British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Relocating! (moved from welcome inn) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/relocating-moved-welcome-inn-871179/)

Bermudashorts Jan 24th 2016 8:42 am

Re: Relocating! (moved from welcome inn)

Originally Posted by Harx (Post 11846450)
Hi, thank you all for replying. My initial post was short on info! A sports centre manager is on the list of jobs that requires a sponsorship visa 457 (thank you for posting the link) which is something that I think would suit me and my family. I've been on the immigration/ skills select web site and completed as much of an application as possible i.e. qualifications, employment history, family information etc.
From the replies, it sounds like I have dived right on in there and missed some vital parts regarding the 457?
I will go back and do some further homework on this!

I am more than prepared to visit and meet potential employers who are able to sponsor employees.

Thank you all again.

You are right, that job is on the CSOL but the only state sponsoring is SA and even then only with conditions ehich is likely to include having a job offer.

Do you properly understand the 457 visa? This is a temporary visa and does not change into a permanent one over time nor does it enable people to "apply for residency after two years" - something an inordinate amount of people believe.

I think the 457 visa has its place, but it isn't generally considered a good visa for people with families that are looking to me migrate. There is a lot of risk with it and you could end up with 90 days notice to leave the country should your employment situation change. On the other hand there are people who go onto being sponsored for a permanent visa later, but important to understand that there is no guarantee of this.

Anyway if 457 is what you want, I will recant my earlier comments about looking for a job not being the place to start. Because with a 457 that is exactly the place to start. There is nothing else for it but to plug away and hope you get lucky, but to be honest I sm not surprised you have not had a break so far, Australia is quite a sporty country and I would be incredulous if they had to look overseas for sports centre managers. I guess if you work for a global brand like Virgin Active, maybe you could enquire about a transfer?

What occupation is your partner in by the way?

quoll Jan 24th 2016 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 11846460)
It's hard to imagine a scenario in the current economy where a 457 suits a family with 3 kids. ;)

Indeed! Not something I would be doing! Not unless the kids were very young and you had pots of money in reserve and could rent out your house and take career breaks from your respective jobs, in which case it might be a bit of an adventure for a year or two.

DC10 Jan 24th 2016 7:55 pm

Visa issues aside (as important as they are), my advice to OP would be to consider regional areas (generally 150km + from state capitals), where leisure centres are generally council-run and vacancies are widely advertised. Try a website like LG Assist. Also note that Dec-Jan (& even Feb) is a quiet time to be looking for jobs in Aus.

Harx Jan 24th 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks again for replying, I will try answer what I can, maybe not in order though!
My wife works as a receptionist at another leisure centre.
I am aware the 457 is a temporary visa, however I was on the understanding that it was a commitment from the employer for the duration of the visa (providing you was doing the job that you was employed for).
I am well aware of the sporting greatness of the country, I am a rugby fan!
The 457 seemed to fit/ sound better due to the lower financial cost for the initial few years before the permanent residency fee's/ application were considered. My children are 6, 11 and 14 and I wouldn't exactly say that I have pots of money should the worse case scenario happen.

The dream doesn't sound very promising right now, but thank you for being open and frank on the subject.

Harx Jan 24th 2016 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 11846862)
Visa issues aside (as important as they are), my advice to OP would be to consider regional areas (generally 150km + from state capitals), where leisure centres are generally council-run and vacancies are widely advertised. Try a website like LG Assist. Also note that Dec-Jan (& even Feb) is a quiet time to be looking for jobs in Aus.

Thank you for the advice, I will look LG assist up.

Bermudashorts Jan 24th 2016 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Harx (Post 11846863)
Thanks again for replying, I will try answer what I can, maybe not in order though!
My wife works as a receptionist at another leisure centre.
I am aware the 457 is a temporary visa, however I was on the understanding that it was a commitment from the employer for the duration of the visa (providing you was doing the job that you was employed for).
I am well aware of the sporting greatness of the country, I am a rugby fan!
The 457 seemed to fit/ sound better due to the lower financial cost for the initial few years before the permanent residency fee's/ application were considered. My children are 6, 11 and 14 and I wouldn't exactly say that I have pots of money should the worse case scenario happen.

