British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Relocating! (moved from welcome inn) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/relocating-moved-welcome-inn-871179/)

Harx Jan 23rd 2016 4:50 pm

Relocating! (moved from welcome inn)

Hi

I am really interested in relocating to Australia with my wife and three children. I am a the deputy manager at a very busy leisure centre and was wondering if anyone had any tips/ advice on finding a similar job? I have signed up with indeed, seek and adzuna job searches, but as yet I have had no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pulaski Jan 23rd 2016 5:27 pm

Re: Relocating!

Hi Harx, welcome to BE.

You will probably do best to post your questions over on the Australia forum.

My limited understanding of Australian immigration is that you or your spouse/ partner will have to have experience or qualifications on the list of occupations that are qualified for a visa.

Harx Jan 23rd 2016 5:31 pm

Thank-you, I'm new to the forum!

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 23rd 2016 5:34 pm

Linkedin?

Harx Jan 23rd 2016 5:40 pm

Relocating!

Hi

I am really interested in relocating to Australia with my wife and three children. I am a the deputy manager at a very busy leisure centre in the UK and was wondering if anyone had any tips/ advice on finding a similar job? I have signed up with indeed, seek and adzuna job searches, but as yet I have had no joy.

Harx Jan 23rd 2016 5:48 pm

I'm on LinkedIn, but can't connect with people.

quoll Jan 23rd 2016 8:06 pm

Have you got a visa? Are your skills in demand? Start at the beginning rather than hopping in at the end!

Pollyana Jan 23rd 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Harx (Post 11846062)
Hi

I am really interested in relocating to Australia with my wife and three children. I am a the deputy manager at a very busy leisure centre in the UK and was wondering if anyone had any tips/ advice on finding a similar job? I have signed up with indeed, seek and adzuna job searches, but as yet I have had no joy.

Welcome to BE!

As Quoll says, first you need to see if you qualify for a visa by checking if your job is on the SOL or CSOL. Have a good read of Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

scot47 Jan 23rd 2016 10:13 pm

Have you looked at the job categories where visas MAY be granted. I fear that Deputy manager of a Leisure Complex does not feature. Do you have other skills that might be in demand ?

Bermudashorts Jan 23rd 2016 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Harx (Post 11846062)
Hi

Yep, as others have said looking for a job is not the place to start. Well not unless you already have a visa or citizenship. I would have some doubts as to whether your occupation would qualify for a work related visa, not every occupation will and if it s not n the list then job or no job you will not be able to get a visa.

old.sparkles Jan 24th 2016 2:37 am

Hi Harx and welcome to the forum :welcome:

As others have said, to be able to relocate to Australia you need an occupation on the skills list - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/...ons-lists/CSOL

I'm also not sure that deputy manager of a leisure complex will be sufficient but I haven't checked the list.

Is it possible the OH has a skill on the list?

Pollyana Jan 24th 2016 4:40 am

Re: Relocating! (moved from welcome inn)

Threads merged

Harx Jan 24th 2016 7:43 am

Hi, thank you all for replying. My initial post was short on info! A sports centre manager is on the list of jobs that requires a sponsorship visa 457 (thank you for posting the link) which is something that I think would suit me and my family. I've been on the immigration/ skills select web site and completed as much of an application as possible i.e. qualifications, employment history, family information etc.
From the replies, it sounds like I have dived right on in there and missed some vital parts regarding the 457?
I will go back and do some further homework on this!

I am more than prepared to visit and meet potential employers who are able to sponsor employees.

Thank you all again.

Harx Jan 24th 2016 8:02 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11846332)
Hi Harx and welcome to the forum :welcome:

As others have said, to be able to relocate to Australia you need an occupation on the skills list - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/...ons-lists/CSOL

I'm also not sure that deputy manager of a leisure complex will be sufficient but I haven't checked the list.

Is it possible the OH has a skill on the list?

The Mrs does not have a skill on the list. Thanks for the link

Tr1boy Jan 24th 2016 8:12 am

It's hard to imagine a scenario in the current economy where a 457 suits a family with 3 kids. ;)