Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

recommendations for mobile and IDD calls...?

recommendations for mobile and IDD calls...?

Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default recommendations for mobile and IDD calls...?

Spent the last few days trying to go through the plans for optus, telstra and have come up non the wiser.... any recommendations from those already there? Looking at them as they have the incentive of providing different services and giving you a discount?

Also given the high costs of calling internationally, any good recommendations for signing up for a worldwide international phone calls?

cuthere
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: recommendations for mobile and IDD calls...?

Originally posted by cuthere
Spent the last few days trying to go through the plans for optus, telstra and have come up non the wiser.... any recommendations from those already there? Looking at them as they have the incentive of providing different services and giving you a discount?

Also given the high costs of calling internationally, any good recommendations for signing up for a worldwide international phone calls?

cuthere
I am dubious about the value of the bundled deals as they seem to be higher priced service providers bring down their prices to normal levels.

For mobiles I recommend virgin mobile www.virginmobile.com.au . They seem to offer all round value, especially for pay as you go users. Virgin mobile use the optus network. For Broadband iinet internode and swiftdsl come with good recommendations. Check out www.whirlpool.net.au .

Someone else will have to come in with the good phone providers.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:48 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
I am dubious about the value of the bundled deals as they seem to be higher priced service providers bring down their prices to normal levels.

For mobiles I recommend virgin mobile www.virginmobile.com.au . They seem to offer all round value, especially for pay as you go users. Virgin mobile use the optus network. For Broadband iinet internode and swiftdsl come with good recommendations. Check out www.whirlpool.net.au .

Someone else will have to come in with the good phone providers.
I've been using Vodaphone since I got here (No Plans) which is 1c per second, like Virgin. Has a 20c flagfall. 1c per second adds up bloody quick, no matter which phone you're on! Vodaphone to UK is $3 for 10 minutes, with all plans, apparently. http://www.vodafone.com.au/foryou/services/idd.jsp Vodaphone mobile to vodaphone mobile is 20c, flat rate.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

We buy a Go Bananas phone card from the newsagent, and use this for all of our international phone calls.

At least we know exactly how much we are using on them and when we receive our Telstra bill it's not such a shock for us. (last bill was $50 and this included $20 whatever in rental).

Works for us.

We are on Internode Broadband and have no problems with them ($60.00 per month - 12gb download 512/128 something???)

Regards
Old Apr 14th 2004, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cuthere

cuthere
For international calls, phone cards provide some of the cheapest options (eg ~4 cents/min to standard UK tel connection) - get them from post offices, newsagents etc just make sure that you only need to dial a local telephone number to use it!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses....cuthere