Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Regarding the rules on shipping out items

Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

anngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really nice
Default Regarding the rules on shipping out items

Q1. I am using seven seas for shipping, approx 15-20 boxes of clothes, shoes, kitchen stuff small ornaments and a rocking chair (the rocking chair is the only furniture I am taking) – has anybody encountered any problems with this company? Any problems with delivery dates? Missing boxes? Broken items?

Q2. The rules regarding new items – I have read that there are restrictions on new looking items that look less than a year old.
Part a = Can anyone tell me more about this? i.e. I have a lot of clothes and shoes that I brought on a HUGE spending spree about 2 to 3 years ago which mostly appear new and many shoes I have never even worn!
Part b = I have kept all the receipts for all of these items and if needed I could prove the age from the receipts?
Part c = what happens if they don’t believe the age of stuff…do they make you pay tax or something? How does this work?

Q3. I have a rocking chair. It’s got a lot of sentimental value, all of my aunties were nursed in it as babies and I was also nursed on it too. It was hand build by my great granddad. It’s made of wood, I will be dismantling it to get it to fit in a big box. My question is how does the wooden rule work? Do they have to fumigate 100% of wooden stuff that gets taken into Australia? Or do they inspect it? I have given it a good look at and I can’t see any signs of infestations of insects etc.

Q4. I have read perfume is also a problem – I have several partly used perfumes bottles, will they make some kind of charge?

Q5. Basically I am asking are the customs people really pedantic on checking stuff

Q6. I will have my stuff shipped to a storage comapy (as I will be living in nurse accommodation initially) in Sydney area, can anyone recommend a good storage company?

many thanks
ann-marie
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:41 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regarding the rules on shipping out items

Really don't sweat it!
Customs are really only interested in stuff that they think you might be importing for sale with regards to your almost new clothes! They will be less than interested in your half used perfume bottles!
The other thing that they're worried about it mud, untreated wood and seeds!

There are lots of self store places in and around Sydney. I use a Kennards Self Storage unit here in Adelaide, for work stuff, it's clean secure and you can come and go pretty much as you please! Choose one that's local and convenient to you.
HTH
Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

As Alipally says, they are only interested in wood which is untreated which I would imagine is not the case with your rocking chair.
Your shipping company should be able to advise you, after all, this is what you are paying them for.
Lots of luck with your move
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anngroovy
Q2. The rules regarding new items – I have read that there are restrictions on new looking items that look less than a year old.
Part a = Can anyone tell me more about this? i.e. I have a lot of clothes and shoes that I brought on a HUGE spending spree about 2 to 3 years ago which mostly appear new and many shoes I have never even worn!
Part b = I have kept all the receipts for all of these items and if needed I could prove the age from the receipts?
Part c = what happens if they don’t believe the age of stuff…do they make you pay tax or something? How does this work?
You will be fine Unless you have hundreds of pairs of shoes and look like you are going to try and sell them, you'll be fine. they are really looking for high value, electrical -type stuff.

Q3. I have a rocking chair. It’s got a lot of sentimental value, all of my aunties were nursed in it as babies and I was also nursed on it too. It was hand build by my great granddad. It’s made of wood, I will be dismantling it to get it to fit in a big box. My question is how does the wooden rule work? Do they have to fumigate 100% of wooden stuff that gets taken into Australia? Or do they inspect it? I have given it a good look at and I can’t see any signs of infestations of insects etc.
You'll be fine, sounds like its treated wood - really they are after things like far eastern woods, full of nasty bugs unknown in Aus.
Q4. I have read perfume is also a problem – I have several partly used perfumes bottles, will they make some kind of charge?
No problem at all - though I suggest packing them in a plastic box in case anything breaks/spills