Reload this Page >

Just Got MY Visa Sub Class 163

Just Got MY Visa Sub Class 163

Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

wadhamsfamily is on a distinguished road
Smile Just Got MY Visa Sub Class 163

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are over the moon as after 14 months of applying we have just been granted our temp business visa class 163 and we intend to arrive in Brisbane for the summer in November to start our new life whoooo. Obviously we have done a fair amount of homework but inevitably we have come across a couple of unknowns regarding our visa class so I am hoping you guys maybe able to help.

1. Cars, I always intended to bring my two cars as they are of high value in Auss and because the value of luxury cars is plummeting in the UK. I am aware its expensive and can be complicated but this aside I have come across a problem i didnt expect. On looking at the application to export it states that I have to be a permanent resident in Auss or be applying to be one. As a visa sub class 163 i am only temporally resident until I apply for my residency which I cannot do for at least 2 years. Has any one else come across this before and od you know of ant way around it ?

2.My visa states that no other member of my family can enter Auss prior to me the main applicant. Problem is my wife was going to do a recc trip in 3 weeks to sort property and schools. Again anyone come across this and do they know a way around it.

3. My status as temp precludes me from several things as far as i am aware we diont get Medicare, we dont get schools fees subs, we dont get a tax free allowance, we dont get social security, we dont get uni fees assitance, we cant buy any property unless its brand new etc(Im sure they want us reallly lol)Does any one know of anything else we dont get that we need to be aware of ?

4. Lastly I intend on exchanging the bulk of my currency soon as the rate has improved, I intended to open an Aussie HSBC account as I have one here and thought it would be easier that way. I will use a broker for the funds transfer and deposit the money into my account with HSBC Auss. Can anyone see a problem with this and are there any tax implications you know of with me as a temp resident on the visa type ?

Thanks everyone and if there are any newbies in Brisbane this Christmas the first beers on me just let me know.

Mark
Old Sep 13th 2008, 3:12 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Got MY Visa Sub Class 163

Big
CONGRATS
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

midlife crisis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mark

Congratulations on getting your visa!! I can tell you thats the easy part!

Just thought I would clarify a few things for you. I am also on a 163 visa and we get medicare, free schooling for my children at the local state school and we also get the normal tax allowances.

We have also bought a property which was not brand new, mind you we did have to get approval from the FRIB which was a formality over the internet.

So unless they have changed the rules in the last couple of years you have been given some incorrect advice.

You are correct about the university fees as you are only eligible for the subsidised fees if you are a permanent resident . To get the loans you need to be a citizen. I know as my 17 year old is just about to leave school so we are desperately trying to get residency before next year otherwise the fees will be 3x more!! A pretty good incentive eh??

Anyway I wish you luck on your move. If I can help you with anything else just let me know
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

wadhamsfamily is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info Midlife, Im am obviously mis informed and am happy to know we will be entiltled to more than I thought.

I sense from your opening statement that its still uphill from here, I would really apreiciate your thoughts and advice based on your experience since setting up in Auss. I dont expect it to be easy but I do belive in remaining positive but realistic, anything you can offer me would be greatfully received.

Thanks again
Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Hi Wadhams,

very very new to this forum but I can share some of our info with you.We were granted our 163 in July and also hope to be there end of the year possibly early New year but to the Sunshine Coast.

Currently living in South Africa (15 years) but born and bred UK we too bought a property in Aus with FIRB approval.....Foreign Investors Review Board.If not mistaken,even on a 163 Temp.for migration purposes,you are considered to be permanent if you intend to stay longer than 1 year.Also we had to buy a brand new house but only because it was not going to immediately be our primary residence as we had not yet even put in our apps.You can buy an older house if you are there already and will be living in it personally and not renting it out like us.
Government schooling is indeed free as we have pre-enrolled our children already for 2009 as long as your home is in the school zone,there will just be a small stationary fee.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Mark,

You do get a tax free allowance ... you will be resident for tax purposes, albeit a temporary tax resident.

Best regards.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

midlife crisis is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark

There is a massive thread on the immigration section all about the 163 Visa. It was started back in 2005 when a lot of us came over here. If you can wade through it there is a lot of valuble information on there and you may make some new contacts of people at the same stage as you.

Just search for it under Business visa 163.

I didn't want to sound negative, it is wonderful here and for somebody who was dragged here it has been the best thing we did for our family. I just have to say it has been a long journey and until we get permanent residency we will not feel totally settled.

Anyway. let me know if I can help you further