Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

redcliffe to caloundra

redcliffe to caloundra

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice
Default redcliffe to caloundra

Hi, I'm desperate for some advice
we are currently living in scarborough, redcliffe & I would like to move to caloundra(found a house in little mountain)
I work in Redcliffe & my husband is concerned about the drive...changing jobs is not an option...I usually work 3 x 12 hr shifts a week but I could possibly car share some days.
I think there will be more for my kids (10 & 7) to do up there ..& am looking for a livelier life style but he doesn't think that it'll be any better up there...he's also worried about the safety of the kids living in a holiday area..with the amount of people passing through.
I'm not overly impressed with redcliffe's facilities or the school my kids attend...the would be in the catchment for meridan plains if we move which is supposed to be a really good school.I'm just worried that I'll be making a mistake by changing the kids school...we've been in scarborough for almost 1 yr.
Any thoughts on either area would be VERY much appreciated
thanx jacq
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice
Default Re: redcliffe to caloundra

Originally Posted by jaca
Hi, I'm desperate for some advice
we are currently living in scarborough, redcliffe & I would like to move to caloundra(found a house in little mountain)
I work in Redcliffe & my husband is concerned about the drive...changing jobs is not an option...I usually work 3 x 12 hr shifts a week but I could possibly car share some days.
I think there will be more for my kids (10 & 7) to do up there ..& am looking for a livelier life style but he doesn't think that it'll be any better up there...he's also worried about the safety of the kids living in a holiday area..with the amount of people passing through.
I'm not overly impressed with redcliffe's facilities or the school my kids attend...the would be in the catchment for meridan plains if we move which is supposed to be a really good school.I'm just worried that I'll be making a mistake by changing the kids school...we've been in scarborough for almost 1 yr.
Any thoughts on either area would be VERY much appreciated
thanx jacq
hi
we live in little mountain, kids go 2 meridan school & oh works in redcliffe
we love it here, were thinking of redcliffe but its got so big and just didnt feel right. where abouts is the house u like in little mountain?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

We've got a rental for a year in casuarina drive...the opposite side from the school...& we're due to move in 3 weeks but my husband is still worried we're making the wrong move.
Where are you?? What do you think of the school ?? & how old are your kids ?? sorry to be so nosey
I've found the redcliffe area to be a bit hillbilly..Sorry if this offends anyone!! When we arrived last year it was pouring rain & I blamed this for my lack of enthusiasm for redcliffe....but 1yr on & it's not changed much but I loved Caloundra as soon as we came up.
how does you husband find the travelling ?? are your kids in any clubs....my daughter loved dancing (ballet,tap & jazz) & gymnastics in scotland but went to one class here & wouldn't go back dunno if it's her age now though...she is quite a madam..
thanks jacq
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

We've got a rental for a year in casuarina drive...the opposite side from the school...& we're due to move in 3 weeks but my husband is still worried we're making the wrong move.
Where are you?? What do you think of the school ?? & how old are your kids ?? sorry to be so nosey
I've found the redcliffe area to be a bit hillbilly..Sorry if this offends anyone!! When we arrived last year it was pouring rain & I blamed this for my lack of enthusiasm for redcliffe....but 1yr on & it's not changed much but I loved Caloundra as soon as we came up.
how does you husband find the travelling ?? are your kids in any clubs....my daughter loved dancing (ballet,tap & jazz) & gymnastics in scotland but went to one class here & wouldn't go back dunno if it's her age now though...she is quite a madam..
thanks jacq
we live in creekwood,2 min walk 2 school. kids love school matthew (6) actually wants to go for a change lol. alana (8) used to go to ballet, havent found classes here yet but it might be hard to get to as oh takes the car to work.
darren doesnt mind driving too much, going is ok but coming home can sometimes be long, depends what time u hit. in the morning it usually takes 45 mins, usually the same coming home but on a friday it can be busy, once it took 2 hours but there was an accident and 2 sets of road works.
do u both work in redcliffe?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Nah.. Robert works in morayfield but his parents live with us so they'll take care of the kids when we're at work...I can request my shifts so I'll prob avoid fridays for a while ...not looking forward to nightshift though I could sleep driving home just now & it's only 5 mins to work...need to have the windows down & the music up !!!
I think we're about 5mins drive over the hill to the school but we had to find a house suitable for us 4 & the in-laws...not easy !!!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:25 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about the Hillbilly feeling but to be honest I find that anywhere outside of the major metropoli in QLD. Caloundra being more of a small city you might not get that so much plus the cost of housing up there tends to drive that demographic out somthing Redcliffe still hasn't done because it has not reached its house price potential. I think you will find that those hillbillies are selling up and moving out of Redcliffe bit by bit. It sounds to me like you like the city lifestyle by the beach, which Redcliffe just isn't really
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

