Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocation agents or DIY?

Relocation agents or DIY?

Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Relocation agents or DIY?

We have been appointed agents, but seeing as they take AGES to answer any question and quote us double what can find ourselves on net, whaddya think? The company pays them direct and pays for it all, but any we don't use out of the budget we get back in cash....

One part of me says that it saves a LOT of stress the other one says ITS MY MONEY....

Do we really need them?

PP
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation agents or DIY?

if you mean they sort things out for you when you arrive.... you're probably better off saving yourself the money and doing it yourself.

you can find most things out on the web or ask places like this, and book your own accomodation via the web, sort the bank via the web etc etc etc.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bridie
if you mean they sort things out for you when you arrive.... you're probably better off saving yourself the money and doing it yourself.

you can find most things out on the web or ask places like this, and book your own accomodation via the web, sort the bank via the web etc etc etc.
yea I am mostly concerned about renting and the leases etc....

I have moved abroad about 4 times before and done it all myself but have a 2 year old so not sure if its not a big deal or a BIG deal....
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

what's the rental market like where you're looking to move to? loads of rentals or are they like gold dust?

FWIW if I were in your shoes I'd sort out either a hotel or furnished rental for a couple of weeks to give you time...... also, maybe someone on the forum already living in that area might be able to help?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bridie
what's the rental market like where you're looking to move to? loads of rentals or are they like gold dust?

FWIW if I were in your shoes I'd sort out either a hotel or furnished rental for a couple of weeks to give you time...... also, maybe someone on the forum already living in that area might be able to help?
Going to Sydney so people say different things, we are renting a serviced apartment for up to 4 weeks I think to start with.....I mean I asked for two places in different areas and got 2, 3 mins away from each other identical..have asked about seviced apartments but one is REALLY expensive and the other has no availability....

ach maybe I just keep a beady eye on the agent......
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:34 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Our agent was a blessing I was 32 wks pregnant when we arrived and as we didnt have a car been taking out and about and shown the area we didnt know was a god send.

We didnt use one the first time round though we had friends in the area to help us out.

Jo
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't use one but each to their own. It depends on how much time and effort you are prepared to put in for your life. IMO paying someone who doesn't know me or what I want (assuming even that I know), to find me a home, school, suburb etc is crazy. How else are you going to get to know places and how to get about etc if you don't actually get behind the wheel of a car and sort it yourself?

If you are coming and starting work on day one and your company is prepared to pay for the service then I might understand giving it a go but otherwise no way.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:41 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Should have said company paid for it otherwise we would not have gone down that route.

We had the added pressure of getting settled before the baby came so it was good to be helped in the first week of arrival.

Jo
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

I would speak to the agent about your needs & how they are not delivering a good service, as we run a relocation business in qld the most important thing is the customer is always happy with the service provided. If you do decide to DIY i have details of short term rentals in sydney,car hire,check list for docs you will need ect just send me pm & i will email them to you gary