Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

recently moved to Oz with partner and suffering with anxiety

recently moved to Oz with partner and suffering with anxiety

Old May 17th 2011, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recently moved to Oz with partner and suffering with anxiety

It does get easier... especially when you are doing all the right things to helpyourself like you are
Old May 19th 2011, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by quoll
You might want to check out a CBT or ACT therapist for strategies to help you though th day. A good book with lots of strategies is The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris - at the end of the day though it will be down to you to use the strategies and manage the thinking.
Yep, Russ Harris is also great, he has based his methods on Claire Weekes, so again, especially for physical symptoms - TRY CLAIRE WEEKES!!!!!!! Seriously, download her audio files and you'll be fine after couple of hours of listening her! she just explains the whole deal and once you know what it is - you take away a fear factor and you don't get panicy anymore
Old May 21st 2011, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Rachie P will become famous soon enoughRachie P will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: recently moved to Oz with partner and suffering with anxiety

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
maybe also try this part of the forum as people usually place nights out in here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Good luck and hope you soon feel well again mate
thanks for the link ive found quite a few people living in my area.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by odyssey
perhaps it may work to join a gym too or a women only fitness group (not frequented by the bo-derek like of the population).

Fresh air I find is a real invigorator. You need society though and some social time for casual chatting and de-stress. I think missing mates is underestimated - its huge not having girlfriends to unwind with.

It will get better, I am sure. At least you are facing it and that means you are ready to move forward

good luck!
Thanks odessey i, have been out walking which seems to be the in thing in my area and ive been enjoying it. Im gonna contact some people who have kindly contacted myself and live very close by.
I am trying not to let this thing beat me but i cant seem to shake the phisical symptoms which make me feel sick and very unsocial.
Rach x
Old May 21st 2011, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks TiddlyPom, im trying to keep looking forward and im getting help from a profesional and my doc so hopefully with time im gonna beat this one.

thanks for the kind words
Rach x
Old May 21st 2011, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Ugh! Anxiety sucks.
Get help, take everything you can. I'm sorry I'm not closer to you otherwise I'd get together for a coffee... so I hope you feel better soon.

My only advice: Keep looking forward and never go back. Ever.

Someone said to me that in a year's time, things would be so different, I wouldn't recognize it.... it took a little over a year, but they were right.
So for you I wish less time, and more courage, and a little Zen in your life.
It WILL be ok.

x
Originally Posted by odyssey
perhaps it may work to join a gym too or a women only fitness group (not frequented by the bo-derek like of the population).

Fresh air I find is a real invigorator. You need society though and some social time for casual chatting and de-stress. I think missing mates is underestimated - its huge not having girlfriends to unwind with.

It will get better, I am sure. At least you are facing it and that means you are ready to move forward

good luck!
Originally Posted by eddie007
It does get easier... especially when you are doing all the right things to helpyourself like you are
Originally Posted by alexa7
Hi, i was in the same situation when we moved here last year and i still occasionally have bouts of anxiety. what really helped me is the book by Claire Weekes, she has several and any of them are good, but the one i read was Essential help for your nerves.
I felt like you-will i always be the same and never my old self etc but it WILL pass, it always does, it's just hard to accept uncertainty, moving away from your family, finding jobs etc. I challenge anyone to say they didn't experience similar anxiety while moving to a different country or even town. Honestly most of the people get it sometimes they just dont realise what it is.
There are many forums on this but i found it actually made it worse sometimes reading other stories unless they were succes stories...
So start with Claire Weekes (you can actually even find her mp3 series, it's her talking through main points in the book, you can google it and download and listen on your mp3)
Also try CBT technique called TEA forms, it's when you challange your negative thoughts, i found a good link to it here.
http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/...s/view/1478155

The main thing to remember-it's just temporary and it WILL pass, just accept everything like it is at the moment and don't fight it, cos it makes it worse, just live as you used to, at least try and dont shy away from it... Accept everything that comes with it and you will stop noticing it, cos the problem is not that only you are anxious and not everyone else, everyone else is also anxious, the problem is in your attitude/feelings towards being anxious, it bothers you while it doesnt bother other people they just live with it. so you're definitely not alone
ps. try NOT to take medication, you will have to get off it one day and it'll not be pretty. Try natural remedies like Sleep ezy pills etc first. but the main thing is to change the attitude, not pop pills
Thanks for the kind advice alexa7
I did try to take anti depressants for all of three days and they made me feel horrendous so i stopped taking them and went back on the beta blockers. I did feel much better on the beta blockers for about two weeks but have started to feel nausious again . I dont want to go on anti depressants until that is my last resort as they are nasty things to get on as i discovered for those three days ( which incidently was only half the dose cos i had to gently get myself used to them) I was worried that if it makes me that ill to get on them then what am i going to feel like trying to get off them.
I have only been to my psychologist once so at the moment she hasnt been that usefull but she has mentioned some cbt techniques and maybe some hypnotherepy.
I am trying to stay possitive and thanks to all you guys on this forum its nice to know i have people to talk to when im feeling down

Rachx
Old May 21st 2011, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

More a fan of natural remedy myself. So many folk are on medication of one sort or another in Australia.
It is quite a business and looks likely to become more so with the amount of money being spent on mental health going up.
Was shocked at how how many kids were being medicated when learnt about this some dozen years ago.

