Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to stay when visiting the Barrier Reef?

Where to stay when visiting the Barrier Reef?

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:08 am
Just Joined

jan63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to stay when visiting the Barrier Reef?

Can anyone recommend a good hotel when visiting the barrier reef? Are you better to stay in Cairns or not?

Thanks Jan
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:01 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to stay when visiting the Barrier Reef?

Cairns is the main base for GBR trips with lots on offer (live aboard, day trip diving, just snorkelling, island options or pontoons...) but you can also acces the reef from Port Douglas, Townsville and the Whitsundays etc. I suppose it depends what your after, serious diving or snorkelling with kids.

Plenty of hotels to suit all budgets I've found wotif.com to be a good site for finding bargains.

Last edited by wannabauzzienurse; Jun 22nd 2008 at 12:04 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

jamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nice

hi we went to the reef 2 weeks ago and stopped in cairns in a good hotel, but if we went again i would stop in port douglas it looks a lot nicer and is closer to the reef.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

We're just a few weeks back from Reef too ... we booked through Voyages.com.au and I'd recommend them (we travelled with 7 and 5 yr old) and stayed on an island which we loved. Gave us the whole experience. Before booking I spent ages on Trip Advisor checking out the options, of course taking a lot of the whinging with a pinch of salt (as I do on here too!!)

Have fun, snorkelling the reef holding my 5 yr old sons hand was an amazing experience that brings me to tears everytime I remember it! Its worth going, I tell you!