Relocating

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Southerngirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating

Hi

Not been on here for years as life got in the way. However OH has been offered job opportunities in Newcastle area and is interested in one in Townsville. Can anyone fill me in on what these cities are like, particularly with younger (primary age) kids.

Thanks so much in anticipation.

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice
Default Re: Relocating

My husband had a similar choice. Im from Liverpool and lived in Coolum, much further south than Townsville and had also lived in Port Douglas, much further north than Townsville. It really depends on whether you are lover of the heat first and foremost(and the humidity!) I LOVED Port Douglas, but could never live there permenantly. I go back in the deep mid winter, when its only about 25 degrees..
Coolum, much further down than Townsville was still very hot. I like nice weather but the humidity killed me. There are a lot of Brits in that part who loved it, but it wasnt for me.
We spent a week in Townsville and my memory of it is how flat the town is, very prone to flooding. It was ok but only for a holiday, for me.
We were so confused we tossed a coin and it landed on Newcastle. It was the best choice for me. Im from Liverpool so missed a bit of city action and altho a bit of a 'country town' as I call it, compared to a UK city, it has beautiful beaches, beautiful summers(up to 40 deg) but with little humidity. Houses are much cheaper here and I spent 2 years in Qld looking for a job with no luck. Took me a bit of time but I got a good part time job here. Mining is a big thing and bring in lots of money to the area and it doesnt feel like much has changed since the financial crisis.
I love the fact that I still get a winter here, no leaves on the trees and the wood fire on. That may not sound like a big thing but its those things you end up missing I found. Is your other half in the RAAF?
If you need any more info on either place give us a shout,
Good luck xx
Lesley
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 2:10 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Southerngirl and welcome. Can't help you with the locations but just saying hello.

Sorry your post was apparantly missed for several days. These replies will bring it back up the list.

Should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:25 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take Newcastle unless there is a huge difference in the job opportunity. Townsville has extreme weather - its very humid and the sun is incredibly hot prior to the wet - when you can expect flooding, storms and possibly cyclones. It's not the prettiest town around in my opinion - very drive everywhere with American style shopping centres - apart from a bit of a focus on the Strand - a water park for kids. The sea is not swimmable between November to April due to stingers and the beach is small.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Southerngirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for your replies and advice.

Our preferences seem to be Newcastle at the moment, but have a few possible opportunities down south first. Will keep you posted.

SG