What can help is to get your doctor to get you a referral to a psychologist which will allow you to talk over issues.
Far better than becoming reliant on meds as a first port of call,although of course it has it's place but not as an initial solution,i believe.

Good luck.Take a day at a time.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your GP for a mental health care plan - no stigma attached - gives you access to clinical psychologist and other allied health professionals - with rebates from Medicare, making help much more accessible http://www.racgp.org.au/Content/Navi...ntalHealth.pdf
Old May 21st 2011, 9:06 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachie P
Thanks for the kind advice alexa7
I did try to take anti depressants for all of three days and they made me feel horrendous so i stopped taking them and went back on the beta blockers. I did feel much better on the beta blockers for about two weeks but have started to feel nausious again . I dont want to go on anti depressants until that is my last resort as they are nasty things to get on as i discovered for those three days ( which incidently was only half the dose cos i had to gently get myself used to them) I was worried that if it makes me that ill to get on them then what am i going to feel like trying to get off them.
I have only been to my psychologist once so at the moment she hasnt been that usefull but she has mentioned some cbt techniques and maybe some hypnotherepy.
I am trying to stay possitive and thanks to all you guys on this forum its nice to know i have people to talk to when im feeling down

Rachx
Hi Rach, I am a CBT therapist and it's the best approach for managing anxiety.
Remember anxiety is a normal human response and even though it can feel really awful - it isn't going to harm you.

Have a read of this leaflet on anxiety.

A good CBT book is Overcoming Anxiety by Helen Kennerley.
Also try this website www.livinglifetothefull.com

And remember....Keep calm and carry on
Old May 21st 2011, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough

I live in Morpeth and would be happy to meet up for a coffee at Greenhills sometime.

I can recommend a good psychologist in Raymond Terrace that's great with anxiety issues if you'd like her details - all you ned to do is ask your GP for a referral to her.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your problems since you moved here.

Anxiety has been a black cloud hanging over my head for pretty much my whole life, in my early 30's now and have suffered for pretty much as far back as I can remember. Much of my childhood was pretty awful because of this, always the one on my own stood in the corner wishing I wasn't me and I wasn't scared of doing things. The thought of talking in front of anyone was too much for me. Fo example going around a group and introducing yourself even for just a few lines would make my heart race, my mouth go dry, start to shake all over and by the time it reached me what would come out of my mouth would be more of a rushed high pitched squeek than anything, which I would get ripped apart about, which would result in me feeling even worse about myself. I avoided many situations, which is really bad as avoiding situations enforces the fear and makes it worse. This resulted in a pretty lonely childhood.

I got help from an excellent professional in my early 20's for my anxiety and whilst I still suffer it is more under control these days. Mediciation is only a temporary solution, you need to talk through your problems.

Anxiety usually comes down to faulty thinking patterns, you need to challenge any negative thoughts that come in to your head, look for evidence to either prove or disprove them and then ask yourself what benefit this thought will give you, if it is of no benefit to your wellbeing then discard it!. You need to stop and listen to your mind for as long as you can (not as easy as it sounds) and hear what automatic thoughts come in to your head, you often don't even realise you are thinking these things until you stop and listen!

I gave a presentation to a group at work about myself this week and the fact I did this gave me a real buzz, shows how far I have come with anxiety, still have some bad days mind, the fear is always there even about normal every day tasks many people take for granted.

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by Jon77; May 21st 2011 at 12:52 pm.
Old May 22nd 2011, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

carolinehumbugs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i have left u a PM just saw
this i do no how u feel been here 6 months and have had some ups and down but it gets better Ring me any time just in east maitland looking forward to meeting u Caroline
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Well done mate! Great to hear how far you have come. Excellent advice there for the OP and I am sure inspirational for others.

Originally Posted by Jon77
Sorry to hear about your problems since you moved here.

Anxiety has been a black cloud hanging over my head for pretty much my whole life, in my early 30's now and have suffered for pretty much as far back as I can remember. Much of my childhood was pretty awful because of this, always the one on my own stood in the corner wishing I wasn't me and I wasn't scared of doing things. The thought of talking in front of anyone was too much for me. Fo example going around a group and introducing yourself even for just a few lines would make my heart race, my mouth go dry, start to shake all over and by the time it reached me what would come out of my mouth would be more of a rushed high pitched squeek than anything, which I would get ripped apart about, which would result in me feeling even worse about myself. I avoided many situations, which is really bad as avoiding situations enforces the fear and makes it worse. This resulted in a pretty lonely childhood.

I got help from an excellent professional in my early 20's for my anxiety and whilst I still suffer it is more under control these days. Mediciation is only a temporary solution, you need to talk through your problems.

Anxiety usually comes down to faulty thinking patterns, you need to challenge any negative thoughts that come in to your head, look for evidence to either prove or disprove them and then ask yourself what benefit this thought will give you, if it is of no benefit to your wellbeing then discard it!. You need to stop and listen to your mind for as long as you can (not as easy as it sounds) and hear what automatic thoughts come in to your head, you often don't even realise you are thinking these things until you stop and listen!

I gave a presentation to a group at work about myself this week and the fact I did this gave me a real buzz, shows how far I have come with anxiety, still have some bad days mind, the fear is always there even about normal every day tasks many people take for granted.

GOOD LUCK