Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recommendations of shippers from uk to wa please?

Recommendations of shippers from uk to wa please?

Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Smile Recommendations of shippers from uk to wa please?

Any advice,good reports or recommendations on shipping companies heading for oz from the u.k.?

Also,anything I need to bear in mind when considering who to enquire about?
Cheers,Lynn
Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Recommendations of shippers from uk to wa please?

We used Crown to come to Perth. They were pretty good and have used them before. A few things broke, but they are sorting those out now.

One thing to make sure you do when you get a quote is to include the insurance cost, and check the type of cover between companies - some include everything, some have options etc. The insurance cost tends to vary between companies that can affect their final quote quite a bit.

Get a few companies in to give you a quote. Interdean is also good.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:14 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we used Crown as well. I got loads of quotes from different sized companies - felt more comfortable with the larger ones tho. In the end we went with Crown as they have been recommended widely and I felt comfortable with their level of professionalism. They were more expensive at first, but dropped their price when I pointed out that other companies were quoting about £500 less. The packers were superb! The unpackers at the Perth end were a little too fast for my liking. Only one thing damaged from a full 20foot container. I would defo use them again.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Any advice,good reports or recommendations on shipping companies heading for oz from the u.k.?

Also,anything I need to bear in mind when considering who to enquire about?
Cheers,Lynn
WE used Crown. Great in UK but not so hot in Perth. We had one idiot unpacker. My advice- if you are unhappy with the unpackers call the office immediately and they should sort it out pronto. Thats the advantage of a big company.
Also Crown made a fuss of the kids with little kids packs but then forgot to bring the kids packing boxes as promised. The packers in the UK were very sweet to my daughter and let her help pack her cuddlies which made up for the lack of special boxes.

Good luck
Ali
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:48 am
Just Joined

mark1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

We sent a shipment from UK to Sydney with Anglo Pacific, everything arrived on time and in good condition but a couple of thing to look out for:

Firstly they overcharged us by 250 pounds and it wasn't until I queried this that they realised they had left the details from somebody elses shipment in their spreadsheet.

I would also recommend packing yourself or keeping a close eye on the company packers if you use them. I left them to it, only to discover on our arrival in Sydney that they didn't pack to make full use of the space. On one occasion they decided to use the largest box available but only half filled it with our things, the other half of the box was filled with a piece of wire wrapped in about 50 sheets of butchers paper! They also thought it was necessary to leave enough room for plenty of butchers paper on top of our duvet and towels, so they wouldn't get broken I guess. Not very good when you're paying for volume rather than weight.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Extremely helpful to hear the recomendations,but also the little tricks they can pull.
What would i see as a good price from the uk to perth?
What should i look out for in terms of insurance cost,as a good price?
Lynn
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using Doree Bonner, they came round to give us a quote this morning. We only have about 3 cu metres of stuff so are packing ourselves and their insurance is only 2.5% of value for replacement cover
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve,sorry to be off subject,but can i ask if you know why your visa app took nearly a year before the meds were requested?
Lynn

[

QUOTE=Steve&Clare]We are using Doree Bonner, they came round to give us a quote this morning. We only have about 3 cu metres of stuff so are packing ourselves and their insurance is only 2.5% of value for replacement cover[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Steve,sorry to be off subject,but can i ask if you know why your visa app took nearly a year before the meds were requested?
Lynn
yes, we applied before april when they opened the second visa application centre. Applications lodged after april 2004 have been processed very quickly but it took 12 months to work through the backlog of applications lodged early 2004
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:13 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you looked at John Mason. http://www.johnmason.com/int_home.html
They have an area where you can build your consignment to get an idea of the cost. You will need to add insurance on top.

We used John Mason and had no trouble with them at all. We paid GBP 2,657.00 to ship 560 cuft, they did the packing which I found just great it took all the stress out of the move (even if I did find the odd bit of junk when i unpacked in Perth). Insurance was GBP 2.75 for every GBP 100.00 insured.

Or you could try going to International Relocation Concultants (there service is free) they will come round to your house and get the details necessary to get a quote and send it to several companies for you (they have a list of recommended ones and if they are not up to standard they dont make the list). You can contact Brian Forkner on 01452 714932 or [email protected]

Good luck with the move

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:04 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

... we also used John Mason. A full 20 footer arrived last week in Perth. The cost was among the higher of the estimates that we had, but the quality of packing was excellent. As the previous poster said the John Mason packers were a wee bit overzealous and a few pairs of my shoes and a camcorder which I didn't intend shipping were packed, All arrived undamaged save a wee graze on the top of an electric piano. The Kents guys who unloaded/unpacked/built beds etc. at this end were superb.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

fab info,thanx a lot,keep it coming,
Lynn