Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it realistic or even possible?

Is it realistic or even possible?

Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it realistic or even possible?

Originally Posted by chicaescocesa
Well...we are in Scotland!!
That is hardly the arctic
Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

chicaescocesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha try living here!
Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is hardly the arctic
I'm visiting my family in Toronto right now. It was -11 with a windchill of -21 today. My niece's kids walked to and from school today and went out to play until dinner time. Same as I did when I was growing up. It's a whole lot easier to dress warmly and go outside than it is it go out when it's 40 with a UV index of 14.

As for lifestyle, it really is not much different. I still get up in the morning, commute an hour to work, come home, clean the house, make dinner, go to bed, rinse and repeat. Weekends are usually taken up with grocery shopping, gardening and maybe if the weather cooperates I'll go for a hike or for coffee with friends. Not much different than what I've done all my adult life.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha try living here!

The reality is that kids will go out at any time. The problem is usually that the parents are the ones who are reluctant.

I remember my kids being out all the time and we had to drag them in at times to go to bed

For me a colder climate gives far more options to get out and about

On another note.....you really need to see ii you can get a visa. Opportunities are very limited for teachers. You can not get a job in the public sector unless you do your time in the sticks...that would give very limited opportunities for your husband.

You could work in private schools in the cities but there will be a lot of teachers looking for the same thing

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

I would seriously reconsider your options. I would never, I repeat never do it again. Its costs thousands and thousands of pounds. From the day the first ink touched the immigration forms until the day we finally started earning money, with all the validating and returning due to family issues, which we would not have had to incurred financially if we had never emigrated. Well we have spent close to fifty thousand pounds, and all we have to show for it materialistically is a car worth probably around $5k. Don't get me wrong we have some great memories, and its been an experience. I will never ever wonder what it s like to emigrate, or to live in Australia, to work in Australia. But time again, no way hosay. The wrinkles, the hair loss, the weight gain, the stress, the missed moments with family back home, never ever worth it. If your unhappy at home, then you will be unhappy here. Simples. I agree with all other posters on here, try a months holiday, do not commit before you try, good luck.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr.../#post10494296

That was my worst moment in Oz, its got better, but not a lot.

Last edited by blackcab; Jan 5th 2015 at 11:33 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:51 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Contemplating emigrating to Oz.

We have a 2 year old daughter and we are 34 (me) and 42 (hubby). DH does not have any qualifications - he has been self employed in various guises for nearly 20 years. He does have a class 2 HGV licence which he could upgrade to class 1 or would be happy to retrain. We do have money from the sale if our business and property here (circa 250k) to start us off.

Does it sound like there would be opportunities for us in Australia? Would we be considered for emigration?
My no nonsense approach to this, take the bull by the horns, no nice is me when it comes to waffling whinging Poms, so forgive me for the harsh response

I'm wondering who of the two of you has the mid life crisis?

Have you been to OZ say for a visit in the heat of the summer?

What about a relocate to some other part of the UK?

Or is this about thinking the grass is greener somewhere else?

Hey, I'm all for change even at my age. Like others before & after me that can relate, part of my journey is simple.

Having left the UK to Canada into the wild unknown, green & wet behind the ears, no family or friends when we got there, no jobs & no fear. 14 years later we moved to OZ then to NZ with PR in each place. After that back to Canada with long periods in the USA & all in between long work periods in some hell holes in Asia & the sub-asian continent.

Life was tough, we never had the resources or the internet when we made the first step as immigrants & we never looked back

Its nice to have a safety net, cushy job, family & money. When you dont have most of those things - you have nothing to lose

You do what you thinks best for you, others experience may not work for you.

The leap of faith is for those bold enough to take it. If you waffle, you'll forever wonder 'what if'. and if you do emigrate you may end up being ping-pongers.

My suggestion is to make an application to emigrate on the basis of what you have. Worse thing that can happen is you'll get accepted.

