British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/really-bad-out-there-now-then-725301/)

DownUnderPaddy Jul 19th 2011 10:53 am

Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 9504416)
We are talking Weebie World.
Not many have experience of it so please refrain from commenting. :D

Hehehe...fair point ! Noted ;-)

BadgeIsBack Jul 19th 2011 11:20 am

I see we are down to stats and desperate attempts to show one nation is worse than another...

drugs concern me in all countries!

murwullambah Jul 19th 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 9504126)
Have you ever being to Australia. Regarded as one of the drug centres of the world. As for opportunity - there are lots of people who arent in mining who are losing their jobs at a fair old rate that might disagree with you.

Yes i live in Australia, you want to try a few months in Manchester on the breadline you will soon come running back, maybe not to Dawsville.

"I have being to Australia" (QUOTE)

brendarover Jul 19th 2011 5:26 pm

With the exchange rate, coming from the UK abysmal.:(

Using the beer index, a pint of VB in the Pig and Whistle, must be touching $10 bucks, thats a lot of dollar for very little swallor............

Pollyana Jul 19th 2011 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by brendarover (Post 9505072)
With the exchange rate, coming from the UK abysmal.:(

Using the beer index, a pint of VB in the Pig and Whistle, must be touching $10 bucks, thats a lot of dollar for very little swallor............

Anyone who pays $10 for VB must be desperate :lol: Even Bulmers isn't that expensive in most places.

rosaleen1 Jul 19th 2011 8:23 pm

:D:D

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 9504132)
I could have sworn that was Dublin !

xzibit Jul 19th 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9505362)
Anyone who pays $10 for VB must be desperate :lol: Even Bulmers isn't that expensive in most places.

Neither VB or Bulmers are worth $1.

Bix Jul 19th 2011 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9505362)
Anyone who pays $10 for VB must be desperate

You mean people pay for VB? :ohmy:

Amazulu Jul 19th 2011 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 9504316)
The UK's drug problem is minute compared to Australia and New Zealand. Big difference between cocaine and meth.

Total and utter bollocks.

Where do you get this shite from?

DeadVim Jul 19th 2011 11:28 pm

============
A gram of pure cocaine cost US$137 in September, up from US$93 last year, and meth jumped from US$133 to US$245. (2007)
============

It might be worth giving up the bananas.

xzibit Jul 19th 2011 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9505760)
Total and utter bollocks.

Where do you get this shite from?

He has a point. I had to walk over to deceased druggies on my 3 minute walk to the station this morning. And was mugged by another druggie between the station and work. Don't even get me started on all the needles on the ground everywhere.

Rambi Jul 20th 2011 12:01 am

Originally Posted by xzibit (Post 9505809)
He has a point. I had to walk over to deceased druggies on my 3 minute walk to the station this morning. And was mugged by another druggie between the station and work. Don't even get me started on all the needles on the ground everywhere.

Did you manage to get to work or did the drugged up train driver smash it up again? :thumbup:

Turban Explorer Jul 20th 2011 12:07 am

I used to be able to guage how far I had to go on my walk into work from Clerkenwell to London Bridge by the vomit stains, urine puddles, and the position of the drug addicts in the subways. Too clean around here - I miss a bit of squalor here and there!

evomedia Jul 20th 2011 12:20 am

Having just moved over to Sydney, I can say the prices in comparrison are high at present, food especially, you can shop around but in general the food prices are 2 to 3 times that of back home, obviously the wages are also higher, but that first month when your here with the uk wage before the aussie pay is a real struggle, cans of drink say are back home 60p and here the same cans are basically £2, rent is around £600 a week in general and you'll have to really search for a bargain. Museums charge for entry, there is no NHS so you'll be paying for health insurance etc... So in comparison or if you were coming just for a holiday its very pricey. But when your on an Aussie wage its comparable again.

spartacus Jul 20th 2011 12:27 am

Originally Posted by evomedia (Post 9505849)
Having just moved over to Sydney, I can say the prices in comparrison are high at present, food especially, you can shop around but in general the food prices are 2 to 3 times that of back home, obviously the wages are also higher, but that first month when your here with the uk wage before the aussie pay is a real struggle, cans of drink say are back home 60p and here the same cans are basically £2, rent is around £600 a week in general and you'll have to really search for a bargain. Museums charge for entry, there is no NHS so you'll be paying for health insurance etc... So in comparison or if you were coming just for a holiday its very pricey. But when your on an Aussie wage its comparable again.

No they aren't, it's only the current exchange rates which makes them appear so for you (as a tourist/recent arrival) . . . and that's exactly why I wouldn't move here at the moment if I had money I had to exchange, because it locks your brain into 1.5:1 mentality permanently about the place. So when you buy your first house here it's 370,000GBP, and not the actual dollar price of $500,000 (which for me would be 200,000GBP at my 'personal' exchange rate of 2.5:1) . . . and you end up doing that with everything you buy, and it makes you unhappy and more likely to flick back to the UK . . . the same place you couldn't wait to get away from twelve months previous.