Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

redcliffe to caloundra

redcliffe to caloundra

Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice
Default Re: redcliffe to caloundra

Originally Posted by KateandPhil
Hi Beth
Just been reading this old thread and thought I would drop you a line for a bit of info.
Me my OH and two kids aged 7 and 5 are moving over in April. I love the look of Caloundra and Little mountain but was really took up with you saying how Little mountain is a great family place and all the kids play on the street together. The schools sounds great, it just sounds like the perfect place for us.
Are you still there and is it still a good place to live? Choosing a place without seeing it is hard but narrowing the choice down is a good start.
I am contacting schools now to see if they have places for my children. Thet are my main concern really if they settle and are happy we will be happy.
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Kate
hi kateandpaul, i know how you feel we too are heading out in april to caloundra, so much to do and organise... your head starts to spin with it all. I think i will need a holiday after all of this lol
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

KateandPhil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by butterfly1234
hi kateandpaul, i know how you feel we too are heading out in april to caloundra, so much to do and organise... your head starts to spin with it all. I think i will need a holiday after all of this lol
Your not kidding my feet haven't touched the ground for weeks!!!
Have you got a place to go to in Caloundra? It looks like a really nice place to live especially if you have kids.
Good look with your move, let me know how you get on and perhaps we could meet for a well earned bottle of wine in Oz
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice

Your not kidding my feet haven't touched the ground for weeks!!!
Have you got a place to go to in Caloundra? It looks like a really nice place to live especially if you have kids.
Good look with your move, let me know how you get on and perhaps we could meet for a well earned bottle of wine in Oz
hi caloundra is lovely we lived there for 2 1/2 years then moved back here to the uk and now returning to caloundra, we are moving back into our house in pelican waters which we have been renting out. Have you sorted out where you will be staying? have you booked your flights yet? we havent, but we need to be there before the start of term, as the girls start back on the 13 april.
It would be great to catch up maybe a bbq at the beach. Just what i could do with right now!!!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by butterfly1234
hi caloundra is lovely we lived there for 2 1/2 years then moved back here to the uk and now returning to caloundra, we are moving back into our house in pelican waters which we have been renting out. Have you sorted out where you will be staying? have you booked your flights yet? we havent, but we need to be there before the start of term, as the girls start back on the 13 april.
It would be great to catch up maybe a bbq at the beach. Just what i could do with right now!!!
I could do with a day at the beach too sick of the cold weather now.
We are flying out on the 13th April they are booked. When we arrive we are staying in Jimboomba. We had originally thought we would settle south of brisbane but have now changed our minds and would like to move north. But I guess everything depends on work.
Are your girls looking forward to going back? What made you come back to the UK?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:44 pm
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Hey Guys

Good luck with the move. We have been in Caloundra for a year now and it is a fantastic place to live for families. Great beaches and general facilities. Our kids go to Currimundi school which they love and is pretty much right on the beach. Let me know if you need any advice or info about moving here.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
Hey Guys

Good luck with the move. We have been in Caloundra for a year now and it is a fantastic place to live for families. Great beaches and general facilities. Our kids go to Currimundi school which they love and is pretty much right on the beach. Let me know if you need any advice or info about moving here.
Hi there. Do you live in Currimundi? Would you reccommend Currimundi school over say Caloundra state school or Meridan? They seem to be the schools most reccommended. The best info you can help with at the moment is schools and good areas to live. We don't have jobs to come out to but I'm sure we will find something, but my oh is a plumber/gasfitter by trade so if you know anyone wanting a plumber.....Lol
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

I could do with a day at the beach too sick of the cold weather now.
We are flying out on the 13th April they are booked. When we arrive we are staying in Jimboomba. We had originally thought we would settle south of brisbane but have now changed our minds and would like to move north. But I guess everything depends on work.
Are your girls looking forward to going back? What made you come back to the UK?
The girls are so excited, they just love having a pool in the garden and beach on the door step. What it is to be a child! None of the stress of packing and organising.
We came back due to me being home sick, really missed my family and friends.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:20 am
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Hi

I'm not the best person to give advice about schools but I can say Currimundi has a great supportive environment with good learning support if your kids needs it. They are very into environmental awareness and do teaching on the beach as the beach is literally a walk along the pathway from the school. You can hear the waves from the playground! They do surfing lessons from year 4 - one of the teachers is connected to the local lifeguards and is an excellent surfer. The headmaster Mr Roberts is exceptionally cheery, talks to all the kids and knows them all by name. I have found the teachers are all very personable. It is not the glitziest of schools but has a good atmosphere. It does not have a catchment area as it is an established school. We are happy with our choice even though it is not the nearest school to us. We live in central Caloundra and so the drive is about 5mins away. We are moving to Little Mountain soon which is in the meridan catchment area but we'll need to persuade the boys to change schools. Merdian school is more glitzier as it is a new build school and has lots of new equipment. It is a primary, middle and high school together. They are still building new facilities and sports grounds. I haven't heard any bad reports about it at all. It has a catchment area though and so you would need to make sure that you got a rental in the Little Mountain/ Meridan Plains area. You can check out the school catchement on the school website. I don't know much about Caloundra school and so it would be best to ask someone else about it. Another school in the area that has a good reputation is Talara college but again it has a catchment area around the Aroona/ West Currimundi area. It seems that people move their kids around schools in Australia pretty easily so if you feel you have made the wrong choice, it's pretty easy to transfer them.

