Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recce without the kids?!?

Recce without the kids?!?

Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:16 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Recce without the kids?!?

I have been looking at the prices for flights, accomodation, car rental etc for a 3 week recce to Perth for myself, hubbie and 2 kids (4 and 2 years old) and it is expensive to us but I would be happier doing this, just for my own peace of mind. Then the hubbie suggest just the two of us going for a fortnight - this sounds great but I would really miss them, but I know it makes sense as we can just get on with things, go round the suburbs, find out hospitals, work for hubby etc without trying to keep the kids amused etc, they would be grand staying with the MIL and FIL (mafia sized family) so they would be happy. But then this could possibly validate our visas but would it also validate the kids visas or do we all have go to validate- this really is the main question, as if we all have to go then it's settled and I don't need to fret!!

I know someone will know the answer, and put paid to my hubby's idea of a holiday alone!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:55 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Recce without the kids?!?

Originally Posted by belleandscone
I have been looking at the prices for flights, accomodation, car rental etc for a 3 week recce to Perth for myself, hubbie and 2 kids (4 and 2 years old) and it is expensive to us but I would be happier doing this, just for my own peace of mind. Then the hubbie suggest just the two of us going for a fortnight - this sounds great but I would really miss them, but I know it makes sense as we can just get on with things, go round the suburbs, find out hospitals, work for hubby etc without trying to keep the kids amused etc, they would be grand staying with the MIL and FIL (mafia sized family) so they would be happy. But then this could possibly validate our visas but would it also validate the kids visas or do we all have go to validate- this really is the main question, as if we all have to go then it's settled and I don't need to fret!!

I know someone will know the answer, and put paid to my hubby's idea of a holiday alone!!!!
You all need to go to successfully validate all your visas.

Rich
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:00 pm

Forgot to say, we were hoping to go on our own but circumstances didn't permit this. Glad we took the kids though, they loved it, 8 & 5 years of age, don't know why we thought of going without them. We visited the schools etc.. and it gave them an insight.

Rich
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:16 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

We are going for a reccie later this year and hopefully will validate at same time. Think taking the kids is a good thing as they get a feel for what its like too. (We are also taking MIL to help look after them while we do a lot of running about). It is expensive, but worthwhile I hope!

Good luck!

J x
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

We took our three children 6, 4 and 18 months to Sydney for our recce. It was great for them to get an idea of what to expect. We didn't realise what they thought about it until we got there.

We had talked about it (Australia) and watched it on TV before we left, but a week or so prior to the trip our youngest daughter, Ella, aged four suddenly stated that she did not want to go - which we thought was odd.

We sort of brushed that aside and when we arrived in Sydney we stopped off at Kiribilli with views over the bridge, Opera House and city and Ella then said (word for word) "Daddy, I thought Australia was ALL desert and snakes but if this is Australia then I love it!".

We were gobsmaked!! and upset that she had been worried and we had not known.

We then had three great weeks as a family enjoying Sydney.

It goes to show that you do not know what goes on in their heads and what their fears and things are. Our flights were booked for night time and we went straight through - with a two hour or so break in KL - and had no problems with any of the children, they were great.

Now we are about to leave on the 24th January they know (sort of) what to expect and are more at ease about things than we are.

Just my opinion, but we are glad we had them with us.

Cameron
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:16 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cammym
We took our three children 6, 4 and 18 months to Sydney for our recce. It was great for them to get an idea of what to expect. We didn't realise what they thought about it until we got there.

We had talked about it (Australia) and watched it on TV before we left, but a week or so prior to the trip our youngest daughter, Ella, aged four suddenly stated that she did not want to go - which we thought was odd.

We sort of brushed that aside and when we arrived in Sydney we stopped off at Kiribilli with views over the bridge, Opera House and city and Ella then said (word for word) "Daddy, I thought Australia was ALL desert and snakes but if this is Australia then I love it!".

We were gobsmaked!! and upset that she had been worried and we had not known.

We then had three great weeks as a family enjoying Sydney.

It goes to show that you do not know what goes on in their heads and what their fears and things are. Our flights were booked for night time and we went straight through - with a two hour or so break in KL - and had no problems with any of the children, they were great.

Now we are about to leave on the 24th January they know (sort of) what to expect and are more at ease about things than we are.

Just my opinion, but we are glad we had them with us.

Cameron

For all I think it would be easier to do the recce without the kids I have to agree that it is important that they know what to expect and not to just drag them to a completely foreign place and expect them to be happy about it. I know our son and daughter will love the beach and hopefully nearly everything australia has to offer, and I think it would be good a have a holiday first in our prospective new home.

Good luck on the 24th. I can't wait till it's us - first we have to get the meds and pcc's but here's hoping!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:17 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by rossifumi
You all need to go to successfully validate all your visas.

Rich

Thanks for your reply - that's it settled, we are all going on a big holiday.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Thanks for your reply - that's it settled, we are all going on a big holiday.
Have a great time.

Rich
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Karen and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really nice

Hi guys, our kids are 5 and 3 and last year we took them on the reccie to Perth, we all had a great holiday and maybe didn't do as much reccie as we should have but it has meant the kids have been happy to talk about "When we move to Australia...." for the whole year, so they are excited and not scared.
Good Luck
Karen
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:20 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by Karen and Iain
Hi guys, our kids are 5 and 3 and last year we took them on the reccie to Perth, we all had a great holiday and maybe didn't do as much reccie as we should have but it has meant the kids have been happy to talk about "When we move to Australia...." for the whole year, so they are excited and not scared.
Good Luck
Karen
Thanks for your reply. Our son understands that we are going to Perth when he is 5 and knows the pictures etc of perth metro and the beaches and seems happy enough but seeing the real thing would be a million times better for him, our daughter on the other hand would go anywhere and it wouldn't knock her up nor down.

I think it would be great to just have a holiday and to prepare ourselves for the move when it comes.

I just hope they all like it!! Our son however like's to squeesh spiders in the garden with his hands (disgusting I know but he's a boy) I just hope he doesn't do it over there!!!! :scared: Medicare here we come!!