The dream doesn't sound very promising right now, but thank you for being open and frank on the subject.

There is absolutely no commitment on behalf of the sponsoring company. If they decide your face doesn't fit after your three month probation they are at perfect liberty to let you go. If you don't fit in or they decide to shut the leisure centre down, they can just let you go. Then you have to find another sponsor to take over your visa or you have 90 days to pack up and leave the country.

I do not understand what you mean about it being low cost before "permanent residency fees" are considered. Getting permanent residency is not a matter if paying some fees, unfortunately there is far more to it, namely you must qualify for and lodge a successful application for one of the permanent visas. At the moment it would be impossible for anyone in your occupation to do this unless they have an employer company willing to sponsor for a permanent visa.

Your eldest child in particular is at a terrible age for a 457 visa. If you had to leave after say a couple of years they would be 16, have missed out on GCSEs but there is no Australian equivalent and they might struggle with getting into a UK six form without that foundation. Many people do advise against 457 for families, but it is particularly risky for families with teenagers.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 25th 2016 12:20 am

I know nothing about Australian Leisure Center's but would be very surprised is someone could get sponsored for such a job at a US one.

NickyC Jan 25th 2016 12:25 am

Do we have Leisure Centres here?

I know of indoor swimming pools and various indoor Sporting venues but can't recall ever seeing anything that could be called a Leisure Centre?

teza Jan 25th 2016 2:30 am

Heaps of leisure centres in WA! All run by local shires though, can't see them justifying 457s when plenty of local able and willing. Plus school fees applicable for all 457 kids in WA as of this year.

NickyC Jan 25th 2016 3:13 am

Originally Posted by teza (Post 11847146)
Heaps of leisure centres in WA! All run by local shires though, can't see them justifying 457s when plenty of local able and willing. Plus school fees applicable for all 457 kids in WA as of this year.

Thanks for that. I just checked my local council and apparently we have a 'Leisure Centre' too.

It used to be an indoor/outdoor pool complex but they appear to have built a gym on the premises and now call the whole thing a 'leisure centre'.

I learn something every day!

teza Jan 25th 2016 3:21 am

I can only speak of my local area, small town with 3 large leisure centres within 15min drive, one next door to me. In local population oversupply of PTs with business or management degree etc all fighting to get a job in there. There'd be hell to pay from ratepayers if any one of them supplied 457 sponsored manager...

Dorothy Jan 25th 2016 4:17 am

Originally Posted by teza (Post 11847175)
I can only speak of my local area, small town with 3 large leisure centres within 15min drive, one next door to me. In local population oversupply of PTs with business or management degree etc all fighting to get a job in there. There'd be hell to pay from ratepayers if any one of them supplied 457 sponsored manager...

Especially with WA's hiring freeze on. With hundreds, if not more people being made redundant from the WA public service I think there would be a whole lot of explaining to be done if a council decided to sponsor an overseas worker for a job rather than giving it to a local.

teza Jan 25th 2016 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11847195)
Especially with WA's hiring freeze on. With hundreds, if not more people being made redundant from the WA public service I think there would be a whole lot of explaining to be done if a council decided to sponsor an overseas worker for a job rather than giving it to a local.

My thoughts exactly :goodpost:

Bermudashorts Jan 25th 2016 5:51 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 11847065)
Do we have Leisure Centres here?

I know of indoor swimming pools and various indoor Sporting venues but can't recall ever seeing anything that could be called a Leisure Centre?

Originally Posted by teza (Post 11847146)

We were members of Virgin Active at Frenchs Forest, I didn't tend to use the term leisure centre but I am assuming it is the type of thing OP means, gym, pool, classes, cafe etc.

I also cannot imagine why any such place would need to hire someone from overseas. It would be extremely easy to fill any vacancy with a local. For that reason, this probably a non starter.