Reload this Page >

recently arrived in Perth

recently arrived in Perth

Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:07 am
Just Joined

life is great is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: recently arrived in Perth

Hi
We have been here nearly a year now. We absolutely love the place. We live in Ellenbrook, our son is happy we have good jobs not as well paid as in the UK but still good. It does get cold in the evenings so we bought a couple of hot water bottles and sometime we have to put an extra jumper on but it's not as cold as Yorkshire winters. House prices have shot up lots since we bought our house a year ago though. Wait til the spring, summer and autumn months, this will change your perspective when you can go down to Hillarys and have a coffe with just tshirts & shorts on at 9.00pm and have dips in the pool at midnight and lie on your back and watch the stars and satelites go by and then when you get out of the pool you don't shiver once, this is bliss.
Give it a fair chance like I said we love it here.
Regards
theresa
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:25 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulrachel
we have just recently arrived in Perth...and i have to say it is a disapointment so far!!! we have been here 3 months and although we have just bought a new house in Carramar we have payed over the odds!!! People bid above the asking price rather than below the asking price of a house..this ends up being a battlefield and you end up paying more than what the house is worth..I find the winter here as cold as UK..we are full of cold and with no central heating it feels like the Antartic in our house...I have 3 kids who hate the place..all they say is it's boring and theres nothing to do!!! i'm starting to agree with them..and to finish off on a good note our furniture arrived from the UK last week after 10 weeks of waiting for it...and it's mostly damaged...i must stress to anyone who is thinking about emigrating...don't use CROWN RELOCATIONS...they stole some of our furniture before it even arrived here...they have been the biggest problem of all.... Will things get better????
Give it 12 months, persevere, summer to come yet for you.
Hang in there...

Dave
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

Someone suggested to me that Beaumaris football club was a good place to get involved in, we've not got down there as our kid is only 3, but it's got a club house that always looks busy. 15 is a real tricky age, i don't really know of any youth clubs, and as a 15 year old I was mostly hanging around making a nuisance of myself so i don't really know what to suggest.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if some of this is to do with arriving at the start of Australian winter, nore than we realise.

It was one of my concerns (we arrived in March) as we would be so long without a summer - just coming out of the English winter, into the Australian summer., means we will have been without a summer for over a year by the time it starts here.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

we have just recently arrived in Perth...and i have to say it is a disapointment so far!!! we have been here 3 months and although we have just bought a new house in Carramar we have payed over the odds!!! People bid above the asking price rather than below the asking price of a house..this ends up being a battlefield and you end up paying more than what the house is worth..I find the winter here as cold as UK..we are full of cold and with no central heating it feels like the Antartic in our house...I have 3 kids who hate the place..all they say is it's boring and theres nothing to do!!! i'm starting to agree with them..and to finish off on a good note our furniture arrived from the UK last week after 10 weeks of waiting for it...and it's mostly damaged...i must stress to anyone who is thinking about emigrating...don't use CROWN RELOCATIONS...they stole some of our furniture before it even arrived here...they have been the biggest problem of all.... Will things get better????
The other thing to remember is - try not to make comparisons.

I know that it's difficult but just try to take the good things from your stay in Perth. I guarantee that if/when you go back to Leeds (I know Leeds well!) there will be some things about Perth that you will miss.

And do as I do - treat your time in Perth as a contract rather than a permanent move.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:47 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there we too are also in Carramar and our daughter goes to Carramar Primary. We have so far are enjoying our time here, Carramar is a lovely burb but it is quite.

Carramar Community centre has only recently opened but the is lots going on there including Karate for the kids. If you check out Wanneroo Times they have adverts for allsorts of stuff going on locally. Ask at the school they will be able to give you info on scorer and rugby clubs and the kids are always being sent home with leaflet for activities. Also Joondalup Arena has a very good sports program and a lovely leisure pool.

Finally… some of us girls meet up once a week at Hillarys at the Dome Café, 12pm on Thursday, its great for making friends and getting information on allsorts of things.

Sam (Worzels better half)

Last edited by thpinkpussycat; Jul 26th 2006 at 8:54 am.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sunbather
I wonder if some of this is to do with arriving at the start of Australian winter, nore than we realise.

It was one of my concerns (we arrived in March) as we would be so long without a summer - just coming out of the English winter, into the Australian summer., means we will have been without a summer for over a year by the time it starts here.
Lets face it, it's a huge part of the reason we all moved here, the sun, and when you come from an english winter to an aussie winter it must make it harder than doing it as we did from english summer/autumn to aussie spring.. But summer will soon be here, and it's worth the wait. Chin up to you all suffering winter blues!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:53 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=paulrachel]..I find the winter here as cold as UK..[QUOTE]

Do me a favour

Your now living the equivalent of an English January - ave. highs 6C, with less daylight hours, sharp frosts and a bare countryside with no colour anywhere.

Sorry you're not settling well and hope things improve - but please don't post misleading cr@p that could jeopardize some people's decisions.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lewis Lapthorn][QUOTE=paulrachel]..I find the winter here as cold as UK..

Do me a favour

Your now living the equivalent of an English January - ave. highs 6C, with less daylight hours, sharp frosts and a bare countryside with no colour anywhere.

Sorry you're not settling well and hope things improve - but please don't post misleading cr@p that could jeopardize some people's decisions.
Probably " A Perth winter night indoors is worse than a British winter night indoors" would be more accurate
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=NKSK version 2][QUOTE=Lewis Lapthorn]
..I find the winter here as cold as UK..

Probably " A Perth winter night indoors is worse than a British winter night indoors" would be more accurate
yes thankyou...thats what i mean...thats what it feels like...with people like that making rude remarks it makes you feel even more worse about being here...but i guess it's all about free speech...cheers pal..
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lewis Lapthorn][QUOTE=paulrachel]..I find the winter here as cold as UK..

Do me a favour

Its not misleading and think your statement is a little harsh. It really is cold in the houses here. I live in a normal australian house with no heating. Last week it dropped to 1 degree here in Perth in the evening and believe me it was cold, I sat in my living room with jim jams and a duvet. Imagine sitting in your cosy house in Peterborough on a winters evening with no central heating.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I've been colder than in my Perth house is when I was sleeping in a barn in Wales. Perth is unbelievebly cold in winter.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:24 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=paulrachel][QUOTE=NKSK version 2]
Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
yes thankyou...thats what i mean...thats what it feels like...with people like that making rude remarks it makes you feel even more worse about being here...but i guess it's all about free speech...cheers pal..
Didn't mean to cause offence mate. Really am sorry you're not settling. (by the way - I'm not a perthite yet unfortunately). So don't let my words make you feel any worse.

Just responding to the comment that you find the Perth winter as cold as the U.K. Posts like this always come on here from W.A. around this time, and for people looking at Perth, prodominantly for the better weather, these sorts of quips are not helpful.

If you're referring only to indoor temperatures at night, then I'd agree with you. But this is only because the houses there are built to keep the heat out. Which is why houses should have at least some form of heating. We were fine with a couple of plug in radiators and an extra sheet on the bed. Other houses obviously require more.

Hope things get better.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: recently arrived in Perth

Originally Posted by renth
The only time I've been colder than in my Perth house is when I was sleeping in a barn in Wales. Perth is unbelievebly cold in winter.
it sure is....but hey i will have to get used to it!! roll on summer...UK not doing too bad with the summer!! typical...thanks for all your replies...it's so good to hear about all your views..xx
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

For those cold winters here.

I recommend you get a convective wood burner heater installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.