Search the visa classes available to see where you fit

Find a visa

If you're sure (better than 60%) you want to emigrate, then begin the process today, more importantly take a recce to OZ & explore.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 12:26 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I will do. At the moment we are merely considering it as an option.
what does this mean, is it different than your OP, that you posted "Contemplating emigrating to Oz"

Maybe a holiday home in Europe may be a better idea for us, I don't know.
You don't know what you want, or do you?

We were even thinking of renting out our house here and seeing if I could get a teaching job abroad in an international school for a change of scene for a couple of years! Don't know what we want, maybe that's the problem!
what about middle earth - take a look at Malta?

Last edited by not2old; Jan 6th 2015 at 12:37 am.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You complain about it getting dark early in the winter but, at least, you get the late summer evenings.
Here is is dark early every night of the year...the latest maybe around 7.0 pm....and that is in the height of summer

To be honest the weather is one of the main reasons we are going to return to the UK.

Bring on some weather which will allow us to get out and about.....without cooking or slathered in suncream

BTW my grand daughter in Cambridgeshire is always out and about and always has been...she is now 5....where do you live where the weather is so awful?
You should really state that you chose to live in Brisbane which comes with silly humidity and some backward idea that daylight saving is no fun.

You do realize that the rest of Australia doesn't come with the moans you preach about.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Beoz

You do realize that the rest of Australia doesn't come with the moans you preach about.
Still Australia though
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Still Australia though
Not really fair to cast Brisbane's pitfalls across a public forum when people are making costly, life changing decisions, and may not be going anywhere near Brisbane.

You should really try to clarify your beef's are localized.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Not really fair to cast Brisbane's pitfalls across a public forum when people are making costly, life changing decisions, and may not be going anywhere near Brisbane.

You should really try to clarify your beef's are localized.
Not really fair to give an unrealistic impression either.

I don't have localised 'beefs'....it is still the same petty bureaucratic, tedious, dumbed down country wherever you go.

....and I would hardly call Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide's weather perfect at the moment either..Hardly conducive to outdoor activity

What is it they say about putting lipstick on a pig......?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't have localised 'beefs'....it is still the same petty bureaucratic, tedious, dumbed down country wherever you go.

....and I would hardly call Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide's weather perfect at the moment either..Hardly conducive to outdoor activity

What is it they say about putting lipstick on a pig......?
You do have localized beefs. You bang on about humidity. Where is the humidity in Adelaide? Melb and Perth don't get it much either. You bang on about it being boring. Sure, Brisbane is boring, no doubt, but I've never been bored in Sydney or Melbourne and you rarely hear those in Syd or Melb complain about that on here.

By all means, call Brisbane humid and call it boring but extending it beyond that place and lying about other destinations for your own personal misery is not really fair for those using this forum as an avenue of information.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:58 am
Bitter and twisted

You do have localized beefs. You bang on about humidity. Where is the humidity in Adelaide? Melb and Perth don't get it much either. You bang on about it being boring. Sure, Brisbane is boring, no doubt, but I've never been bored in Sydney or Melbourne and you rarely hear those in Syd or Melb complain about that on here.

By all means, call Brisbane humid and call it boring but extending it beyond that place and lying about other destinations for your own personal misery is not really fair for those using this forum as an avenue of information.

I love how easy it is to get you Uncle Poms frothing at the mouth

I wish fly fishing was as easy
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I love how easy it is to get you Uncle Poms frothing at the mouth

I wish fly fishing was as easy
I'm actually quite surprised how defensive you are about Brisbane - after all you said about her
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:29 am
Bitter and twisted

I'm actually quite surprised how defensive you are about Brisbane - after all you said about her
If I "bang on" about humidity all the time perhaps you would like to point out a few posts where I have even mentioned it,never mind "banged on" about it.

It should be easy for you if there are so many....or did you make that one up?

The only defence I will give Brisbane is that it is better than the other cities I have spent time in....incuding Sydney.

My son lived for quite a while in Mosman and we visited fairly often and I was in North Bondi recently......where I have family.

But, of course, that will not count although your trips to Brisbane will, no doubt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.