Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All these emotions

All these emotions

Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default All these emotions

Up one minute & down the next!

All our belongings went last week which I was expecting to be a bit emotional but it was fine. The packers were lovely which I think helped although the day did unsettled our son a bit. I happily took photos of the whole event, even the lorry driving away with all our worldly goods. I then collected our daughter from school who came out with her school report. The headmistress had written "It has been a pleasure to watch H***** develop in confidence as the year has progressed. We will miss her sunny smile and wish her all the best in her new school and new country" which reduced me to tears. I was no better when she left Rainbows last week either.

My eldest daughter who is not coming with us has decided that because I'm leaving she's not going to talk to me anymore & has even gone as far as to delete & block me on facebook. Flippin hormonal teenagers Not quite sure how I'm going to deal with this but really would like to get it sorted before I move.

This afternoon I've handed my notice in at work I love my job & am really going to miss it there.

I am completely dreading next week as our son leaves pre-school on Tuesday which is also his birthday. Both my youngest 2 went there & I've been chairman for the past 2 years as well so am very much involved plus I run the toddler group & the last one of those is on Monday. Then on Wednesday our daughter leaves her school. I start welling up just thinking about it all. I'm going to be a complete wreck next week

And I've still got to re-home my cat

Alison x
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:31 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All these emotions

Originally Posted by al150n

All our belongings went last week which I was expecting to be a bit emotional but it was fine. The packers were lovely which I think helped although the day did unsettled our son a bit. I happily took photos of the whole event, even the lorry driving away with all our worldly goods. I then collected our daughter from school who came out with her school report. The headmistress had written "It has been a pleasure to watch H***** develop in confidence as the year has progressed. We will miss her sunny smile and wish her all the best in her new school and new country" which reduced me to tears. I was no better when she left Rainbows last week either.

My eldest daughter who is not coming with us has decided that because I'm leaving she's not going to talk to me anymore & has even gone as far as to delete & block me on facebook. Flippin hormonal teenagers Not quite sure how I'm going to deal with this but really would like to get it sorted before I move.

This afternoon I've handed my notice in at work I love my job & am really going to miss it there.

I am completely dreading next week as our son leaves pre-school on Tuesday which is also his birthday. Both my youngest 2 went there & I've been chairman for the past 2 years as well so am very much involved plus I run the toddler group & the last one of those is on Monday. Then on Wednesday our daughter leaves her school. I start welling up just thinking about it all. I'm going to be a complete wreck next week

Alison x
I have to ask...why are you leaving? and where are you going to?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

We're heading for Perth

As for why are we leaving....erm.......lots of reasons.

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to going but it's just all the goodbyes & things ending here. The kids both started pre-school & school after we got our visas. I actually started my job just after we got back from our validation trip so knew I wouldn't be staying there so it's sods law it's the best job I've ever had.

Alison x
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you Alison.

I am from Perth so if you have any queries, fire away. Haven't lived there for 9 years tho, so might not be as up to date with other posters on here!

Shame you're not able to take your cat... I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like, but understand that taking him/her is not best for everyone.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
Best of luck to you Alison.

I am from Perth so if you have any queries, fire away. Haven't lived there for 9 years tho, so might not be as up to date with other posters on here!

Shame you're not able to take your cat... I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like, but understand that taking him/her is not best for everyone.
We didn't think it would be fair on her to be in quarantine for so long as she's a real fusspot & likes to have company all the time. She came from the RSPCA & it just didn't feel right to have her caged up again to move her to Oz so decided it would be best for her if she was re-homed.

Alison x
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Oh hon, big hugs. The last little bit can be a huge strain emotionally & fraught with anxiety.
You will get through though.
I really hope that you manage to sort things with your daughter before you leave, that must be a huge worry for you.
Lots of luck
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:45 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Yeah totally agree with SS. The last couple of weeks were just hellish for us too, I fully sympathise. Just keep reminding yourself why you are going and grit your teeth-you'll make it through in the end. I hope you can sort things out with your daughter soon
big hug to you and yours
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

If you didn't shed a few tears I'd say there was something wrong! It was random things that set me off before we left....I was a mess the day my beloved car was sold! I was ok with the house but the car was different!

We're heading back to the UK and I have spent the last hour watching Delia Smith's Christmas special....and I cried!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved to Singapore (in 1997) the pre-moving period was incredibly stressful and we had lots of arguments. We cried buckets leaving our cats.

When we actually got here it was fine and the adjustment brought us closer together.

I'm sure your daughter will come around fairly soon.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for all your replies, just reading them has made me tearful again

I really don't know where to start with my daughter at the moment. She's even stopped talking to my eldest now as he's been trying to help sort things....flippin teenagers!

We're off to the garden centre today to buy a plant for the garden at pre-school rather than buying sweets or something for the staff. Thought it would be a bit more personnel especially as the kids are so involved in the garden as well.

Then I need to get our sons birthday party organised for Thursday & borrow some baking tins to make his cake. I'm having to ask everyone to just get small presents for him as every thing he gets has got to go in our luggage now

Alison x
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We were blunt with friends and said could they please put cash in a card if they wanted to give a gift. Meant we took our son shopping when we got here for some new toys while waiting on the container.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:48 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by al150n

Alison x
Oh, I am sending you lots and lots of {{{hugs}}}, it is still so raw for me, only 12 weeks ago I was going through the exact same thing. It is very VERY stressful those last few weeks and days. I remember crying at just about everything, leaving work (I also loved my job very much and it is one of the main things I am missing) I cried at the kids school when all the mums and teachers kept saying goodbye etc...... Suprisingly I stopped crying about 2 days before I left, we had a family get together the night before everyone but ME was in tears saying goodbye, really strange.

You WILL be fine, you WILL get through it.

I hope your daughter comes round before you leave

Does she have any plans to visit????

Stay strong, everything will be so unfamiliar when you arrive, shopping and just the way things are done, but it is all part of the new adventure.

I'm struggling here at the minute because I really want and need to work but it's not happening at the moment. It will, I'm sure it will.

Good luck with what time you have left in the UK
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you - you will look back in a year and (hopefully cross fingers eyes and toes) think - wow I'm so glad I persevered.

All the best
OSM x
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kingseat
We were blunt with friends and said could they please put cash in a card if they wanted to give a gift. Meant we took our son shopping when we got here for some new toys while waiting on the container.
We did consider this but he's only going to be 4 & I don't think he'll understand if his friends turn up for his party with just a card. I've told people about a few small little things that he'd like which can go in his hand luggage for the flight

Alison x
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by louise
Oh, I am sending you lots and lots of {{{hugs}}}, it is still so raw for me, only 12 weeks ago I was going through the exact same thing. It is very VERY stressful those last few weeks and days. I remember crying at just about everything, leaving work (I also loved my job very much and it is one of the main things I am missing) I cried at the kids school when all the mums and teachers kept saying goodbye etc...... Suprisingly I stopped crying about 2 days before I left, we had a family get together the night before everyone but ME was in tears saying goodbye, really strange.

You WILL be fine, you WILL get through it.

I hope your daughter comes round before you leave

Does she have any plans to visit????

Stay strong, everything will be so unfamiliar when you arrive, shopping and just the way things are done, but it is all part of the new adventure.

I'm struggling here at the minute because I really want and need to work but it's not happening at the moment. It will, I'm sure it will.

Good luck with what time you have left in the UK
Thank you

My daughter is 14 in a couple of weeks but has no plans to come over even for a holiday, the boys have both asked for details about visas incase they decide they want to follow me but they will come out to visit any way.

I hope you manage to find a job soon

Alison x