Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reasons NOT to move to Australia

Reasons NOT to move to Australia

Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:41 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons NOT to move to Australia

Originally Posted by spartacus
cos its crap . . .
Oh sit on the fence why dont you
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Zambia
Believe me when I tell you after a few months you get used to the sun and you have just moved house with a lot of costs. No one should move on the grounds of weather alone
Or they could believe some others who love it here only because of the weather ?

It's actually an impossible question to answer, as one persons positives can easily be anothers negatives.

Personally if everything else but the weather was exactly the same, i'd follow the good weather.

For me that would be Australia, but again, for someone else that could just as easily be the UK.

Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

drought.floods,bushfires,heat,spiders,sharks,snake s,rednecks,perochialism,distance,cost of flights,media,culture,water,remoteness,crime,binge drinking,junk food,education,healthcare..........
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Because one or more of you don't want to.
Because you're joined at the hip with your family and can't imagine going a day without seeing them in person.
Because you can't afford to.
Because you have a brilliant, safe, reliable job where you are.
Because you like it cold and wet for half the year.

Seriously, one man's negative is another man's positive. No one can tell YOU why you shouldn't or even why you should other than to say 'if you don't try you will always wonder'.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in Australi for a long time in Adelaide and there was no Brits in Adelaide or the like when I fisrt came here.....as a kid it was natural to believe that the time may come where I would somehow fit into the regime but it didnt happen, Im not blaming anyone but thats the truth. I think Brits are no diferent to any other group, if you want to survive you need a club to hang around at and a 'go to' person. Brits are discouraged from this but I think its nigh on imposible to try and 'fit in' as your accent and humour will give you away everytime. "No big deal" some would say but I beg to differ.
Cant type coz Im pissed.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by papilon
drought.floods,bushfires,heat,spiders,sharks,snake s,rednecks,perochialism,distance,cost of flights,media,culture,water,remoteness,crime,binge drinking,junk food,education,healthcare..........
Slightly tongue in cheek reply here...

I've taken one off your list (spiders) but left the rest...
  • drought, (UK have them too)
  • floods, (UK have them too)
  • heat, (that's a positive for me, a summer that rarely exceeds 32 and never below 20, can't be bad)
  • sharks, (Aug 2003 ... A large shark was seen feeding yards from the English coast) Those missing swimmers may not have just drowned!
  • snakes, (from personal experience, the Uk was worse for me, for snakes)
  • rednecks, (The British should cover their necks to avoid getting sunburnt on the neck)
  • perochialism, (trying to find a dictionary)
  • distance, (It's a long way from the UK to Asia)
  • cost of flights, (It's quite expensive to fly UK to Asia)
  • media, (Media the world over is pretty similar)
  • culture, (Aboriginal culture is very old)
  • water (No problem with water where we are)
  • remoteness, (Not very remote here)
  • crime, (Pretty much the same everywhere, but some location more than others, as in the UK probably)
  • bingedrinking, (Has that not hit the UK at all, hang on I was doing that there in the 70's)
  • junk food, (No Macca's in the UK ? )
  • education, (Yes, we have that in Australia, and by aged 18, the end result is pretty similar to the UK)
  • healthcare (My personal opinion is that the Australian system is better)
Getting back to spiders... I had more spiders in my UK house than I have here, however, in the UK I never had an annual pest control done !

Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
asking this question will only lead to a slanging match between
the its shit in Au and its pefect in Au members

Well Said
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:12 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
cos its crap . . .
or some immigrants attitude to the new country that has welcomed them in- IS CRAP!!!

some people just whinge wherever they go...you even see it in england where people are handed everything on a platter, and all they do is complain ....
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:22 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Slightly tongue in cheek reply here...

I've taken one off your list (spiders) but left the rest...
  • drought, (UK have them too)
  • floods, (UK have them too)
  • heat, (that's a positive for me, a summer that rarely exceeds 32 and never below 20, can't be bad)
  • sharks, (Aug 2003 ... A large shark was seen feeding yards from the English coast) Those missing swimmers may not have just drowned!
  • snakes, (from personal experience, the Uk was worse for me, for snakes)
  • rednecks, (The British should cover their necks to avoid getting sunburnt on the neck)
  • perochialism, (trying to find a dictionary)
  • distance, (It's a long way from the UK to Asia)
  • cost of flights, (It's quite expensive to fly UK to Asia)
  • media, (Media the world over is pretty similar)
  • culture, (Aboriginal culture is very old)
  • water (No problem with water where we are)
  • remoteness, (Not very remote here)
  • crime, (Pretty much the same everywhere, but some location more than others, as in the UK probably)
  • bingedrinking, (Has that not hit the UK at all, hang on I was doing that there in the 70's)
  • junk food, (No Macca's in the UK ? )
  • education, (Yes, we have that in Australia, and by aged 18, the end result is pretty similar to the UK)
  • healthcare (My personal opinion is that the Australian system is better)
Getting back to spiders... I had more spiders in my UK house than I have here, however, in the UK I never had an annual pest control done !
Alot of those things like the heat in summer, remoteness, droughts, floods, crime and rednecks depend on where abouts in OZ you live many places in OZ those things don't apply or are not serious problems. Regarding snakes, spiders ,sharks, its a non-issue in my opinion your 1,000 times more likely to be killed in a car crash and healthcare and education is a matter of opinon some say its better in OZ some say its worse.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:44 am
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Ok guys, all I wanted to know was the disadvantages (in any situation) as I want to move to the US.

Is it true it is really expensive in Aus?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Robw4
Ok guys, all I wanted to know was the disadvantages (in any situation) as I want to move to the US.

mmm, yes and no, it varies... that's another can of worms.

Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:52 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robw4

for me? none.

no
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about

You would have had a long list if your thread was "Reasons NOT to stay in the UK"
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laguna33p
You would have had a long list if your thread was "Reasons NOT to stay in the UK"
or "reasons NOT to stay in Australia"
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
or "reasons NOT to stay in Australia"
True, here is my list;

1-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.