Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MAPS!.............routes, distances and times...

MAPS!.............routes, distances and times...

Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:31 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MAPS!.............routes, distances and times...

Does anybody know if there is such as thing as a jourmey/destination type map, that will, if you put start point and destination, give you a distance and average time?!!............. I have found one on the our brisbane web site but it doesnt seem to be very good!! it keeps changing whatever address in!!! In uk we have AA maps that are very good, is there a similar in australia?

amanda
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MAPS!.............routes, distances and times...

Amanda,

May not be exactly what you are looking for but not bad.
It allows you to pick types of things you might be interested in en route.

http://www.nowwhereroute.com/travelm...est&SessionId=
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:41 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amanda76
Does anybody know if there is such as thing as a jourmey/destination type map, that will, if you put start point and destination, give you a distance and average time?!!............. I have found one on the our brisbane web site but it doesnt seem to be very good!! it keeps changing whatever address in!!! In uk we have AA maps that are very good, is there a similar in australia?

amanda
Hi Amanda

Give these a go....

http://www.multimap.com.au/

http://www.travelmate.com.au/MapMake..._Page=mapmaker

D D
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:42 am
Just Joined

tradingsnow4sun is on a distinguished road

amanda

I have used a good one on road trips...www.whereis.com.au

gives you point to point directions...

hopes this helps.

justin
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Bix
Amanda,

May not be exactly what you are looking for but not bad.
It allows you to pick types of things you might be interested in en route.

http://www.nowwhereroute.com/travelm...est&SessionId=

THIS WORKS IF YOU CLICK ON MAP MAKER, TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER, THANKS

AMANDA
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:52 am

THIS WORKS IF YOU CLICK ON MAP MAKER, TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER, THANKS

AMANDA

THANKS EVERYONE, SUPER JOB
AMANDA
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:23 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Or there is this travel planner from RACQ which one of my colleagues used to plan his trip from Brisbane down to Melbourne. He decided to follow its directions exactly and not look at a map - silly man. Early in the piece he was directed down Moggil Ferry road and thought he would be crossing the river over a bridge and would see a quaint old former ferry - he did not realise he would be sitting on the bank waiting for the ferry to carry him across.

Another important map is this one of National Toilets - essential if you have kids.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:33 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I just tested the RACQ travel planner to see how to get from Surfers' Paradise to Toowoomba.
It is quite detailed. I need to spend 12 seconds travelling on the Esplanade at Surfers, then turn right onto Hanlan Street for a further 26 seconds .....
you get the idea ....

2 hrs 43 (and 182.82 km) later I should be on Neil St Toowoomba.

It also warns me that "This route passes through a known flood location. Please click the image (left) or Ring (1300 130595) for details."

And checking the toilet map I can make use of facilities in Surfers in Raptis Plaza before my trip and go again in Toowoomba at the Neil Street car park.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:43 pm

Talking Re: MAPS!.............routes, distances and times...

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I just tested the RACQ travel planner to see how to get from Surfers' Paradise to Toowoomba.
It is quite detailed. I need to spend 12 seconds travelling on the Esplanade at Surfers, then turn right onto Hanlan Street for a further 26 seconds .....
you get the idea ....

It also warns me that "This route passes through a known flood location. Please click the image (left) or Ring (1300 130595) for details."

And checking the toilet map I can make use of facilities in Surfers in Raptis Plaza before my trip and go again in Toowoomba at the Neil Street car park.

Cheers,

DagBoy

i know, iv just looked too - but being a girly thats what i need!!!! No seriously thankyou, i can now see myself counting in seconds to the next turn, oh **** i missed a few numbers!!!
amanda
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:45 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to rec'd the planner on www.racq.com.au but I was beaten to it.... I would be careful of asking an Aussie the best "route" to a place though as it means something COMPLETELY different in Australia to what it does in UK.....
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I was going to rec'd the planner on www.racq.com.au but I was beaten to it.... I would be careful of asking an Aussie the best "route" to a place though as it means something COMPLETELY different in Australia to what it does in UK.....
oh, tell me more................

amanda
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:56 pm
Cheesy Member

amanda
Just be careful when planning your journey if you ask for advice down in certain parts of Fortitude Valley at night. You will discover that the best route, the tried and tested route, the shortest route, the new route, the old route and the cheapest route are 6 different girls

... Apparently.....

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

you get the idea ....

Cheers,

DagBoy
But how much time will you add to the trip by "paying a visit or two" ?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:18 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Just be careful when planning your journey if you ask for advice down in certain parts of Fortitude Valley at night. You will discover that the best route, the tried and tested route, the shortest route, the new route, the old route and the cheapest route are 6 different girls

... Apparently.....

Cheers,

DagBoy
Of course the home route is the only one you use
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:29 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

amanda
LOL well you won't believe it..... when you are talking about "rooting" in Aus it is pretty ex-rated! LOL

Don't make the mistake I did by telling someone I had lost it rooting through my drawers! LOL

Claire