleigh - but thats another story. Still enjoy scouting and am now a leader, but would never even consider Brownies or Guides!
Old May 7th 2004, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I was a lucky girlie coz my dad was Baloo (cub leader), so I got to do all the fun stuff and hang out with the boys. I went to Brownies, but couldn't stick it out for more than a few days!
I like the survivor element, but I don't like having to go along with all the authority stuff Would love to go on a survivor weekend with Pollster, so long as we stick to fish and don't kill any furry animals!
Old May 7th 2004, 2:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

a sixer of the elves?????
OMG!! Thats two of us!!! And I've still got the Elf badge too!
Must admit i was happier climbing trees with the boys though
Old May 7th 2004, 4:07 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

I would go on a survivor weekend as long as I had a nice comfy bed...lots of red wine....few munchies (gotta soak up the wine somehow) oh and a hunky man

BTW - I was a sixer of the sprites
Old May 7th 2004, 4:14 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by artep
I would go on a survivor weekend as long as I had a nice comfy bed...lots of red wine....few munchies (gotta soak up the wine somehow) oh and a hunky man

BTW - I was a sixer of the sprites

oh yea, i remember the sprites, i liked them, i was gutted to be in the elves cos the sprites always seemed more of a good name, and the badge looked better..........

cant believe you still have your elves badge, it might be a collectors item by now

When I were a lassss........sad eh...

laura
xx
Old May 7th 2004, 4:18 pm
....is FAB

The brownie uniforms were awful tho........dresses with a brown belt and a yellow cross-over tie thing.....but the ABSOLUTE worst bit about my uniform was the brown bobble hat I had to wear!!!!!
Old May 7th 2004, 4:21 pm

Originally posted by artep
The brownie uniforms were awful tho........dresses with a brown belt and a yellow cross-over tie thing.....but the ABSOLUTE worst bit about my uniform was the brown bobble hat I had to wear!!!!!
Bet your head was warm tho!!

"i promise that i will do my best to do my duty to God......blah blah"

and you had to have pencil paper and ten pence in your pocket...oh and some string etc.....

blast from the past or what.......

laura
xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.