Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

reasons for going

reasons for going

Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasons for going

Melbourne is not boring and everything stays open late shops are open every day supermarkets 6 am to midnight and some are open 24 hours. My daughter gets home with the dawn from clubs.

There are social problems here, graffiti which gets removed and replaced all the time if only they would stop selling spray cans.

I am not a fan of sterile communities so good and bad together is ok. Cross section of age is a must for us too.

I do know though when we go overseas and we come back I am so pleased to get back I could not live in Europe or the UK again. I know there are 3 million people in Melbourne but it does not feel as crowded as Europe and the UK.

Also Aussies let the polies know what they don't like and as we voting in compulsory people do tend to take an interest.

I am surprised more people do not migrate to Melbourne as its by far the most cosmopolitan city and we were the first State to have pubs open late and seven day shopping etc. Of course we do have cool winters it being a temperate climate here.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
The best example I can think of though is the New South Wales South Coast. (Where I have holidayed on and off since I was tiny.)
In the southern part – anywhere from Bateman’s Bay down – the people are ridiculously friendly. They will stop to say hi when you pass, and you’ll get smiles from strangers left right and centre. Most of the visitors are from Canberra.
However, in the northern part – where most of the visitors are from Sydney – people will look in the opposite direction when you walk past, and will pretend you don’t exist when they’re near you on the beach.
Generalise much?

<--- lived in Shoalhaven Heads for two and a half years now ...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Do I give off a "sad and lonely" vibe, 'cos tons of people talk to me?

(Or do I give off a friendly vibe and make an effort to talk to people myself? Hmmmm...)
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Do I give off a "sad and lonely" vibe, 'cos tons of people talk to me?

(Or do I give off a friendly vibe and make an effort to talk to people myself? Hmmmm...)
It's your cologne.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:15 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well that would explain the flies.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:33 am
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some may say Perth is more than just a bit boring.....Really not a lot here for teens to do.....Looking towards Melbourne also.
If set up in UK would not come to OZ for the reasons given.Big changes are at hand here noone can say what Australia will look like in 15 years...Quite probably with a massive social divide along with all the problems that brings.
Maybe that is why there is so much trouble with kids over here drinking and making trouble....Boredom....why don't the kids of third world Countries cause trouble .....because they have to work to survive.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

must point out I am to racist. Yes I dont like all the Afgans, Iraqi's and Africans flooding into the UK. Because they are mostly not prepared to work for the greater good and abide by our laws. Yet I actually admire the Poles I have met. They have come to work and make an effort to be a productive part of the country.
That may be a bit of a broad brush and there is nothing wrong with anyone wanting be better there lot. But in the UK we seem to be letting in to many people who are not prepared to make an effort or expect the UK to change to suit them, which our timid pc governments are allowing. When these people breed on mass, the next generation here will be worse and the social attitudes more lax.
I just always thought that Aus people were more straight talking and acting. You will always get corruption with politics and politiciations will always be thinking about their own succession as much as doing good for the people.

Like I said I used to think of making fun of people leaving the mighty UK for the penal colony. But then more and more people I knew / came across have left for Aus. Customers, Suppliers, Neighbour, guy selling car / plane I looked at. Got me thinking and looking.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
must point out I am to racist. Yes I dont like all the Afgans, Iraqi's and Africans flooding into the UK. Because they are mostly not prepared to work for the greater good and abide by our laws.
Then I think you may have a problem living in Australia. There are 10's of thousands of Afgans, Iraqis and Africans flooding into Australia.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Then I think you may have a problem living in Australia. There are 10's of thousands of Afgans, Iraqis and Africans flooding into Australia.
The Daily Mail does not report that though Dorothy.

There are no 'foreigners' in Australia
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
The Daily Mail does not report that though Dorothy.

There are no 'foreigners' in Australia
No there aren't. And the sun shines every day, the temperature is a constant 25, nobody has to work, children can run and play freely without parents worrying about them, there's no crime and houses are amost being given away.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
houses are amost being given away.
They probably will be soon the way things are going
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

must point out I am to racist. Yes I dont like all the Afgans, Iraqi's and Africans flooding into the UK. Because they are mostly not prepared to work for the greater good and abide by our laws. Yet I actually admire the Poles I have met. They have come to work and make an effort to be a productive part of the country.
That may be a bit of a broad brush and there is nothing wrong with anyone wanting be better there lot. But in the UK we seem to be letting in to many people who are not prepared to make an effort or expect the UK to change to suit them, which our timid pc governments are allowing. When these people breed on mass, the next generation here will be worse and the social attitudes more lax.
I just always thought that Aus people were more straight talking and acting. You will always get corruption with politics and politiciations will always be thinking about their own succession as much as doing good for the people.

Like I said I used to think of making fun of people leaving the mighty UK for the penal colony. But then more and more people I knew / came across have left for Aus. Customers, Suppliers, Neighbour, guy selling car / plane I looked at. Got me thinking and looking.
You're first post on this thread had me believing you were a somewhat intelligent man; you own your own business and seem to have a nice life.

I hope if ever you do make it Australia AS AN IMMIGRANT you don't experience the kind of racism you so willingly infilict on others...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

I'll take the sunshine coast over the North of England anytime! Lived in Sydney twice previously and not for me anymore but love the QLD lifestyle so Mooloolaba area here we come!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Sounds like you have made up your mind then, so come over, give it a try.

I think the immigrants in Aus out number the locals now, so infact it's not that different to the UK. Keep that in mind. More immigrants every year adds up to same issues you have in UK.
But you will definately be warmer
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I hope if ever you do make it Australia AS AN IMMIGRANT you don't experience the kind of racism you so willingly infilict on others...
He won't be an immigrant though.

Only foreigners (especially dark skinned ones) are 'immigrants'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.