With your husband's gas fitting qualification, he should be fine for getting work as I've been told there is a huge shortage of gasfitters in Australia. If he is prepared to work away in the more rural areas, he shouldn't have a problem. He will probably have to get the australian papers though. My brother in law is a plumber and gas fitter and has just come over to Oz and he needs to get the Australian papers. I don't think the course is long. Best to do some research on the internet about what is required. For jobs, the Sunshine Coast Daily has local jobs and Careerone has further afield jobs.

Hope this has been of help.

Last edited by Pagani-Rennox; Jan 21st 2010 at 11:36 am.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:37 am
Lux
Just Joined

Lux is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it's worth, been to both (not to live) and seems that both have seen better times, but there is more potential for Caloundra to develop back to it's heyday status. Good luck with the move.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:33 am
ClairePagani

Originally Posted by Lux
For what it's worth, been to both (not to live) and seems that both have seen better times, but there is more potential for Caloundra to develop back to it's heyday status. Good luck with the move.
There is a massive council development plan for Caloundra to create a brand new area at Caloundra south with new shops, bars, restaurants, schools, houses, industry etc. Looks good. You can see the plan on the council webite. It's being called Caloundra Downs or Caloundra South.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
Hi

I'm not the best person to give advice about schools but I can say Currimundi has a great supportive environment with good learning support if your kids needs it. They are very into environmental awareness and do teaching on the beach as the beach is literally a walk along the pathway from the school. You can hear the waves from the playground! They do surfing lessons from year 4 - one of the teachers is connected to the local lifeguards and is an excellent surfer. The headmaster Mr Roberts is exceptionally cheery, talks to all the kids and knows them all by name. I have found the teachers are all very personable. It is not the glitziest of schools but has a good atmosphere. It does not have a catchment area as it is an established school. We are happy with our choice even though it is not the nearest school to us. We live in central Caloundra and so the drive is about 5mins away. We are moving to Little Mountain soon which is in the meridan catchment area but we'll need to persuade the boys to change schools. Merdian school is more glitzier as it is a new build school and has lots of new equipment. It is a primary, middle and high school together. They are still building new facilities and sports grounds. I haven't heard any bad reports about it at all. It has a catchment area though and so you would need to make sure that you got a rental in the Little Mountain/ Meridan Plains area. You can check out the school catchement on the school website. I don't know much about Caloundra school and so it would be best to ask someone else about it. Another school in the area that has a good reputation is Talara college but again it has a catchment area around the Aroona/ West Currimundi area. It seems that people move their kids around schools in Australia pretty easily so if you feel you have made the wrong choice, it's pretty easy to transfer them.

With your husband's gas fitting qualification, he should be fine for getting work as I've been told there is a huge shortage of gasfitters in Australia. If he is prepared to work away in the more rural areas, he shouldn't have a problem. He will probably have to get the australian papers though. My brother in law is a plumber and gas fitter and has just come over to Oz and he needs to get the Australian papers. I don't think the course is long. Best to do some research on the internet about what is required. For jobs, the Sunshine Coast Daily has local jobs and Careerone has further afield jobs.

Hope this has been of help.
Thanks this post has been a great help.
Its unbelievable to us brits that surfing is part of the school day! I have been in touch with all the schools and looked at the websites, so as some of the schools have a catchment area i guess it will depend on where we live as to which school they go to.

We have looked into what papers my oh will need to start work but I think all that will need to be sorted when we get there. We have been told there is a shortage of gasfitters although many people on here are finding it hard to get work. Like you say though if he is prepared to work in more rural areas he may find more work.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Thanks this post has been a great help.
Its unbelievable to us brits that surfing is part of the school day! I have been in touch with all the schools and looked at the websites, so as some of the schools have a catchment area i guess it will depend on where we live as to which school they go to.

We have looked into what papers my oh will need to start work but I think all that will need to be sorted when we get there. We have been told there is a shortage of gasfitters although many people on here are finding it hard to get work. Like you say though if he is prepared to work in more rural areas he may find more work.
You know you want to come to Little Mountain If you are on facebook PM me and I will add you and then you can see the pics and make a few more friends from here.

Paddy
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi All

Finally secured a rental in Pelican Waters after 2 months of searching and applying. Kids start school on Weds and we get the Keys on the 11th Feb, goodbye to a 1.45 round trip each way. Will be able to concentrate on business and my surfing skills.

J