Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

reasons for coming to Australia

reasons for coming to Australia

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice
Default reasons for coming to Australia

Just been reading through the forums and one thing that struck me is that most people say the main reason they are coming to Oz is to "give the kids a better chance in life" ....seems some things never change...I used the same reason back in 1987 when myself and the now ex hubby bought our then 10 year old son and then 12 year old daughter over here away from family and friends.
They found it hard to settle ...daughter had had a year at secondary school in the UK and had to go back to "baby school" (her words) here in Queensland.....did not go down well I can tell you, became a rebellious little horror.
Son who we thought would settle quickly as he was a very outgoing kid became almost a recluse, never wanting to go out and hating school with a vengence, playing up at every opportunity...He had been a model pupil in the UK.
Anyway persevered and even moved son to a smaller school but took a long time for him to settle....
So did we do the right thing and give them a better life ???
They both hated sport with a vengence although they tried to fit in because this is a sport orientated country and tried numerous differant types of activities.
They both finished grade 12 and got senior certificates ...neither wanted uni to be an option. They both got into the work force and did well. Son joined Aussie army did the stint and came out asap.
Anyway to cut a long story short and answer my own question was it a good move for my children...who can say they had a traumatic time for quite a few years adapting and fitting in with the Aussies.......and they really did put big effort into it and try.
Outcome is that they are both now living very happily back in the UK. Daughter now owns 3 houses in the Edinburgh area and is the happiest she has ever been with lots of good friends in Scotland.
Son is now serving with the British Navy and happy as a pig in sh*t as they say.....back in a world where they no longer feel differant and where they feel accepted......and both feel that friendships in UK have more substance and meaning.
But they do now have the option of both countries as they have dual passports so I achieved that much for them at least.
Sorry bout the long post but just found it interesting that kids are one of the main reasons for the move.....
Good luck to you all........
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:18 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: reasons for coming to Australia

Originally Posted by bithbheo
Just been reading through the forums and one thing that struck me is that most people say the main reason they are coming to Oz is to "give the kids a better chance in life" ....seems some things never change...I used the same reason back in 1987 when myself and the now ex hubby bought our then 10 year old son and then 12 year old daughter over here away from family and friends.
They found it hard to settle ...daughter had had a year at secondary school in the UK and had to go back to "baby school" (her words) here in Queensland.....did not go down well I can tell you, became a rebellious little horror.
Son who we thought would settle quickly as he was a very outgoing kid became almost a recluse, never wanting to go out and hating school with a vengence, playing up at every opportunity...He had been a model pupil in the UK.
Anyway persevered and even moved son to a smaller school but took a long time for him to settle....
They both hated sport with a vengence although they tried to fit in because this is a sport orientated country and tried numerous differant types of activities.
They both finished grade 12 and got senior certificates ...neither wanted uni to be an option. They both got into the work force and did well. Son joined Aussie army did the stint and came out asap.
Anyway to cut a long story short and answer my own question was it a good move for my children...who can say they had a traumatic time for quite a few years adapting and fitting in with the Aussies.......and they really did put big effort into it and try.
Outcome is that they are both now living very happily back in the UK. Daughter now owns 3 houses in the Edinburgh area and is the happiest she has ever been with lots of good friends in Scotland.
Son is now serving with the British Navy and happy as a pig in sh*t as they say.....back in a world where they no longer feel differant and where they feel accepted......and both feel that friendships in UK have more substance and meaning.
But they do now have the option of both countries as they have dual passports so I achieved that much for them at least.
Sorry bout the long post but just found it interesting that kids are one of the main reasons for the move.....
We came because we got the chance. OH was offered a job in Brissy, but we ended up in Perth because family were already here. Our kids didn't want to come, but they had no say in the matter and here we are. They have struggled too (except youngest who is 9)..daughter went back to UK after 18 months, she is 16.
We have decided to move back to UK as our plans didn't turn out as expected. We loved over East as Perth isn't for us, but for now the best thing is to take our kids back where they were happiest. Then it's up to them when they get older where they want to live.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

We all do what we think is right at the time and as quoted you have given your kids the oportunity to experience living in 2 different environments and they can now choose either for themselves.... congratulations!!!

Just out of curiosity, did you return to the UK or stay put?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Just been reading through the forums and one thing that struck me is that most people say the main reason they are coming to Oz is to "give the kids a better chance in life" .....
In other words - kids are just like adults - some settle here and like it - others never do and hate it. Go figure.

The bottom line though - is that you have absolutely no idea how their lives would have tracked out had you kept the family in the UK. Yes, they might have passed through the British educational system untarnished and gone on to secure good jobs. Alternatively they might have gone off the rails, got into drugs and pissed their early lives away. You just don't know. By bringing them here you may have given them a spirit of independence and motivation that enabled your daughter to become a budding property developer and your son to do well in the armed forces.

Looking backing and thinking 'what if' is not only pointless, it's destructive too.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

We came here because DH had a scholarship to do further study and we just sort of stayed here. We didnt come for the kids' sakes, we would have been perfectly happy to have raised them in UK. One son born in UK came at 6 months of age and the other was born here. The eldest has now returned to UK and joined the British Army - he didnt mean to go, he just went for a GAP year but has been there 6 years now and done a stint at Scotland Yard as a civvie and as a special with the met. Looks like he is staying! The youngest one bought a one way ticket in the midst of his uni course, stayed 7 months and vows never to leave Aus again - he and his partner and daughter live a self sufficient life out in the Gippsland wilderness area.

I compare what my kids are doing with what my UK friends' kids are doing and quite frankly there is little to choose between them. I dont think that raising them here was a magic answer - they could as equally have gone off the rails here as there, they could have equally followed a professional career here as they do there. Perhaps DS2 wouldnt have got the self sufficiency bug quite so bad had he been raised in UK and that would have been (IMHO) a better outcome but he is happy doing what he is doing. I dont think either of them is more resilient or adventurous from growing up here - my friends' kids have had equally interesting adventures in their lives too.

I think it is the parenting rather than the place which keeps kids on track and committed parents will ensure that their kids get all the opportunities that life offers. Place irrelevant.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:28 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I hear your perspective and agree the reason was to bring the kids and give a better lifestyle, however as an adult it was the adventure and the opportunity to live in a different country with a different lifestyle.

We after one eyar have all settled really well and have adapted to the Australian way of life with great enthusiasm.

This I belive was the making off us here.

If we tried to br british in Australia I can understand why it wouldn't work.

My kids are sporty and we all love the outdoors, so it worked for us!

But hey each to their own !
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
In other words - kids are just like adults - some settle here and like it - others never do and hate it. Go figure.

The bottom line though - is that you have absolutely no idea how their lives would have tracked out had you kept the family in the UK. Yes, they might have passed through the British educational system untarnished and gone on to secure good jobs. Alternatively they might have gone off the rails, got into drugs and pissed their early lives away. You just don't know. By bringing them here you may have given them a spirit of independence and motivation that enabled your daughter to become a budding property developer and your son to do well in the armed forces.

Looking backing and thinking 'what if' is not only pointless, it's destructive too.
Agreed.

There is a lot of 'doing it for the kids' but you tend to hear that from people who believe they need to justify their move, regardless of whether they believe it or not. It's somehow not enough to say that you want to experience something new. My girls 'appear' happier, healthier etc here but whether that's fact or not I have no idea.