I think your right....I want to have my cake & eat it !!!...
jacq
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:41 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I think your right....I want to have my cake & eat it !!!...
jacq
The reason you are moving away is exactly the reason why I love Redcliffe. I love the fact that we have beaches within walking distance, but do not have to suffer the cramped and hustle bussell conditions that Brisbane and other cities suffer from. For me I feel that it is a very safe and great community to bring up kids, especially for sport. Most importantly I love the fact that I know I am unlikely to be paying off my mortgage for the rest of my life and paying exorbitant council tax. But I can understand how people find Redcliffe too sedate
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:55 am
Just Joined

PatchPoole is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Camacaze, I'm glad to hear your kids like Meridan, we are from New Zealand and are moving over in about 5 weeks, and are also going to look at Meridan, from what I've seen on the net, it looks quite good, but is hard to tell until you actually get there and have a look. Our oldest boy is also 6, and we also have a soon to be 5yr old, who will start Prep school there.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PatchPoole
Hi Camacaze, I'm glad to hear your kids like Meridan, we are from New Zealand and are moving over in about 5 weeks, and are also going to look at Meridan, from what I've seen on the net, it looks quite good, but is hard to tell until you actually get there and have a look. Our oldest boy is also 6, and we also have a soon to be 5yr old, who will start Prep school there.
hi, they'll love it here, a really friendly school. where abouts r u moving too?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:09 am
Just Joined

June Chapman is an unknown quantity at this point

We too live in Little Mountain not far from Camecaze off Springs Drive. My daughter goes to Meriden she's just gone into middle school 12 in a few weeks time. My son goes to Caloundra High in year 12 so will be leaving in November. When we first came here he went to Caloundra Christian College but sadly his results went downhill so we decided after the first year that we were wasting our money and put him into Caloundra High. I must say he's doing brilliantly i'm amazed at the change and he's so happy.
W ehave friends living in Casuarina and also Koala Crt just off Casuarina.
Can't comment on Redcliffe but we've been here 18 months and love it!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:13 am
Just Joined

We're not quite sure yet. We went for a holiday last year, and had decided on Buderim, which we really liked. But now think we may head Caloundra way (which we didn't get to visit), have been searching on the net, and I thought Little Mountain sounded nice, so we will arrive, and check the school out first, we might also look at Caloundra State School too, then we will have to decide where we are going to live. Meridan sounds so big lol, the school my 6yr old is at now, has only 138 kids. I'm sure it won't bother our boys though, kids are pretty adaptable. Meridan is fully air conditoned too isn't it? So I like the sound of that. We're just waiting for our house to go unconditional next week, and all going well we should be arriving around the 8th July.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Hi June, oh good, it sounds like there's a few on here that live in Little Mountain then. I'm interested to anything you can tell me about Meridan School, and the area you live in.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:01 am
Just Joined

June Chapman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PatchPoole
Hi June, oh good, it sounds like there's a few on here that live in Little Mountain then. I'm interested to anything you can tell me about Meridan School, and the area you live in.
When we activated our visa Aug 07 we were staying at Mooloolaba as our friends lived in Mountain Creek they were renting on Karawatha Dve and their kids went to Mountain Creek. We also had a freind whom had emigrated in June 06 and was living here in Little Mountain. At the time my friend in Mountain Creek didn't have nice things to say about Caloundra but I think she was listening to other people at work all Aussies who live Woombye, Palmwoods area. Anyhow all I can say is she now lives in Koala Crt, Little Mountain say la vie!
We have 5/6 beaches within 10 mins drive, Carbould Racecourse 5 mins up the road good family day on Sundays. Maroochydore Plaza for shopping larger outlets, Caloundra for local and shops there are ok pending what you are looking for. Plenty of places to eat out. RSL happy bus for those wanting a night out without having to drive bus picks you up from your door and young kids catered for in kids club. Both my kids love their schools Meriden adn Caloundra High. Work is a bit of an issue as there isn't too much locally unless your lucky most work is in Brisbane min 1hr journey more if work is southside.
We're happy and would be happier if OH could get permanent work, sadly he's only worked 6 months since we've been here and he's an electrician.
Anything else I can help with just ask.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:06 am
Just Joined

jwatson has a spectacular aura aboutjwatson has a spectacular aura aboutjwatson has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: redcliffe to caloundra

Hi everyone, another Kiwi here. My hubby is over there at the moment trying to find a rental in Little Mountain or somewhere similar to be in the Meridan School Zone. He's also on the search for a job, car etc. I am coming over with our 9 year old and 6 year old on 20 June, and would love any tips that you can give me in regards to setting up over there. We are arriving just before the school holidays, and my daughter is desperate to make some friends as soon as we arrive, so it would be nice to know where the locals play in the holidays!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.