Reload this Page >

References for TRA

References for TRA

Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

ThomasandLynsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default References for TRA

Hi!

We are just about to start the process of filling out the application to send to the TRA and we were wondering about the references requirement. It says you have to provide a technical reference from your current employer but if I was to ask for this my employer would know that I am planning to leave the company which could be very awkward and risky in my trade (electrician). Is there any way around this? I can provide references from the last 4 companies I have worked for just not for my present employment.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: References for TRA

Originally Posted by ThomasandLynsey
Hi!

We are just about to start the process of filling out the application to send to the TRA and we were wondering about the references requirement. It says you have to provide a technical reference from your current employer but if I was to ask for this my employer would know that I am planning to leave the company which could be very awkward and risky in my trade (electrician). Is there any way around this? I can provide references from the last 4 companies I have worked for just not for my present employment.

No way round it I'm afraid.

What we did was tell the hubby's boss (he's an electrician too ) that we were just seeing if we could get in, but that it was a long shot. You will probably find that they will say to you that they wish you all the best and that they wish they could do it.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

Originally Posted by WendyC
No way round it I'm afraid.

What we did was tell the hubby's boss (he's an electrician too ) that we were just seeing if we could get in, but that it was a long shot. You will probably find that they will say to you that they wish you all the best and that they wish they could do it.
I am self employed and have been for the last 13 years so do I self certificate?
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djfbug
I am self employed and have been for the last 13 years so do I self certificate?
I'm unsure about the procedure for self employed. Luckily the OH has been employed by the same company for 12 years.

Sorry I can't help.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:31 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by djfbug
as understand it you'll have to do a statuary dec for being self employed as well as providing references from customers, suppliers and prove that you have been in business e.g adverts account details.
not self employed and thats what I've learned on here, but I'm sure others that are self employed will give you more info.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:47 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sparks124
as understand it you'll have to do a statuary dec for being self employed as well as providing references from customers, suppliers and prove that you have been in business e.g adverts account details.
not self employed and thats what I've learned on here, but I'm sure others that are self employed will give you more info.
For the self employed poster,
A statement from your accountant, or a letter from the tax office stating the tax paid covering the period claimed for is needed.
Also you will need to show the amount of money you were being paid, this is to make sure you have been working at the level you claim you have, IE a Bricklayer would have been earning more than a labourer claiming to be a bricklayer. (although I have been on sites where hoddies were earning more than the brickies!).
All of the above might not be required by the TRA, but you wont get passed the ASPC without it as proof of employment.

Last edited by paulf; Mar 18th 2006 at 6:08 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

davykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud of

Hi!

I was in the the same boat but i just explained that I was trying to see if i was able to apply and they wished me all the best.
What I did do was I wrote the reference myself putting in exactly what the TRA wanted to here or in this case read and then asked my boss to check and add or alter ( but not to much ) what he thought and then print it out on letter headed paper So you could alweays try it

Hope it all goes well keep us informed

Davy & Kaz
Old Mar 18th 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davykaz
I was in the the same boat but i just explained that I was trying to see if i was able to apply and they wished me all the best.
What I did do was I wrote the reference myself putting in exactly what the TRA wanted to here or in this case read and then asked my boss to check and add or alter ( but not to much ) what he thought and then print it out on letter headed paper So you could alweays try it

Hope it all goes well keep us informed

Davy & Kaz
My husband also wrote his own references, as his boss was to busy. Boss then checked and signed it.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 6:06 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

try this forum,
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32
Old Mar 18th 2006, 6:08 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
My husband also wrote his own references, as his boss was to busy. Boss then checked and signed it.
me too. did anyone out there actually get there boss to write them
Old Mar 18th 2006, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

davykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud of

my new boss did but I still edited it to make it more what they would want to read luckily he just laughed when I asked him to reprint it for me
Old Mar 18th 2006, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice

Hi!

Hi
We have just sent off TRA application for hubby (self-employed bricklayer) he included references from employers, builders merchants/suppliers, accountant, VAT evidence, clients and a stat dec for all the other work as he couldn't possibly get refs for last 20 years for all the jobs done!
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

NO

I had to do 3 references. And I know bugger all about electricians, but we got past it
Old Mar 19th 2006, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

Bear in mind that any work you do to gain TRA approval will need to be done again if you get to Auz, (get certified copies of everything) as you will need to apply to the TRA again for an 'Australian Recognised trade certificate'. This is needed so that you can apply for your state electrical licence, and can't be done before arrival.

My advise would be to thread search the forum re this subject so that you know what you are letting yourselves in for.

Loads of people on here have arrived in Australia, having been issued perm res for being a sparks, only to find there is loads more to do once you get here and before you can start working.

Good luck, its well worth the effort by the way
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by terrym
Bear in mind that any work you do to gain TRA approval will need to be done again if you get to Auz, (get certified copies of everything) as you will need to apply to the TRA again for an 'Australian Recognised trade certificate'. This is needed so that you can apply for your state electrical licence, and can't be done before arrival.

My advise would be to thread search the forum re this subject so that you know what you are letting yourselves in for.

Loads of people on here have arrived in Australia, having been issued perm res for being a sparks, only to find there is loads more to do once you get here and before you can start working.

Good luck, its well worth the effort by the way
Is it only electricians and plumbers who need to get the Australian Recognised Trade Certificate or does every trade ie. I'm a Carpenter / Joiner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.