Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NINE DAYS.....Surely the record??

NINE DAYS.....Surely the record??

Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:07 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default NINE DAYS.....Surely the record??

Just heard about a family (via friend of a friend) who, after spending two years planning and bringing about their move to Australia, lasted only NINE DAYS !!

Surely this is the record.......

I reckon even we will last a month or two.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NINE DAYS.....Surely the record??

Originally posted by chippy
Just heard about a family (via friend of a friend) who, after spending two years planning and bringing about their move to Australia, lasted only NINE DAYS !!

Any reasons? Was it their first trip?
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Does that include travel ?

9 days !!
Why ??
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:15 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

wow, even short holidays last longer!

Did they forget to pack their rose coloured specs?
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:19 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Yes it was their first trip. No this did not include the travel.

All I know is they had two kids, it was primarily the wife who instigated their return, and they have only just got back.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

9 days? Pretty good attempt. But, I think the record is still either 48 or 72 hours! Way back in ~1973, just before the end of the £10 migration fare, a couple were not impressed that a job didn't await them in Oz. They also whinged about the migrant accommodation - and ended up on TV news as they were about to depart Oz.

I wonder where they are now...
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:21 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Or the one about the Ten Pound Poms who dis-embarked in the morning in time for an Adelaide dust storm and re-embarked the same afternoon.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Or the one about the Ten Pound Poms who dis-embarked in the morning in time for an Adelaide dust storm and re-embarked the same afternoon.
Jeez - I stand corrected
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:24 am
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by MikeStanton
9 days? Pretty good attempt. But, I think the record is still either 48 or 72 hours! Way back in ~1973, just before the end of the £10 migration fare, a couple were not impressed that a job didn't await them in Oz. They also whinged about the migrant accommodation - and ended up on TV news as they were about to depart Oz.

I wonder where they are now...

I'm sorry Mike, but I think your example has got to be disqualified......It's has to be proper fare paying punters here, not ten-pound-poms.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm sorry Mike, but I think your example has got to be disqualified......It's has to be proper fare paying punters here, not ten-pound-poms.
Point taken! But, I think one of the constraints of the £10 fare was that if you returned to UK within ~2 years, you had to repay considerably more than £10!
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I did hear of a couple who landed in Melbourne, got a cab halfway to the city, but when they realised how far it was, and what the area around the airport looked like, they asked to be taken straight back.......flew home the same day.......:scared:
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:28 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Someone on here was once talking about a family who came of the plane, into the taxi, and they asked the taxi to turn around and back they went....
Well, something like this anyway.... I think it was Melbourne! ANd not that long ago.

I wonder if it really is true!!??!!

Thse things are truly unbelievable!!!!

Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:32 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, see, it was Pollyana (who knew the story).

I'm not sure anybody can actually verify it though...
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:36 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

hope they didnt sell their house!!!!!
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in our travel agent cancelling our Florida holiday as we are
coming to Oz instead. The lady there said her colleague had just
sold her car to a couple who had moved out to Oz (selling house
and everything) and they were now back having lasted a week!!!

If you go on a normal package tour, you've only just found the
nice restaurants/beaches/shops etc after a week.

I couldn't believe it, but obviously it isn't that unusual from what you say.

I just hope we last longer than that !!!!

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.