British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/really-bad-out-there-now-then-725301/)

chris and farideh Jul 23rd 2011 8:12 pm

Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9515090)
That is how many find it, of course others dont and they do well. The average Australian family is apparently struggling and seeing 1st hand the increases in just about everything I can fully understand why. An extremely common misconception is that you will automatically, almost magically be better off by moving here, it just isn't the case anymore.

Well said, when we came over it was suppose to be the good times & it was harder than I could imagined with no jobs for DH because he was over qualified. lol I have moved 3 different States he's done 4.:@ but seriously we left really good life back home to come here because of we thought we could do even better here how wrong were we. lol
And I lived in 3 different countries before coming here so it wasn't as if I didn't know nothing about moving.

Vegemite Kids Jul 23rd 2011 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ldticp (Post 9515035)
Thanks for posting this thats awesome and exactly what I've been looking for. Looking through the list most prices are fairly equivalent to UK prices. There are some notable exceptions such as banana's and mushrooms which are much more expensive but over all these prices are fairly equivalent.

I think anyone moving over and not getting/taking a job on at least 2 times would be crazy and to be fair looking at job sites ect salaries are generally 2 times +. Me personally I am going over as a transfer with my company, I am on £30k in the UK and have accepted $70k in Oz.

I understand what people say that prices have risen harshly, they have everywhere but I still think it is unhelpful saying you need 3 times salary to live the same when actual costs are not triple. What am I missing, if someone can post here what those hidden costs are I would appreciate it.

As far as I have seen so far the summary is, food prices are equivalent at 2.2 conversion most other things, gas, electric, rates ect are cheaper.

I just don't see how if everything is cheaper or the same at a 2.2 conversion you would need 3 times conversion in salary to live the same. Please enlighten me.

There are some items which are a lot more expensive in OZ than in UK.

Buying cars (either new or second hand) is one example that definately springs to mind.

Most other things ...... well it depends on what your lifesytle is currently like. I find a lot of people who say OZ is more expensive arent actually comparing like for like when you dig down in their posts.

Amazulu Jul 23rd 2011 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids (Post 9515156)
Buying cars (either new or second hand) is one example that definately springs to mind.

2nd hand definitely more expensive, but new cars, apart from certain European brands and luxury models, cost the same or are cheaper here. The Jetta I have costs less here and has a better spec.

Sherlock Holmes Jul 23rd 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9515163)
2nd hand definitely more expensive, but new cars, apart from certain European brands and luxury models, cost the same or are cheaper here. The Jetta I have costs less here and has a better spec.

True. :)

papilon Jul 23rd 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks for posting this thats awesome and exactly what I've been looking for. Looking through the list most prices are fairly equivalent to UK prices. There are some notable exceptions such as banana's and mushrooms which are much more expensive but over all these prices are fairly equivalent.

I think anyone moving over and not getting/taking a job on at least 2 times would be crazy and to be fair looking at job sites ect salaries are generally 2 times +. Me personally I am going over as a transfer with my company, I am on £30k in the UK and have accepted $70k in Oz.

I understand what people say that prices have risen harshly, they have everywhere but I still think it is unhelpful saying you need 3 times salary to live the same when actual costs are not triple. What am I missing, if someone can post here what those hidden costs are I would appreciate it.

As far as I have seen so far the summary is, food prices are equivalent at 2.2 conversion most other things, gas, electric, rates ect are cheaper.

I just don't see how if everything is cheaper or the same at a 2.2 conversion you would need 3 times conversion in salary to live the same. Please enlighten me.

Which city are moving from in the UK and which city are you moving to in Australia?

When you rent for me it is cheaper here in Melbourne than it would be in London, but when you come to buy it will be a huge difference if you are moving from a place outside of London. This would be the same in Melbourne, Sydney and Perth and probably Brisbane ie where the majority of Australia lives.

papilon Jul 23rd 2011 8:40 pm

On a brighter note today i purchased 7 books 3 of which were hardback for $30 from The Book Grocer shop on Clarendon St in South Melbourne
The books to start with are heavily discounted but at the moment they have a further 50% off. :thumbup:

Vegemite Kids Jul 23rd 2011 8:41 pm

That's what I mean. If you compare like for like (eg, VW Jetta to VW Jetta), then OZ isnt necessarily more expensive, but a lot of immi's arriving want/buy the 4x4/SUV and then complain that OZ is sooooo expensive. Same with housing et al.

