Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it essential to have a car in Perth?

Is it essential to have a car in Perth?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about
Default Is it essential to have a car in Perth?

Hi all,

I've been checking out the BE site for a while and have found the tips very helpful while I have been here in Oz.

I am looking to settle down in either Sydney or Perth after a stint of travelling and really do like the feel and atmosphere of Perth but wanted to check with residents it is essential to have a car to get anywhere in Perth?

I've found it is more sparse than Sydney but wanted to see if others survive without a car here? I personally do not want to go through with the process of buying a car if I can avoid it.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it essential to have a car in Perth?

Originally Posted by mitz24
Hi all,

I've been checking out the BE site for a while and have found the tips very helpful while I have been here in Oz.

I am looking to settle down in either Sydney or Perth after a stint of travelling and really do like the feel and atmosphere of Perth but wanted to check with residents it is essential to have a car to get anywhere in Perth?

I've found it is more sparse than Sydney but wanted to see if others survive without a car here? I personally do not want to go through with the process of buying a car if I can avoid it.

yes
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
yes
Yes and no.. Trains here are very good. To get to the main areas it's no problem. But outside of that and I wouldn't be without my car! Had to get a train to KwinanA Station daily, and the place is about a 5 to 10 minute drive from the station via 80 to 100km/h roads. Walked once, took the best part of an hour and I was walking down some fast roads with no footpath (pedestrians not allowed but turned a blind eye as I needed to get to a client!) It simply isn't walkable, and the bus takes approx an hour from the station ontop of the 30mins to get there, and still doesn't get you all the way there. Taxi was 20 dollars each way station to work and back, so all in all a 50 dollar commute to work!

It works out cheaper with car finance, insurance and fuel! And I get to work ion 30mins rather than 1.5 or 2hrs or so! Plus, out of hours it grinds to a halt, busses to a concert I was headed to ended at 7, and we were waiting ages for a train home, the one there didn't stop at the station we wanted!

It just depends on your situation but I wouldn't be without my car

Last edited by saff; Sep 1st 2011 at 6:12 am.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

If Sydney and its hinterland is anything to go by then I'd say its probably essential to have a car in Australia.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

If not wanting a car you would be better off in Sydney,depending on where you resided there. I have a friend there who doesn't even drive and gets along fine.
Even a former NSW state leader did not drive. Saying that the former mayor of Subiacco, a fairly upmarket close to city burb,also never learnt to drive, so it can be done.

I had no car the first years in Perth as don't like them and can hire something really nice on trips away where then it is a bit of a treat.
Finally did buy a car and sure enough became lazier not long after even though don't use it to anywhere near the extent most locals do.

So the long and the short of it is if you live in the inner city as I do public transport suites most purposes but say to visit other suburbs say to see friends then a car certainly makes life easier.

It should be noted that Perth has the highest car useage in Australia. I can clearly see the massive build up in vechicle numbers in recent years in my area. Problems ahead if better planning not put into place.

I cycle as well and used this as my mode of transport to work. Worth getting a bike if you do come but the roads are dangerous to use when unable to navigate on cycle paths.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Prudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud of

If your work is near a train station and you work standard office hours, public transport is fine and in my experience quicker than driving on some routes. The suburbs are fairly well-covered with buses that connect to trains. However, if you want to go anywhere else, any other time, you may well be stuffed. Where I used to live, the last bus back to the suburbs was at 7pm and the buses just didn`t connect with the shops. If I wanted to go to the major shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon, I could either spend 10 minutes shopping or wait for the bus that came 50 minutes after the shops shut. I used to walk a lot of the time. You can get around not having a car or by living near to shops/bars or shopping online, or getting taxis if that suits your lifestyle.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

You could manage, if you lived in an inner suburb, worked in that suburb or the CBD, and if your leisure activities were city-based. I didn't drive for my first two years in Australia and just about managed, but I hated relying on others for transport when going outside the city, eg on bushwalking or camping trips. You can end up spending so much money on taxis, or wasting so much time hanging around for buses or trains.

If I wanted to live in Perth without a car, I'd choose to live somewhere like Subiaco or Claremont, where there are several food shopping options, not far from the CBD, King's Park, the river or the coast, and where there are buses and trains to get to these things. I'd also look at Cottesloe, Mosman Park and Nedlands (no train at Nedlands). These areas are also flat, so good for cycling and walking in the heat. Inevitably, though, you would want to learn to drive if you can't already, get a car and become a real Perthite.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

I have lived in Sydney for 6 months before and was fine without a car there as it was easy to track the transport system online and on my phone.

Have heard real issues with the merging of lanes in Perth but being from London I would have no problem cutting people if needs be

For work it wouldn't be an issue as I would likely be living near the CBD in either city it's just more if I wanted to go anywhere else on the weekends/evenings but as I say the comments have been very helpful and will soon make a decision on where to go...cheers guys
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Mergin isnt an issue at all as long as you let people get on with it.. Just use your.common sense, see the merge well in advance and create lots of space in front of you by slowing down or moving over.. common sense is very lacking on the perth freeways ive found, with almost everyone driving up your arse, hogging middle lans, and refusing to give people a safe amount of moving space!
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Prudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud of

Have heard real issues with the merging of lanes in Perth but being from London I would have no problem cutting people if needs be
If you`ve driven in London (are you crazy?!), you`ll be fine in Perth. It will probably still make you angry, though.

Originally Posted by HelenTD
If I wanted to live in Perth without a car, I'd choose to live somewhere like Subiaco or Claremont, where there are several food shopping options, not far from the CBD, King's Park, the river or the coast, and where there are buses and trains to get to these things. I'd also look at Cottesloe, Mosman Park and Nedlands (no train at Nedlands).
Fremantle is also a no-car option as it`s fairly compact and has a good free bus, and train station to link to Perth.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 8:06 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

IMO yes, trains are overcrowded and the anti-social behavior on them can sometimes make for an uncomfortable experience.
Also car drivers in perth are mental and just do not know how to drive slow.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthbum
IMO yes, trains are overcrowded and the anti-social behavior on them can sometimes make for an uncomfortable experience.
Also car drivers in perth are mental and just do not know how to drive slow.
Some train lines are known to have more problems than others, eg the Armadale line.

Some Perth drivers do the right thing, though I can't help but wonder if it is the British migrants who do so.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Some train lines are known to have more problems than others, eg the Armadale line.

Some Perth drivers do the right thing, though I can't help but wonder if it is the British migrants who do so.
When I have been in Perth, I have had no issues with the driving. It's a broadly Western standard.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
When I have been in Perth, I have had no issues with the driving. It's a broadly Western standard.
I have heard some Perth visitors to Melbourne say that the driving standards are much better there. I've also heard interstate migrants to Perth, as well as overseas ones, complain about driving standards here.

Which parts of Perth did you drive around?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard some Perth visitors to Melbourne say that the driving standards are much better there. I've also heard interstate migrants to Perth, as well as overseas ones, complain about driving standards here.

Which parts of Perth did you drive around?
CBD, and sarrf of the River. Where all the poor people live, or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.