Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really confused......

Really confused......

Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Johnny DT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Really confused......

Ok, here we go. I am 30 years old and married, with a beautiful baby boy who is only 6 months old. My parents are divorced and my mum lives in England, while my Dad lives in Perth Australia. We have a great life in England - myself and partner earn a good wage and have flexible working (Quantity Surveyor and Nurse).

However in the back of our heads we are thinking that life could be better in Oz. We could get permanent residency as I qualify for the 140 points. On paper Perth sounds a great place to bring up a family, but we are worried about the usual issues and in particular finding jobs that match our great jobs in England, crime and the isolation of Perth (we would really have to choose Perth as we would want to live near my Dad). The good thing is that in terms of missing family there is no real change as no matter what I won't live in the same country as 1 of my parents.

We have a 3 week visit booked in January, but I'm worried that this won't really answer our concerns.

Sorry for the long post, but I would really just like to hear peoples thoughts on our situation and the concerns we have. This has to be the toughest decision we will ever make......
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:46 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all
Default Re: Really confused......

Originally Posted by Johnny DT
Ok, here we go. I am 30 years old and married, with a beautiful baby boy who is only 6 months old. My parents are divorced and my mum lives in England, while my Dad lives in Perth Australia. We have a great life in England - myself and partner earn a good wage and have flexible working (Quantity Surveyor and Nurse).

However in the back of our heads we are thinking that life could be better in Oz. We could get permanent residency as I qualify for the 140 points. On paper Perth sounds a great place to bring up a family, but we are worried about the usual issues and in particular finding jobs that match our great jobs in England, crime and the isolation of Perth (we would really have to choose Perth as we would want to live near my Dad). The good thing is that in terms of missing family there is no real change as no matter what I won't live in the same country as 1 of my parents.

We have a 3 week visit booked in January, but I'm worried that this won't really answer our concerns.

Sorry for the long post, but I would really just like to hear peoples thoughts on our situation and the concerns we have. This has to be the toughest decision we will ever make......
It's a tough decision. You appear to have a good life in England and the only reason for moving away from that life is if something is missing. Jobs wise, I believe your wife would have no problems gaining employment. I'm not a nurse (as can be seen from member name) but nurses are always in demand. I am not sure in regards to your position, but the market is in the crapper at the moment so give careful thought about what jobs are available. I'm no expert and I have probably haven't added anything but I just get the feeling from your post that you appear settled where you are.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

If you love your jobs and your life and do not mind the weather why not just have holidays in Perth.

As has been said your wife will have not problems with job but not sure about you in the present market.

Read lots of posts about others experience of Perth and see if they relate to you.

Personally me I would only move if I was moving for the weather, or a very good job which paid lots of loot as why give up something you are happy in.

Having a good life makes us prone to compare and once we compare I believe some sort of disquiet creeps into our lives.

Good luck with what you decide, more research I believe.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Maybe your holiday in Perth will give you some idea and your Dad would surely have a few tips. Please don't relocate just for the weather
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:19 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

i believe some people call Perth "a cemetery with street lights",i maybe mistaken as its 3 weeks since ive lived there,has anything changed?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:31 am
ABCDiamond

Some jobs advertised to show comparison salaries

Senior Quantity Surveyor
Kimberley WA $120,000 - $150,000
Sydney NSW $150,000 - $180,000

A guide on average salaries for Surveyor in WA:
http://content.mycareer.com.au/salar...y-surveying/wa

If I was in your shoes, I would work out if a 3 or 4 year trip could be made, without risking your future UK employment prospects.

Some people love WA, others dislike it. Most newcomers would prefer to have the same shopping facilities as the East Coast has.

Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

It's a good idea to come out for 3 weeks, but it won't give you the full picture of living here permanently. Having said that, you will be able to see if you like it here or not.

Personally, I wouldn't move just for better weather, especially if you have a good life over in the UK. Your wife certainly will be able to get a job as a nurse, providing that she doesn't mind what speciality she will be working in. There are still demands for nurses, but more to certain areas such as intensive care. I know that for fact that my hospital will not employ any nurses from overseas in the near future.
I can't really help you regarding your occupation, but I know someone at work who also emigrated and her husband is a Quantity Surveyor and has struggled to find a job (I think he's got one now after 7 months).

Perth is a good place, it is ideal for families and to bring children up, but you will find out for yourself when you come out.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by vicki78
I know that for fact that my hospital will not employ any nurses from overseas in the near future.
Why is that?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by looky
Why is that?
Because many hospitals taking on hundreds of graduate nurses from Australian universities.

BTW I meant hospitals are cutting back on sponsorships for overseas nurses, sorry, what I said previously was a bit misleading.

One of my friend is working at Royal Perth Hospital and they are doing the same.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some jobs advertised to show comparison salaries

Senior Quantity Surveyor
Kimberley WA $120,000 - $150,000
Sydney NSW $150,000 - $180,000

A guide on average salaries for Surveyor in WA:
http://content.mycareer.com.au/salar...y-surveying/wa

If I was in your shoes, I would work out if a 3 or 4 year trip could be made, without risking your future UK employment prospects.

Some people love WA, others dislike it. Most newcomers would prefer to have the same shopping facilities as the East Coast has.
Wow! Those salaries are way more then what most QSs earn in the UK.

How reliable is data like this? I have looked at job ads on the net, but tend to find that the salary is not revealed and they just say things like "excellent salary and benefits". If this data is reliable then it could be the difference between going and not going. Does anyone living in WA have any info on this and importantly are there permanent jobs still going out there......
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:18 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by this charming man
i believe some people call Perth "a cemetery with street lights",i maybe mistaken as its 3 weeks since ive lived there,has anything changed?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Really confused......

Originally Posted by this charming man
Yes, they've put up an extra light on the corner of St George's Tce & Barrack St. It's now considered a tourist attraction.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:52 am
ABCDiamond

How reliable is data like this?
Here is an example of one of those, but note the location... Kimberley...
http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/kimberle...enhanced&s=706

I don't know how that stacks up with your qualifications.

Here is another: http://mycareer.com.au/consumer/find...&jobid=7160278
also in Kimberley, (Junior Quantity Surveyor - Port Hedland. Salary $80,000 - $100,000)

You should talk to some job agents and ask for examples in the area you would be in.

Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:24 am
ABCDiamond

When comparing salaries, try not to use the current FX rate, use a multiple of average salary comparison for better results.

ie: That "Kimberley WA $120,000" is about double the current national average salary, how does your current wage compare to double the UK average salary, for your own comparison.

Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When comparing salaries, try not to use the current FX rate, use a multiple of average salary comparison for better results.

ie: That "Kimberley WA $120,000" is about double the current national average salary, how does your current wage compare to double the UK average salary, for your own comparison.
Eh! My salary in the UK is about double the national average. If $120k - $150k is about double the national average in Oz, then are you saying I wouldn't be any better off? I don't understand this as the cost of living as I understand it is less if anything in Oz. Surely therefore if I earn £40k in the Uk, but earn £65k in Oz ($130,000), I must be better off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.