Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reg : Right time to Move

Reg : Right time to Move

Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reg : Right time to Move

Originally Posted by DeadVim
BTW I think Perksy has a point ... for what it is worth ...
I do'nt really fink he does.

Theres' a big diffrence between the time someone spends writing a post on BE...and that they might spend writing & poof reading they're CV or cover letter before they send it to a potential employer.

There are plenty of people from the UK who post on this site and was thinking of emergrating and carnt spell properly - they get the grammer nazi thing but not this type of response, innit.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:04 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

Theres' a big diffrence between the time someone spends writing a post on BE...and that they might spend writing & poof reading they're CV or cover letter before they send it to a potential employer.

There are plenty of people from the UK who post on this site and was thinking of emergrating and carnt spell properly - they get the grammer nazi thing but not this type of response, innit.
Its nothing at all to do with spelling or grammar in his post. Its quite clear the OP has poor English language skills and may suffer.

Certainly when I have been sifting applications for my own company in the UK, the ones with careless covering letters and CV's were binned without consideration.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh well woteva, I ain't bovvered.

All e is saying, like, is that yer more likely to get a job in an English speaking country if, like, you can reed, rite and speak the lingo better than the next lucky contestant.

All fings being equal.

Unless you wanna drive cabs.

Stands to reason dunnit?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Stands to reason dunnit?
All I'm saying is I read the post and knew exactly what he meant. Meanwhile there are other people who post in perfect English and I get to the end and think WTF! (naming no names).

My experience is someone with less than perfect English can get a job...and a good one at that. Not saying don't mention it...but give the OP the constructive advice they were actually after as well!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:24 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

All I'm saying is I read the post and knew exactly what he meant. Meanwhile there are other people who post in perfect English and I get to the end and think WTF! (naming no names).

My experience is someone with less than perfect English can get a job...and a good one at that. Not saying don't mention it...but give the OP the constructive advice they were actually after as well!
Righty dokey matey, I agree that someone virtually unintelligable can get a job in IT where a decent standard of English is expected.

I know, because I deal with them from around 2:30 in the afternoon when India wakes up and we have to deal with IBM technical support.

The usual "I am not being racist" disclaimer applies here but **** me it does my head in.

Last edited by DeadVim; Jul 5th 2010 at 6:24 am. Reason: For the pedants!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:50 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Righty dokey matey, I agree that someone virtually unintelligable can get a job in IT where a decent standard of English is expected.

I know, because I deal with them from around 2:30 in the afternoon when India wakes up and we have to deal with IBM technical support.

The usual "I am not being racist" disclaimer applies here but **** me it does my head in.
Thats a good shout and I don't think thats racist at all. If anybody did then surely its political correctness gone mad.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:10 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by perksy
Thats a good shout and I don't think thats racist at all. If anybody did then surely its political correctness gone mad.
Aye, it is bad enough trying to resolve deeply technical and complex issues over the phone without having additional handicaps chucked your way.

But hell, if you can off-shore the support and save a few bob who cares what the people who have to deal with it feel?

At both ends, I'll quickly point out.