Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

reasons for going

reasons for going

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice
Red face reasons for going

Just looking for a reallity check for my reasons for wanting to move to Melbourne.
Living is Hampshire, own a business, reasonable house, wife and 2 little kids. Earn enough, never go without etc.

But this past year or so have been getting increasingly worried about the future direction on this country and what my kids will face in adult life in 14-16 years time. I really feel this country is changing due to, weak government / europe / scale and quality of imigrants.

We seem to have eroded our social standards over the past generation on our own, but is seems can only get worse and it would take a policital sea change and at least another generation to turn the tide. But being British we just not dymanic enough for change.

I worry my children will face a country of deminishing opertunity, social / religious inbalance and a less fair deal.

Is it for this reason I have become struck with Australia. I once ribbed a friend who moved out there and would constantly taunt him that he was off to the penal colony. Now I find my self seeking a better future for my kids in Aus.

I'm not worried about money, weather or owning a big house with a pool. Yes from a business point of view it would seem like a land of opertunity from my research, so I'm not worried about earning.

Does Aus really offer something for the family that is going from UK. Or does it come down to personal opinion. ???

Last edited by MUST LEAVE UK; Nov 3rd 2008 at 5:35 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:28 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice
Default Re: reasons for going

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
Just looking for a reallity check for my reasons for wanting to move to Melbourne.
Living is Hampshire, own a business, reasonable house, wife and 2 little kids. Earn enough, never go without etc.

But this past year or so have been getting increasingly worried about the future direction on this country and what my kids will face in adult life in 14-16 years time. I really feel this county is changing due to, weak government / europe / scale and quality of imigrants.

We seem to have eroded our social standards over the past generation on our own, but is seems can only get worse and it would take a policital sea change and at least another generation to turn the tide. But being British we just not dymanic enough for change.

I worry my children will face a country of deminishing opertunity, social / religious inbalance and a less fair deal.

Is it for this reason I have become struck with Australia. I once ribbed a friend who moved out there and would constantly taunt him that he was off to the penal colony. Now I find my self seeking a better future for my kids in Aus.

I'm not worried about money, weather or owning a big house with a pool. Yes from a business point of view it would seem like a land of opertunity from my research, so I'm not worried about earning.

Does Aus really offer something for the family that is going from UK. Or does it come down to personal opinion. ???
If you are trying to escape anti-social behavior and crime forget it....Oz has the same problems as the UK with kids drinking and taking drugs, I live in Northbridge Perth and witness the same problems as I did in London...I do not know Melbourne but find Perth a bit boring with not much to do after 6 as everthing closes so early...plenty of hoons to watch burning rubber though

Last edited by earlswoody; Nov 3rd 2008 at 5:30 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by earlswoody
If you are trying to escape anti-social behavior and crime forget it....Oz has the same problems as the UK with kids drinking and taking drugs, I live in Northbridge Perth and witness the same problems as I did in London...I do not know Melbourne but find Perth a bit boring with not much to do after 6 as everthing closes so early...plenty of hoons to watch burning rubber though
sigh.... this is my worry regarding Perth!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:25 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Originally Posted by ChocCake
sigh.... this is my worry regarding Perth!
Just research the best places in Perth and yo will be OK, Australia is the same as the UK good and bad places to live, I can only afford to live in a rough part of Oz.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Just research the best places in Perth and yo will be OK, Australia is the same as the UK good and bad places to live, I can only afford to live in a rough part of Oz.
LOL not the bit about good/bad.. but the BORING bit..
Reason I'm leaving is because I'm bored! I guess the weather doesn't help much, as we're cooped up inside most of the year
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:11 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

in my opinion aus is what the uk was say 20 odd years ago, no its not perfect and there are many things that i would like to see happen or change, but from a purly family / social point of view a think its excellent, people still talk to each other and families still go out together,
its quite common to go down to the beach or a park on the weekend and see mums dads kids granny grandad etc all sat around on their fold up chairs all having lunch / barbie / swim / a game of cricket together which i think sadly has been lost in the UK,

an example that ive quoted before
we had untill we emergrated a caravan in the lakes and 20 odd years ago you could walk around the hills in the lake district and almost every one you passed would say morning its looking wet or whatever and pass the time of day with you, in more recent years almost every one you pass puts their head down and dosnt want make eye contact and if you do say morning they look at you like youve just taken a dump in the middle of the path, ???

what happend to the UK i honestly dont know the answer
but i do know that most aussies will take the time to say hallo and once they hear the pommie accent they want to know more / where your from / what do you do etc which takes a little time to get use to but i do find refreshing

well thas my opinion

regards steve
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

thanks steve, thats more or less what I was thinking. I would never expect anywhere on earth to be utopia. Just looking for genuine better future prospects for my kids.
Like I said we live in the South of UK and crime is low. But in my short 33 years I have noticed the change is attitudes.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocCake
LOL not the bit about good/bad.. but the BORING bit..
Reason I'm leaving is because I'm bored! I guess the weather doesn't help much, as we're cooped up inside most of the year
Frigging hell If you are bored in the UK do not step foot in Perth mate.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

thanks steve, thats more or less what I was thinking. I would never expect anywhere on earth to be utopia. Just looking for genuine better future prospects for my kids.
Like I said we live in the South of UK and crime is low. But in my short 33 years I have noticed the change is attitudes.
Hi,

We are in Ireland and like you are looking for a better future for our children. This country is not the same place I grew up in and unfortunately I can't see it getting any better. I do not want to be rich (although that would be nice!), all I want is a place were we can be a family and do things together and were the sun shines......My children are really looking forward to it. We got our 175 visa in July and hope to be in Brisbane/Sunshine Coast early next year. Best of luck with in decision
Helena
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:11 pm
Banned

I find Australian people quite offish and why do they never seem to smile much, when I lived in the UK and worked around the Country people always had time to talk to you about football the weather etc especially the Northern folk, over here people are quite materialistic and never seem to have the time for you especially if you are a Pom.
Just what I have found. Might just have been unlucky.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

We are on the gold coast, have been here about 15 months, and haven't looked back. It is everything we wished for, and more to be honest.
lots to do, never bored for a minute.. people are friendly, life style fairly laid back.. We have friends here from Uk and South Africa and most of us are really happy living here. Haven't been to Perth, so can't comment.
Emigrating is a personal thing, some people embrace the changes, others battle.. Good luck.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:14 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I find Australian people quite offish and why do they never seem to smile much, when I lived in the UK and worked around the Country people always had time to talk to you about football the weather etc especially the Northern folk, over here people are quite materialistic and never seem to have the time for you especially if you are a Pom.
Just what I have found. Might just have been unlucky.
i think you should also point out that youve decided au isnt for you and your going home, and that this might ever so slightly make your posts biased
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steve`o
i think you should also point out that youve decided au isnt for you and your going home, and that this might ever so slightly make your posts biased
Not at all, when I came here I came with an open mind and after 2 years have come to that opinion, you could say your opinion is also slightly biased as Oz is for you.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

why do I get the impression that people on these forums have something against Perth.

Anyway, it's Melbourne for me due to business reasons. Plus I like the look of the Basin area or the Mornington pen.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:43 pm
Banned

why do I get the impression that people on these forums have something against Perth.

Anyway, it's Melbourne for me due to business reasons. Plus I like the look of the Basin area or the Mornington pen.

How long have you got

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.