Rambi Jul 23rd 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by itxrd (Post 9514774)
Funny. Yeah $4 a loaf or 2 for $6 like you say if you want a good deal

Snickers is 1 pound a bar? Or 83p? Maybe in a minibar in mayfair

Ah! I misread your original statement. I though you said it was £1 a bar in the UK. I have no idea what they cost in the UK but there's a reason why English birds have big boobs :thumbup:

Rambi Jul 23rd 2011 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids (Post 9514886)
Hi Polly,
your post got me thinking so I went and did a search for an old thread I posted in May 2004 about the cost of grocery shopping, then went to coles online (cos the earlier shop had been done at Coles) and price checked the items. There were a couple of items (eg, kaffir lime leaves)that werent available online so I've left them out of the list, but found that the list I posted in May 2004 cost $291.28 and at todays prices costs $439.10 - a 50% increase. Really surprised me as I thought it would have been higher!

Good comparison. I wonder if it would be worth doing it again in May next year to reduce seasonal effects. :thumbup:

Veggies are definitely more expensive in the Aussie winter than in the summer.

Bix Jul 23rd 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids (Post 9515156)
I find a lot of people who say OZ is more expensive arent actually comparing like for like when you dig down in their posts.

Very, very true.:thumbup:

itxrd Jul 23rd 2011 11:48 pm

Yeah this is true. Japanese cars are a little bit cheaper. New only of course.

itxrd Jul 23rd 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids (Post 9515201)
That's what I mean. If you compare like for like (eg, VW Jetta to VW Jetta), then OZ isnt necessarily more expensive, but a lot of immi's arriving want/buy the 4x4/SUV and then complain that OZ is sooooo expensive. Same with housing et al.

Yes but if you can't afford a new car and want a car then the only thing you can go for is used. And they are waaaayyy more expensive here. Or are some of you going to tell me they are cheaper here than in the UK too?

I suppose this sums it up. If you are willing to adapt and change your spending habits then you probably can find ways to spend less and get by. I think this would be very difficult though. With the lack of internet shopping and search engines that compare costs you just end up paying the going rate. And that can be expensive

itxrd Jul 23rd 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9515294)
Ah! I misread your original statement. I though you said it was £1 a bar in the UK. I have no idea what they cost in the UK but there's a reason why English birds have big boobs :thumbup:

Ha ha

itxrd Jul 24th 2011 12:01 am

Wow. Vegemites list is something else. Awesome you put that together!!

IDticp - I've tried to explain it and given examples but obviously you don't agree. Before I came I was like you - oh I'll be fine $70k is a lot of money I'll be fine. When someone told me how expensive it was I just thought 'who is this asshole'.

What I'm trying to say is I am not telling you this for my own health. If you don't want to listen to my advice that's fine. But within a few hours of being here you will see for yourself

If I had a choice of 30k UK or 70k Oz it would depend which city I was in. So 30k UK in Glasgow is better than 70k Sydney. Or 30k Lon is worse than 70k adelaide. However like for like I would take the 30k UK everytime. To me 30k UK is not a bad wage - its pretty good. Here in sydney 70k is poor.

I really stick by 3. Guess you'll just have to see for yourself. Not everyone agrees with me here but you can see a fair few do.

Amazulu Jul 24th 2011 12:04 am

Originally Posted by itxrd (Post 9515560)
Yes but if you can't afford a new car and want a car then the only thing you can go for is used. And they are waaaayyy more expensive here. Or are some of you going to tell me they are cheaper here than in the UK too?

I suppose this sums it up. If you are willing to adapt and change your spending habits then you probably can find ways to spend less and get by. I think this would be very difficult though. With the lack of internet shopping and search engines that compare costs you just end up paying the going rate. And that can be expensive

2nd hand more expensive to buy but you get more when you sell

There are some good price comparison sites - shopbot, getprice, staticice spring to mind

I never buy anything before checking price comparison